AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Xinhua News Agency of China: Breakthrough in 3D technology set to revolutionise the world of 3D content and delivery systems.

In what looks to be a development which could have far-reaching implications for movie theaters, TV manufacturers and home cinema enthusiasts, the multinational Chinese TCL Corporation , headquartered in Huizhou, Guangdong, China, has released details, inadvertently it seems, of a revolutionary 'monoscopic' 3D system which could render all current 3D systems obsolete overnight.

Currently, all 3D systems require the use of 'stereoscopic' technology which is both expensive to implement in end-user systems, whether commercial or domestic, and which requires massive investment on the part of content creators in the fields of both movies and television.

News of the new 'monoscopic' system broke late last week when information apparently destined for the company's in-house intranet was mistakenly published instead on its publicly-accessible Internet website. It appears that the relevant page has now been removed. 

The monoscopic technology apparently builds on the well-known phenomenon whereby, when viewed with one eye closed, regular 'flat' 2D content appears to have a strong 3-dimensional appearance, as can easily be checked at home simply by viewing content with sufficient inbuilt depth-cues with one eye closed. What this means is that with the aid of specially developed monoscopic 3D eyewear, any movie, TV program or other content can be viewed in 3D even though it was originally created in 2D. For the content makers, this means they can not only rid themselves of the considerable additional expense of authoring content with costly and cumbersome 3D camera rigs, but also that all current content can now become 3D content with no additional work or expense.  For consumers, it means that all of their current DVDs and Blu-rays will suddenly become 3D -- even when viewed on a conventional 2D television screen.

The monoscopic glasses apparently work by shutting off vision to each eye in turn at very high speeds, simulating the 'one eye shut' effect described above. All that the consumer needs is to buy pairs of the special monoscopic eyewear and he is all set, regardless of the type of display -- or content -- being viewed.

The development is likely to be viewed by the industry as a double-edged sword. On the one hand, content will become easier and cheaper to produce but on the downside distributors will no longer be able to charge a premium for 3D versions of major movies and TV manufacturers will find that sales of new 3D displays simply evaporate. Consumers, however, are likely to welcome the move as the special monoscopic eyewear is likely to be highly affordable and certainly far more so than a new display or projector.

Nobody from TCL was available for comment at close of business yesterday. Spokesman for the company, Mr Èzuòjù Xiàohuà, refused to confirm or deny what he described as 'unfounded rumors'. TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings stock closed at a high of 9.1 on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange .  

·
Banned
2,406 Posts
Wow that's awesome!

I've personally tried watching content with one eye closed for up to 20 minutes and the effect is actually very convincing. Your brain automatically creates a kind of 3D effect from one eye (that's why people with one eye aren't always falling over or knocking over things, etc) However, watching content with one eye is not so great after a while as you become really fatigued. But, I challenge you folks who think this is some kind of BS, to actually try it! Someone on a 3D forum once said it would work and I thought he was BS me, but I tried it and was surprised that in created a 3D effect from 2D content.

I'm guessing that this special eyewear will require some kind of processor "box" go between the glasses and the output of the source to create the 3D image from all content.

The only negative I see to this is that you will get NO POPOUT at all with this method, and you won't get a specific 3D effect that you can now if a director intended to do something creative with 3D.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster  /t/1525237/breakthrough-in-3d-techn...3d-content-and-delivery-systems#post_24554999

I have no clue how this 3D depth would be controlled, however?
From the white paper, they seem to be exploiting the eye's ability to vary depth of field. The science was over my head, but they mentioned something about adjusting brightness levels to open and close the iris. This way, they could adjust depth, while our eyes compensated for brightness changes (like how our eyes do automatic white balance when we go from indoor light to outdoor sunlight).

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1525237/breakthrough-in-3d-techn...3d-content-and-delivery-systems#post_24555767

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster  /t/1525237/breakthrough-in-3d-techn...3d-content-and-delivery-systems#post_24554999

I have no clue how this 3D depth would be controlled, however?
From the white paper, they seem to be exploiting the eye's ability to vary depth of field. The science was over my head, but they mentioned something about adjusting brightness levels to open and close the iris. This way, they could adjust depth, while our eyes compensated for brightness changes (like how our eyes do automatic white balance when we go from indoor light to outdoor sunlight).

I tried watching a movie with one eye closed, and they are right - there really is a great 3D effect. If you do it on a 2D version of a movie made in 3D - eg Avatar - it really is amazing. Of course, it is odd and strangely tiring to watch with one eye closed but these new monoscopic glasses will give the same effect in a more 'natural' way.  I like your analysis of the technology - makes sense to me.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/1525237/breakthrough-in-3d-techn...3d-content-and-delivery-systems#post_24556300

Of course, it is odd and strangely tiring to watch with one eye closed but these new monoscopic glasses will give the same effect in a more 'natural' way.
It is fatiquing, which is why some camera operators and still photographers wear an eye patch, or why an eye doctor will cover one eye rather than make you close it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701  /t/1525237/breakthrough-in-3d-techn...3d-content-and-delivery-systems#post_24556300

I like your analysis of the technology - makes sense to me.
Thanx, but I can't take credit, since the white balance analogy was their's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah and playing a stereo soundtrack in simulated surround is just as good as a soundtrack mastered in 5.1.

Simply put: no way. Snake oil...

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart  /t/1525237/breakthrough-in-3d-techn...3d-content-and-delivery-systems#post_24556978

Yeah and playing a stereo soundtrack in simulated surround is just as good as a soundtrack mastered in 5.1.

Simply put: no way. Snake oil...

Not so sure. TCL is a publicly listed company and they have a good reputation in China as a serious electronics company.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts