Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Brian...GE Brown

You two seduced me into this purchase.

Now I don't know what to do with it. Unfortunately my box has no manual.

I can get one tomorrow though. They had two more.

I got this model.

http://www.110220volts.com/Merchant2...01/urc9910.jpg

Looks real cool. Its the one I was hoping to find and has a booster box. Mine is pink Um the only thing though is I thought it was supposed to have some sort of jumper cable to download. I looked in two of the boxes before buying. Looks like it doesn't come with it but I definitely see in the battery compartment a 6 prong jumper plug.

My projy isn't even set up yet so I have a few days.

Can you direct me to where to get a JP1 connector and download for Brian's 12XX codes?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh crap. I just found the cable on the JP1 site. It costs more than the friggen remote.

You can get the easy USB 40 dollar one or take a chance and buy the cheap one, but if it doesn't work you have to buy the thirty dollar circuit board adaptor which all in all I guess is sixty bucks by the time you pay S&H.

I think if I knew it was going to cost $100 bucks I'd have bought the real one for $89.:(

Well. I do like that its illuminated and operates everything. I must not forget that I can control lights and other cool stuff. Still I am slightly bummed by the cost.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I think I spent $12 making the cable. I could make one for you if needed.

If you don't mind telling my how much that remote was that would be cool too because my One For All Cinema 7's buttons are getting worn from years of daily use.

My file is up on the jp1 users yahoo group. Let me know if you have trouble getting it.

I have no trouble with the cheaper cable.

Don't worry, we can work it out.

I guess your remote does RF for the automation codes. That will save you most likely. I had to buy a IR to RF converter for my OFA Cinema 7.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm pretty sure that remote does IR and UHF.

There is a projector section in the JP1 files library and Sony 1271 is there.

The cable is not hard to make. The JP1 stuff takes a little getting used to, but you'll get it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
I think I spent $12 making the cable. I could make one for you if needed.

If you don't mind telling my how much that remote was that would be cool too because my One For All Cinema 7's buttons are getting worn from years of daily use.

My file is up on the jp1 users yahoo group. Let me know if you have trouble getting it.

I have no trouble with the cheaper cable.

Don't worry, we can work it out.

I guess your remote does RF for the automation codes. That will save you most likely. I had to buy a IR to RF converter for my OFA Cinema 7.

-Brian
I really can't complain about the price since I bought it with a birthday gift certificate. After I wrote, I saw the kits and they were starting at seven bucks. I don't understand the logic of making the connector so prominent and easily accessible to users and not including a cable. Since I don't have a solder gun I may buy the cheapy and cross my fingers. Sorry I was such a weenie. Even if it costs the same as a real remote, In the end I think I'll be happier only having the one remote for all my stuff.

My unit with the IR booster was $49.95, but I saw it at Buy.com for close to 35 bucks. You migh prefer their Kameleon models which go for about the same price. Changing interface touch screens. They didn't have them at the store I had the gift certificate for. But that was fine as I sort of like real buttons.
http://www.radioshack.com/images/Pro...5/l15-2133.jpg

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisentient
OK, so which remote is this?

I assume it is RF to IR? Looks cool...

James
Its a One for All URC 9110 with IR RF link. I don't have batteries in it but it looks like its supposed to glow pink instead of amber. I kind of hope it does glow pink. Looks nicer on the box.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
I'm pretty sure that remote does IR and UHF.

There is a projector section in the JP1 files library and Sony 1271 is there.

The cable is not hard to make. The JP1 stuff takes a little getting used to, but you'll get it.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks, I'll seek out the projector section as soon as I build my little cable. :)

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I prefer real buttons I don't want to have to look at the thing to find the Vol- or mute button if I need too.

I bought a DIY cable kit and I even had to add the header on my remote but the solder pads were there. The cable is pretty simple to build and it works perfectly. Have-ing the RF link will save you over having to buy the X10 thing that does that for like $40. (Assuming you ever program in control of automation stuff since that's all RF for the most part.)

-Brian

I don't think you need to solder to build the DIY cable. I think it's just a matter of doing some crimping but I don't exactly remember off hand.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiccow
. . .I don't understand the logic of making the connector so prominent and easily accessible to users and not including a cable.
One For All - or whoever is the original manufacturer - did not intend for end-users to learn how to program these remotes. It was all figured out by hit and miss (read "hacked") and has now become a very sophisticated IMHO set of programs.

FWIW, One For All's new remote controls are NOT JP1

But the JP1's are still readily available and once you get the hang of JP1 programming / manipulation, are REALLY versatile.

FYI

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
I prefer real buttons I don't want to have to look at the thing to find the Vol- or mute button if I need too.

I bought a DIY cable kit and I even had to add the header on my remote but the solder pads were there. The cable is pretty simple to build and it works perfectly. Have-ing the RF link will save you over having to buy the X10 thing that does that for like $40. (Assuming you ever program in control of automation stuff since that's all RF for the most part.)

-Brian

I don't think you need to solder to build the DIY cable. I think it's just a matter of doing some crimping but I don't exactly remember off hand.
I did see they offered solder and/or solderless options. But I avoided the whole problem by finding another company...Hovis. They sell the basic cable already built for 14.95. Their USB version was more expensive than the other company though.

I just ordered it so I am happy as a clam again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
One For All - or whoever is the original manufacturer - did not intend for end-users to learn how to program these remotes. It was all figured out by hit and miss (read "hacked") and has now become a very sophisticated IMHO set of programs.

FWIW, One For All's new remote controls are NOT JP1

But the JP1's are still readily available and once you get the hang of JP1 programming / manipulation, are REALLY versatile.

FYI

Oooh. I am happy I bought it while its still around. I am building a cheapy theater which I still hope looks nice. But if I can afford it I really am looking forward to pushing remote buttons to dim the lights. The less you have to get up to tweak things, the more impressed your guests are with the presentation.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cable hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know how it goes, but with the cable its probably smooth sailing. There might be a slowdown cos my projector still hasn't been moved into the still being constructed theater and fired up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.