AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. It's been a long while since I have been in the market for a PJ as I am still thrilled with the theater room unit I bought years ago, and still don't plan on replacing it.

This time around I need a projector for my living room, or great room as my wife calls it
. I have a rectangular room about 20'x16'. The far long wall has two french doors, one short wall has a three segment 6'x3' casement window, the other short wall contains a large built in fireplace with stone surround all the way up to the angled cathedral peak at 21', the other long wall is mostly a half wall open to the dining room then kitchen {open floor plan} and on this wall I put up a 52 plasma and a glass shelf equipment unit. THE ROOM JUST DOSENT WORK. The far wall, being about all glass that looks out over rolling hills and timber is a strong focal point as is the short wall with the fireplace and extensive stone work. I then, in all my brilliance, decided to put a good size plasma on the long half wall joining the rest of the house AND POINT ALL THE FURNITURE AT THE PLASMA! Needless to say I have gotten more than a few uncomplimentary comments, not only from the wife, and its time to remedy the problem. The easy way out would be to just return to no display in the living room, there's other displays large and small everywhere else to watch, but if I can pull off a projection setup that works well I think it would see quite a bit of use.

So the next plan of attack involves removing the plasma and equipment shelf and implementing a projector and an electric screen hidden above the french doors, ready to drop down when needed. This should allow me to arrange the furniture naturally again and all should be fine with the look and flow of the room.

My concern about the projector for this location is that it be bright enough to handle whatever light I cannot control by use of blinds on the doors and window in the room. The room also has several large skylights in the cathedral ceiling, none of which are positioned to allow light directly on the screen, but they do certainly brighten the room. The room is also open to quite a bit of non-direct lighting from the rest of the rooms on the floor by way of it's half wall, open hallway, and above by way of the small overlook from the second floor.

That's a long way to go in order to ask about a projector recommendation, but I wanted to give a fair account of it's intended environment. The projector will see signals form satellite HD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray. After a brief search here at the trusty forum I thought I would probably go with the Optoma HD71. I had also considered the Panasonic AX200U but thought it probably would not be quite bright enough, but Im not really sure? Same goes with the Epson Home Cinema 6100, although the extra resolution would certainly be nice, can it handle all the indirect light? For the projector I really do not wish to spend more than 2k. The electric screens are fairly pricey on there own, and I would like to upgrade the projector in the theater room within a year or so which will probably be quite a bit more money.

I would appreciate your comments on these three or any other units I may have overlooked that would be equal to the task.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

I'm in similar situation with a brighter room and considering these bright ones:

Optoma HD71 720p dlp

Optoma HD806 1080p dlp

Panasonic AX200U 720p lcd

Mitsubishi HD4000 bright business dlp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
larko,

I'm sure we will get some input soon enough. Also, I had a chance to do some more research this afternoon and it seems that the Epson 6100 may possibly be bright enough. The following is a quote from Art Feierman's blog entry over at the Projectorreviews.com blog concerning the 6100
"Very bright, Nothing I can think of is brighter in brightest mode without spending twice the price or more."

I would love to hear from those that know, is the Epson 6100 at least as bright as the, often recommended for bright viewing situations, Optoma HD71? If others agree I can keep this thread pretty short, and I will order one up, and keep my use of this bandwidth to a minimum.

·
Registered
222 Posts
2000 Champ the Epson 6100 is a light canon. if you purchase it and need to use Dynamic or Living Room mode based on the ambient light you have i would get a copy of DVE and use it to set up the projector.

My area is light controled so I mainly use TB1 and watch movies. Friends come over to watch the NFL games and I turn the lights on. To me those 2 settings where way off and the DVE helped correct the pq. Granted every situation is different depending on the lighting you have.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Benq SP831

- 4,000 lumens

- 1280x768

- HQV video processing

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:
Benq SP831

- 4,000 lumens

- 1280x768

- HQV video processing

Ditto.

The SP831 is more than twice as bright as the 6100. For home theater use, it really is a light cannon. It's going for well under $2000 right now.

And don't forget to get a grey screen. In a non-light controlled room, you'll want all the contrast you can get.

Jim

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
But understand one thing - any sunlight directly on the screen will kill the image regardless of PJ.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Here's a pic from a thread on the Optoma EP1691 rated at 2500 lumens. This will show you that daytime projection is possible but for specific types of content and with good control over keeping ambient light off the screen:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1024827

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I learned about the whole light control thing when I designed my theater. I have a ton of light, 9 cans - 2 wall lights - 10 high intensity low voltage fixtures, but every amount of light hits its target and either reflects away from the screen or stops. The room itself can be made incredibly bright and the image suffers very little. The wall that holds the screen for this project faces southwest, no direct sunlight will make it to the front of the screen, plenty directly behind it during the day, but the right blinds should handle that when need be. 90% of the viewing will be in the evening and most of that when the sun is down. But there will be times that it needs to be able to shine during the day. I may also find it more convenient to catch a game or race on that screen versus going downstairs to the theater, especially if it looks respectable. Assuming that both the 6100 and the SP831 can handle the ambient light duties, is there much difference between the two when the sun goes down? Or would the SP831 be more on par with the HD71 in the dark? If the SP831 is close to the HD71 in both daytime and dark performance I think I would like to save the grand and buy the Optoma. But again if the 6100 can handle the limited daytime use respectably I would guess it blows either away when the sun goes down for about the same price as the SP831?

Thanks again guys. If we can come to a consensus here that the 6100 can handle things as I have explained them, I'm going to click the order button.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
2000champ,

There is a demo SP831 at Projector People. You should check out the price it is very low. By the way that is my son sitting in my "Lazy Boy" watching the game.

bguzman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman /forum/post/15502784

2000champ,

There is a demo SP831 at Projector People. You should check out the price it is very low. By the way that is my son sitting in my "Lazy Boy" watching the game.

bguzman

Thanks for the input bguzman but the Epson 6100, while not as bright in brightest mode, seems to beat it about everywhere else. And it can be bought for about the same money when you can catch it on sale.

Unfortunately I missed the 6100 by a day when hhgreg had it discounted almost $500, and the current BB sale doesn't do me much good as I have to pay heft Illinois tax. It ends up costing me about the same as a retail internet order. I think I have found the projector, just a matter of finding it in stock when someone has a deal on it. I had thought about settling for the CC deal on the Proxoma HD71 for under $800 with all the discounts, after I went online to buy the Epson 6100 and found the deal was over for internet orders at hhgreg, and CC was also sold out of there HD71's!

The current plan is to wait for a deal to pop-up somewhere, hopefully from a forum sponsor, for the Epson 6100. If I don't find one and nobody pm's me a deal they have found on it within a few weeks or so I may go surfing for the HD71 or similiar again, but hopefuly I won't have to. I have kind of given up hope of a deal before the Super Bowl, unfortunately money is a little tight and I am forced to wait for a good price versus having it sooner.

Thanks again all, and be sure to send me a message if you spot a deal on the 6100!

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
2000champ,

For the ease of set up, lens shift, plus the added resolution I think you will be very pleased with your choice

Happy viewing

bguzman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts