AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't find another thread on this, merge if there is one. I had my first experience with Bollywood tonight, rented B&P and really got caught up in it. I know it's a merger of east and west, but I was impressed with the energy, acting, script, score and the spirit of a Hollywood from the late 50s'/early 60's musical. The lead actress Rai (can't remember her first name) is radiant. She eats the lens. Very hot. Very beautiful. I'm going to have to explore this genre.

A very enjoyable musical comedy.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Liked this one my own self.

Bollywood movies, taken on their own terms, can be lots of fun. If you liked this one, try the even better Monsoon Wedding and Bend it Like Beckham.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
The lead actress Rai (can't remember her first name) is radiant.
Aishwarya Rai.

She is hot, ain't she? There's never any skin in Bollywood flicks, but we get the message anyway.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood
If you liked this one, try the even better Monsoon Wedding and Bend it Like Beckham.
I'll second the recommendation for both of these, but wouldn't really classify either one as Bollywood.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hollywood/Bollywood is another decent bollywood flick. I'm always entertained by the sudden breakout of song and dance...its corny but fun. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
:)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'll check them out...

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm usually a big fan of movies from Indian producers like Salaam Bombay, Monsoon Wedding, Mississippi Masala, Bend it like Beckham, etc - but this one was way too Bollywood for my liking. The corn in this thing was through the roof. The last straw was the LA lifeguard dance number - just painful hockum.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
All the movies listed so far are not really "Bollywood" movies. They're mainstream or independent flicks made by Indian filmmakers in the U.S. or U.K showcasing Indian culture/people. Couple other good flicks in that mold that haven't been mentioned yet are: East is East, American Desi, ABCD, & Bhaji on the Beach.

Bollywood movies are those made in India itself, namely Mumbai (formerly Bombay, where "Bollywood" gets its name). Lagaan is a good movie, although not your typical Bollywood fare. Some popular flicks that actually are good include Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Dil Se (excellent music & cinematography), Dil Chata Hai, Sholay, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Satya, Company (the latter two are crime/gangster dramas), & Taal (with Aishwarya Rai) to name a few. Most can be found @ Netflix.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
Bollywood movies are those made in India itself, namely Mumbai (formerly Bombay, where "Bollywood" gets its name). Lagaan is a good movie, although not your typical Bollywood fare. Some popular flicks that actually are good include Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Dil Se (excellent music & cinematography), Dil Chata Hai, Sholay, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Satya, Company (the latter two are crime/gangster dramas), & Taal (with Aishwarya Rai) to name a few. Most can be found @ Netflix.
English or subtitled or both? I have no problem with subtitles. It usually makes more sense meshing the body language and tone, even if I don't know what they are saying. :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ron and HTCrazy,

Two other good ones you might like are

American Chai: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264355/ and

The Guru: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280720/

These are not true Bollywood, more like Bend it Like Beckham or Monsoon wedding. Both are comedy/drama, though the Guru is downright silly at times.

I'm white and married to an Indian woman (actually 1st gen american). My inlaws were just rolling on the floor with The Guru.

Enjoy.

Sooke

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
Couldn't find another thread on this, merge if there is one. I had my first experience with Bollywood tonight, rented B&P and really got caught up in it. I know it's a merger of east and west, but I was impressed with the energy, acting, script, score and the spirit of a Hollywood from the late 50s'/early 60's musical. The lead actress Rai (can't remember her first name) is radiant. She eats the lens. Very hot. Very beautiful. I'm going to have to explore this genre.

A very enjoyable musical comedy.
That movie was so bad it couldn't watch it in its entirety. Just plain horrible :eek:

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Yes, "American Chai" is a good one.

Most Bollywood movies are available w/English subtitles on DVD. If you like song & dance fare, "Taal", "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam", "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge" & "Dil Se" would be easy recommendations. You definitely need to get yourself in a different mind-set when watching Hindi/Bollywood movies though :). But, they can be fun.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55
That movie was so bad it couldn't watch it in its entirety. Just plain horrible :eek:
Put a smile on my face :) If you're in the mood for a farce and something different, what's not to like?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi,

I really liked this movie, a good laugh. Yes, the main actress is beautiful, amazing eyes. I particularly like the scene when the girls are in the street shopping , singing about getting married. All of a sudden the whole street comes a live with people in really bright cloured outfits and turbans too. Great soundtrack too, I love the drums and other percussion in the other big dance scenes. Fun stuff.

Regards

Juz

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke
Ron and HTCrazy,

Two other good ones you might like are

American Chai: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264355/ and

The Guru: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280720/

These are not true Bollywood, more like Bend it Like Beckham or Monsoon wedding. Both are comedy/drama, though the Guru is downright silly at times.

I'm white and married to an Indian woman (actually 1st gen american). My inlaws were just rolling on the floor with The Guru.

Enjoy.

Sooke
I wasn't crazy about The Guru, but maybe I'll check out American Chai. Mississippi Masala and Salaam Bombay are highly recommended for dramatic films.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk
Aishwarya Rai.

She is hot, ain't she? There's never any skin in Bollywood flicks, but we get the message anyway.

Did you know that Aishwarya Rai is Miss World 1994 ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must admit that she didn't catch my fancy. I like the chick in Bollywood Hollywood more. Bollywood Hollywood is a great film BTW.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieNerd
I must admit that she didn't catch my fancy. I like the chick in Bollywood Hollywood more. Bollywood Hollywood is a great film BTW.
Me too!! It was flat from both, Hollywood, Bollywood standard!

Chadha made a good movie as BILB and BH imho I prefer any day or stinky mush BAP!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.