AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'd like to thank you for all of the information that I've read in the forums over the last few months.

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the projector and screen for my dedicated, light-controlled media room.

(17'11" x 13', 9 foot ceiling)

We watch mostly blue ray, with some HDTV (verizon FIOS) thrown in as well.

Only a few sports games a year...less than 10.

My budget for the projector is $5k or less. I do want bang for buck. I'd be willing to spend more if there would be a serious upgrade in image quality and brightness while maintaining good dark levels. I also do like the DLP look, but appreciate the LCOS as well. 3-D capability is interesting, but not a big deal breaker for me either way.

I am willing to spend money on a good screen...thinking the Stewart studiotec. Would also consider a perfed screen.

I want to install a 135" cinemascope set-up, but have gotten down to a few questions.

Should I get a curved screen, or is that only when using a A-lense?

Will the new Sony be bright enough to fill 135" even after some bulb dimming, or should I be looking at the BenQ W6000 (which almost seems like it's running into it's second year of production...) or something else? The Mitz 9000?

I would also consider using an A-lense if it will truly complete the cinemascope experience or if a good projector doesn't handle the zooming method as well as the lense would work.

Any advice you can give would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattInTexas /forum/post/20779622

...Should I get a curved screen, or is that only when using a A-lense?...

Any advice you can give would be truly appreciated.

You should use an anamorphic lens so you don't lose (about 20%??) so much light output. Also if going with the Sony HW30 I think you would need a scaler too since it doesn't support a 2.35 screen.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
The Sony will be bright enough for a 135 diag scope screen. As for curve screens, they work well with any type of anamorphic lens as the lens creates a little bit of curvature on the top and bottom. It can be hidden with a little bit of play, but with a curve screen, the curvature follows the screens and its completely hidden.

Without the lens a curve screen still has some benefits. Many theaters i go to have curved screens. The best part is that they are really cool looking.

If you need any help please feel free to call

1 - 3 of 3 Posts