AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am experiencing a weird issue.

When watching SDTV my X1 has bright bars(bright enough to notice), about 6'' wide moving from bottom to top.

I also got a new DVD player and now I can see them on the new DVD feed also.

What can they be? Could it be bad S video cable?

When I choose Native feed, I can see the bars on the screen only on the video part..the dark grey Bars on both sides have no such issue...

I dont really know what this could be..

Any guess..

·
Registered
58 Posts
you should test the 'black bars' for this problem by feeding them a white signal (or bright scene on a 4:3 DVD). i am willing to bet that they will show up there as well.

sounds like a power problem to me. ac is notorious for rolling bars (usually black). dont know exactly why but it has to do with the 60Hz alternating current pattern. you should try making sure all your gear is grounded properly, if that doesnt work i would either try a line conditioner (not just a surge protector) or check to see if your cables are running too close to high voltage wires, or parallel to high voltage wires for more than a foot or so. see if you can isolate the problem to just a piece of gear, or an electrical outlet (there will be numerous outlets on the same circuit so you might have to go into another room with an extension cord for testing purposes).

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yup, ground loop. If you time it, you'll see the bar takes six seconds to go from the top to the bottom. That's because of the difference in frequency between AC (60Hz) and NTSC video (59.94Hz). You can try putting all of your components on the same AC circuit. It could also be your cable TV.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have also seen this same thing on my X1. I notice it mostly in dark scenes, and it is very distracting. On mine, it takes approx. 6 - 8 seconds for the bars to reach the top. I have lots of things plugged in, so the ground loop issue is my top suspect. I had to use a cheater plug on my Samson 1000 sub amp to eliminate a 60 Hz hum on my audio. I can also hear a very slight buzz on my Denon 3802 when I have the volume cranked. I've still got to mount the X1, and I'm expecting delivery of a new XP50, in addition to running cables, etc ... I'm going to get on it this weekend. Looks like it's time to start shopping for some power conditioning solutions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
it is probably a ground loop being introduced by your cable. Niles sells a ground lifter that goes in line with your cable. I used it and there are no more bars moving up my screen. It should run you about $30-$50.:)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried moving everything away to isolate the component giving me trouble and it turned out to be the $20.00 surge protector...All my components are plugged into IT and as soon as I move it about 3 feet away from all other components, even when all are still plugged in...the problem went away...

Thank you again for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.