AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - need some help in regards to a breakout cable.

I have one - 6' in length that works fine with my LT150. However I need about 30' in total. I have strung together several 6' extensions to do this. The picture has degraded severely with this setup. I'm seeing rolling bands of lighter contrast through the picture.

Also near the top of the picture I am getting the occasional bright flash.

Is a 30' run always going to result in picture degradation or will a reasonably price run of this length of cable not comprimise the picture.

Otherwise I am looking at a major reconfig of my HT setup to support the FP.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Lou,

Multiple cables usually results in problems.

I use a 35' breakout and have not noticed any visible signal

degradation.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
498 Posts
I second Bob on that. I have a 10 m (33') home made breakout cable. Due to the thickness of the coax. cables I used, I could not solder (I'm a real amateur at this) them direct to the HD15 connector. As a temporary solution I then used 6 short (4 cm) cables and joint them with the coax. even so I can't see any degradation of the picture compare to the 1 m VGA to VGA connector that the Projector came with.

------------------

BR /// Rob

·
Registered
255 Posts
Best way to do it is using one cable from start to end and use an adjustable wide-band RGB amplifier which you set so that at the projector the voltage is the recommended voltage for your projector (1Vtt or what's in the manual) In that case you overcome the loss in the cable...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - long cables don't exist locally. Looks like I'll have to order 1 online somewhere.

------------------

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dizzman/Chris thanks for the replies.

Chris - I read the thread but I don't have a clue as to how to do it.

------------------

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lou,

It's really not difficult to make one of these cables, but I understand if not everyone knows how to solder or has the desire to learn how to do so. If you know anyone who could help you do this, that would be your best bet. If you don't know anyone who could help you do it, and you still think you'd like to go this route, my son and I are offering to build these for people who really don't want to do it themselves. Another forum member was our first "customer"; we built his cable last weekend. We charged him $20 ($10 per HD-15 connector) in addition to our out-of-pocket costs. His total cost for a 28' cable was $64.60, including shipping. I did the soldering, but worked for free. My son (who is 10) gets to keep the money and I have fun spending time with him. We'd be happy to build you a cable if you'd like. E-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.

- Chris

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Another approach is a SHORT breakout http://www.avcable.com/Merchant/merc...ory_Code=SVGAB

followed by a longer run of 5 wire http://www.avcable.com/Merchant/merc...gory_Code=HRGB

The advantage is that you can use a higher quality coax for the longer run (very hard to solder thick coax to a vga connector)

Are your 6' extensions vga connectors? vga connectors have horrible impedance characteristics. BNC makes for a much better "splice" connector

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 08-02-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alex,

You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY with that method!!!

Plus WARRANTY on a premade cable is smarter because like ALL of us...WE WILL MOVE THE CABLE AROUND and possibly break impedance of the ends.

GOOD LUCK!!

KD

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought a 6' VGA-BNC breakout cable. With some BNC-RCA adapters, I connected the breakout cable to my 30' Ultralink component cables. Using a Pioneer interlaced DVD player (DV5), I am seeing a lot of noise from any pictures that display a single color (ie. the initial blue startup screen from my DVD player). I am not seeing any rolling color bands or weird flashes on the screen, just a lot of "crawlies" moving back and forth really fast. Does anyone know if this is a signal degradation problem or if that's how interlaced signal looks like on a LT150?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chris - thanks for the kind offer but I ordered one from Avcable.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.