AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Dogfish Head, Delaware - Sam Calagione, Lead Brewer Bryan Selders (r.) and Brewmaster Floris Delee (l.) ponder the ingredients of Bitches Brew in their brew pub "laboratory."

Auckland, New Zealand - Luke Nicholas of New Zealand's Epic Brewery shows Sam how to select and prepare tamarillos. Indigenous to New Zealand, the tamarillo is similar to a tomato and often used in main dishes and seasonings. Sam wants to partner with Luke to create a new tamarillo beer to enter in the local "Beervana" competition.

New York City - Sam serves up brand new Bitches Brew at the Sony Records dinner party held to celebrate the new release of the classic Miles Davis album About to take a taste is Vince Wilburn, Miles Davis' nephew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery Channel /forum/post/16230447

About Brew Masters:

It's cold, it's comforting, it's beer ... but for Sam Calagione, founder of one of America's leading craft brewers Dogfish Head Brewery, beer is a passion, a business and a personal quest for best, most imaginative brews. Premiering Sunday, November 21 at 10 PM E/P on Discovery Channel, BREW MASTERS follows Sam and his partners in suds as they travel the country and the world sourcing exotic ingredients and discovering ancient techniques to produce beers of astounding originality.

From chocolate to mussels to tomatoes, Sam is constantly pushing his team and himself to innovate and celebrate the amazing world of beer and beer making. The imagination of the Dogfish Head team is matched only by the fun they inject into every facet of their jobs. Beer tasting meetings in the conference room with co-workers, a bocce ball league in the parking lot, filming original rap videos in the brewery plant, it's all in a days work for BREW MASTERS.

Running a successful business also requires inspiration, so BREW MASTERS hits the road for the ultimate beer tasting road trip. Sam sets out to recreate "ancient ales" that have been discovered at sites around the world from Egypt to Peru. He travels to Rome to research old world Italian beers as inspiration for a new site in New York with Mario Batali. A visit to New Zealand introduces the idea of making the "first tomato based beer." And back home, Sam is tasked to come up with a commemorative beer called "Bitches Brew" to celebrate the 40th anniversary release of Miles Davis' famous recording.

"Beer has always been my passion. It is so much more than what you see in the glass. I'm excited to share the diligence, daring and creativity that we pour into our work," said Calagione.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/brew-masters/

Brew Masters airs on Discovery HD on Sunday's at 9:00 PM CST

_ * _ *_ * _ *_ * _ *

Great episode tonight. I love me some good beer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
This looks to be a great show. I was flipping between this and Sunday Night Football and the little bit I saw was interesting. It's on the DVR so I'll try and check it out today.

I'm a big fan of Dogfishhead brews. I really like their 60 minute IPA. There's some other good brews around me like Victory and SlyFox. I've been tasting some brews from Smuttynose Brewing Co and Founders and they make pretty good ones as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Watched this last night. It was interesting. I believe in future episodes they'll travel to other breweries and places (countries) to learn about how other beers are made, and things like that. I set a series recording for it.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Only problem is that Dogfish Head hasn't been meeting their usual delivery quotas to distributors over the last couple months, which has made it hard to find some of their beers around here. Maybe they should spend less time in front of the camera and more time actually making beer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts