Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One wonders why Yamaha is going to bother introducing this

piece in Aug/Sept. Won't it be obsolete by then -- what with six-element color wheels proliferating and everyone showing new models that incorporate the 16x9 chip?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Pete,

If the 720p chip projectors make it out by September, it will be a miracle.

If they are available for less than 10 grand, it will another miracle.

If the first gen 720p projector has 900:1, that will be the final miracle and God will fall from the heaven after suffering a severe heart attack from his miracle works.

So to answer your question, this guy should be on top for a while and will be priced accordingly.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. People, stop blinking and watch the movie..."When I closed my eyes, the black level appeared quite nice; however, the lumen rating became very questionable."

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Well I sure didn't have to blink or go through any other gymnastics to see the rainbow on the version of this projector demoed at CES. Seems a bit silly to me to release this projector with 3 segment color wheel when the competition (Seleco) is already incorporating the much better 6 segment wheel on products that are on the market now. And I understand that DWIN will have it very shortly and the Infocus HT projector is also supposed to have it.

Be interesting to see what the reviews look like.

Dan

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Quote:
If the 720p chip projectors make it out by September, it will be a miracle.
Mr. Wigggles

I am shocked ! I have invested the ranch on this happening.

I saw a few prototypes at the CES with my own eyes - they exist honest.

I saw the announcements from TI.

I have read it in the magazines.

"It must be true".

Are you saying that new 1280x720 will not be out as stated by TI in the 3rd/4th Quarter 2001 ?

If history and lessons learned on deliveries are anything to go by, how can you say

this is not true ?

Miracles do happen

"I saw it in the second coming".

DavidW

[This message has been edited by David Wallis (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Dan,

That was 6 months ago and it was on the mi-2 demo.

And you forgot to mention how it was short on lumens also.

I have not seen the projector. Yamaha didn't make it to Infocomm. Let's see the unit with a 480p input.

David,

Maybe Christmas for the Sharp unit. I don't know of any other 16:9 unit close. Someone was told that it will be shipping to dealers at the end of August for an MSRP of $10K, but I will believe it when I see it. Just like my IS300 with a manual transmission on order. I could use God's help there as well.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hrrrrmmmm....

It will be interesting to see if the Sharp can keep on schedule for Aug/Sept. Since it's being selectively shown around, (i.e. not just slideware), seems like it has a shot.

Besides, you have to imagine Sharp wants to ship this puppy in the small window where they'll be the only fp with this capability on the market.

The most interesting question is will I have a chance to purchase this projector before I get my panamorph.

Wiggles....Walter Kircher posted his hearsay specs at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006789.html. What secrets do you know that make you think they won't meet the contrast/lumen specs?

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Arrow,

Those specs aren't current at all.

Please note the RGBWRGBW color wheel. Having the white (or clear) section does make contrast ratio easier to meet.

Another member of this forum who saw the Seattle show said the contrast was better than the 11HT but not as good as a good d-ila.

But then again everything's a prototype until it official production units arrive in stores.

-Mr. Wigggles

BTW, I would love to be wrong on this one (just like my like my IS300 with a manual transmission)

------------------

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles:
Another member of this forum who saw the Seattle show said the contrast was better than the 11HT but not as good as a good d-ila.
I read that. What I took away from his comment was the demo he saw didn't blow him away as much as I would have hoped.

--Les

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just got to see this new PJ at my local HT dealer. The DPX-1 will be released sometime around Aug/sep. It was the only one in the country. As far as I know this was the final product, accept it will get a software upgrade before they hit the market. This very projector was being shipped to Germany next week for an upgrade. It was being demoed on a 200cm wide 1.0 Gain 16:9 screen. The DVD player was hooked up with S-video :-( Since there wasn't any cables awailible, cause the Yamaha's got BNC connectors.

This projector boasts a 900:1 contrast ratio. 1024x768 resolution. 800 ANSI lumens. It's got some cool inputs. Video, S-video, RGB input A uses 5 BNC connector and RGB inpu B a 15 pol D-Sub. It also got a DVI input. And another input I haven't seen before, called D4-Video. It also got the usual RS-232 connector, and a trigger output.

The color wheel is a 3-segment (RGB) design. They removed the clear section, but didn't double up the colors.

So how did it look? Well it look very good. Black was black, contrast was very very good. Since we used S-Video the picture wasn't compleatly noise free, but going component, or progresssive component will probably do alot about that.

Then what about the rainbow? At first I didn't notice it. Then I started doing the blinking game I have learned on this fine forum. When I blinked fast on bright pictures, alot on white text on black background, I could see what must be the dreaded rainbow effect. Big areas of red and green mostly. It looked like they were between me and the screen. Strange stuff.

With a better scaler (and/or connection) this projector will be really superb (accept for the rainbow). So for people not sensitive to it will have to check it out.

One great thing about this projector is the sound level. It is the most quiet PJ I have ever heard (or not heard). Compared to the Seleco HT-200, it was much more quiet. It is even more quiet than the Sony 10HT. In absolut quiet parts of the movie you could hear it a bit. But you didn't need to turn the sound up much before you couldn't hear the projector.

Lamp life was 2000 - 2500 hours, and a bulb will cost about 500 Euro.

And the projectors price will be around 10K Euros.

'sa'

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Wigggles,

I'll grant that it's unlikely we'll see the new 1280x720 16:9 projectors at sub $10k retails when they first appear,

but I don't think the Yamaha is priced much below that range. So why buy the Yamaha in Aug/Sept when the more advanced product will be hitting the market soon thereafter. My guess is we'll see a bunch of prototypes at

CEDIA and first shipments will materialize in late November.

Pete

·
Registered
835 Posts
If they're only showing protoypes at CEDIA, you won't be seeing anything on the shelves in November... I haven't heard of any 720p DLP FPTV's being shown at exhibitions other than the Sharp at CES2001. Perhaps the Sharp has some chance of making it out in the next few months, but I wouldn't hold my breath. From what I hear, protoypes are hard to come by and the 720p chip has only recently been released to manufacturers by TI.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kam,

Real product can ensue from prototypes fairly rapidly if the

prototypes have been engineered in advance of the chip release. It's just a matter of tweeking and dialing in the engines. There will be imense pressure for everyone to show their version of 16:9 1280x720 at CEDIA. Granted, some will be closer to shipping product than others. But I'm confident there will be several to choose from for Christmas.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pete,

As much as I'd really like to see that, I don't think it's very likely. I agree with you that there's probably a lot of pressure to show some kind of 720p FPTV at CEDIA, but I'm not so optimistic about how long it will take to make it to market. I can't think of one projector that has gone from nothing (in public) to market in less than 4 months. 720p chips aren't so scarce that manufacturers wouldn't have *any* to make a protoype with, so I would conclude that the reason they haven't been showing then is because there aren't any.

I sure hope I'm wrong though...I think we'll be lucky to have the Sharp before the new year.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.