Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Online Retailer

Votes: 20 50.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people are buying online and how many are going to a store? What drove your decision (savings, customer service,, return policy, etc.)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought online mainly because I don't want to pay tax. In TN, the sales tax is 9.95%. It's a gamble, though, because I can't return to a store.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found from my personal experience buying form a quality merchant online to be far superior to the flim flam you get at B&M I have also found customer service to be better at online merchants as well and lets face it in most cases you don't pay sales tax, and the prices are better you just have to make sure before hand the return policy and if they are possibly an authorized dealer to get the manufactures warranty honored should you need it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brick & Mortar. My decision was driven by the ability to quickly & easily return & exchange sets if something was wrong - and it sure came in handy. I went to BB, and returns/exchanges couldn't have been easier. (YMMV.) It was worth paying a little more for me.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Yes, it's always handy to purchase it from a local store in case you need to return it at this moment but how much more are you willing to pay?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Returning is a big issue with me when the item is large and expensive to ship. That's why I wouldn't buy something like a large TV online. Sure they may offer free shipping to you, but if you want to return it or exchange it, is it free shipping back to them and the replacement shipped free? Questions to ask.

Supporting a B & M, and paying a little bit more for the item isn't always a bad thing. There are some things I just prefer to see in person to make sure it's what I want.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradg /forum/post/0

Sure they may offer free shipping to you, but if you want to return it or exchange it, is it free shipping back to them and the replacement shipped free?

Yes.

Quote:
Supporting a B & M, and paying a little bit more for the item isn't always a bad thing.

I'm not worried about supporting a B&M, I'm worried about supporting the manufacture of the product, and since when is a $200.00-$300.00 difference considered to be "a little bit" more?
That extra $300.00 goes into the B&M's pocket as extra profit above and beyond the profit that they're already making on people. Doesn't look like the B&M is putting the customers best interest first

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have any of you actually had to return a tv to an online vendor or manufacturer? Can you share your experience?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought my 46XBR3 from a forum sponsor online. My choice was a compromise between a super-cheap online nightmare and an overpriced B&M.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet HDTV /forum/post/0

Yes. That extra $300.00 goes into the B&M's pocket as extra profit above and beyond the profit that they're already making on people.

Double yes. There were news stories a few months ago stating something to the effect that the reason that some B&M electronics stores were closing permanently was that the stores were not making as much money on flat panel televisions as expected due to the prices dropping faster than the B&M's thought they would. WELL HOW ON EARTH DID ELECTRONICS STORES STAY IN BUSINESS BEFORE FLAT PANEL TV'S WERE INVENTED!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1927 /forum/post/0

Have any of you actually had to return a tv to an online vendor or manufacturer? Can you share your experience?

In my experience (I have purchased many big tickets items online) and I may have been lucky but I have yet to have to return anything to a vendor or manufacturer again maybe my experiences are unique but I've saved tons of money and it has been well worth it. But, I did make sure the sites were legit, and reputable with good return and RMA policys even some price match capabilities for after sale. To each there own though.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1927 /forum/post/0

I know of one person who had to do this. It took around a week and was relatively painless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts