AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
922 Posts
I read on AVS that SurgeX has licensed its technology to several other makers, Brickwall being one of them.

· Premium Member
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathik /forum/post/15411764

Are there any differences between the Brick Wall and the SurgeX panel mount surge suppressors?

brickwall.thomasnet.com/item/industrial-surge-protectors/panel-mount-unit/pwp20?&forward=1

surgex.com/products/sx20ne.html

I can't tell from the specs why the Surge-X is about $60 more other than the pretty sticker on the cover.

There is info (and advertising) at:

- Brickwall

- Surge-X

- APC - try the white papers especially

(and of course every power conditioner/surge/etc site and AVS forum comments).

I have a thread on this where I was exploring this issue.

I own Adcom, Fuman, Surge-X, Brickwall, APC, Panamax, MA, etc.

Bottom line:

A non-MOV approach is best.

Surge-X is supposed to be the newer SM protection.

The products are high quality.

Read the thread link above and other sources and consider posting off that thread or PM'ing Caltech for advice.

You can get Surge-X off MSRP at Fullcompass.com.

Products page (MSRP).

I've worked with Joel Dennis there before.

(I'm not commercially involved in any way with any of these products, people, or companies).

Good luck.

Mike

Rack: Middle Atlantic WR-37-32 + PDLT-815RV-RN
Power: 20A lines, house elec & coax (Intermatic) surge, Surge-X SEQ

- powered L/R/subs: Panamax M2A20

- DVR/proj UPS: Furman M1500-UPS-PFP
Bar & Gym: Surge-X SA82 FlatPak(s) for LCD TVs

· Registered
922 Posts
SurgeXs approach and white paper is not entirely without controversy.

A problem is a white paper is potentially biased information from vendors trying to sell their wares. The least biased organizations have been clear about how to resolve power or surge issues from the late 1990s: IEEE, NEC, NEMA, and NIST among others.

1. Do you have power quality, PQ, problems ? That is not fixed by power line filters or MOV based surge suppressors. So long as power fluctuations are within the ITIC curve, formerly the CBEMA curve, a power supply can function properly. Its a defacto standard for power supplies, initially for computers and now for most all electronics.

http://ecmweb.com/powerquality/elect...ve_name_curve/

2. Do you have surge or transient issues? A series mode solution requires a typical shunt mode suppressor placed before it. This is only in relation to transient and surge suppression as part of PQ, its not for reducing power line inteference low enough to improve audio and video quality, and where the series mode device has a role.

· Premium Member
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturation /forum/post/15551930

SurgeXs approach and white paper is not entirely without controversy.

A problem is a white paper is potentially biased information from vendors trying to sell their wares.

True.

The whole area of power surge/conditioning/etc. often stirs up a lot of friendly and not so friendly debate.

I was just trying to provide some resources and a conclusion I came to.

It is interesting in the APC white papers when I was reading them, that they seemed to argue against using one of their own products -- the J series.

I discussed that about midway in this linked thread .

Mike

· Registered
922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/15552039

True.

The whole area of power surge/conditioning/etc. often stirs up a lot of friendly and not so friendly debate.

I was just trying to provide some resources and a conclusion I came to.

It is interesting in the APC white papers when I was reading them, that they seemed to argue against using one of their own products -- the J series.

I discussed that about midway in this linked thread .

Mike

Yes, couldn't agree more.

I'd hate to to be partisan to a vendor, but APC's and its white papers are an exception. I've read many of them, and their position is often neutral or academic.

APC has always had a policy of strong customer satisfaction, and their equipment provides no-nonsense electrically and electronically sound performance. In my prior life, I dealt with over 4000 surge suppressors, many by APC.

As APC grew to a powerhouse that they are, they did not loose sight of what brought them to prominence. But, all could change, so its best for us consumers to take advantage of this mutualism, while we can.

If you need quick answers to power or product issues, even just general comments, their forum generates responses within a few hours:

www.apc-forums.com

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update,

I went with the SurgeX. It came very well packed and the unit seems well built. I mounted it on the unfinished side of my media room instead of at the service panel so as to try to avoid picking up EMI from the 25' of Romex leading to the room.

The little green LED is on but only time will tell if it blocks surges.

· Premium Member
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathik /forum/post/15657461

Just an update,

I went with the SurgeX. It came very well packed and the unit seems well built. I mounted it on the unfinished side of my media room instead of at the service panel so as to try to avoid picking up EMI from the 25' of Romex leading to the room.

The little green LED is on but only time will tell if it blocks surges.

Congratulations.

I hope you never need it or notice it.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.