AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm familiar with what "bright" speakers are, but that term used to refer to receivers is new to me. What are some examples of bright and non-bright receivers.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is a 'bright' receiver one that excels academically? Or one that when you turn out the lights 'glows'?

J/K!!! :D:cool::p;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
A college grad perhaps getting his degree ....ie a Bright Receiver!

OK , Everything except HK and B&K and under 3K in price.

;^)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Let me take a stab at this. This post will probably cause a bunch of people to freak out and call me every name in the book. Keep in mind these are generalities. There are always exceptions. To the best of my limited knowledge, it seems the rankings of brightest (#1) to warmest (#10 ) are as follows. I'm sure people will think the order is screwed up.

1. Yamaha

2. Sony

3. Panasonic

4. Denon

5. Pioneer

6. Onkyo

7. Marantz

8. Harman Kardon

9. Rotel

10. NAD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike69
Is a 'bright' receiver one that excels academically? Or one that when you turn out the lights 'glows'?
No it refers to black finish vs metallic or chrome. :D

I found bright is most noticeable when listening to music. I had a Marantz 6300 and returned it for a Denon 2803. The Marantz was decidedly smoother when playing music, almost fuller at higher volumes rather than more shrill. It was almost as if the Denon was a little bit more jarring or jagged in some of the transition points of a piece of music. On the flip side, the Denon, because it is more crisp, has much better voice separation on DVD movies, so the audio track is easier to discern. Its not that its better or worse, but different. These are my observations in my specific set up using my speakers. Your speakers and set up will be very different, and will definitely sound different.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just remember that one person's perception of the sound they are hearing is only specific to that one person. I personally haven't experienced much of the "warm" or "bright" characteristics that some say certain brands posess. You must experience and decide for yourself what brands are "bright" or "warm".

·
Registered
12,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by infosponge
Let me take a stab at this. This post will probably cause a bunch of people to freak out and call me every name in the book. Keep in mind these are generalities. There are always exceptions. To the best of my limited knowledge, it seems the rankings of brightest (#1) to warmest (#10 ) are as follows. I'm sure people will think the order is screwed up.

1. Yamaha

2. Sony

3. Panasonic

4. Denon

5. Pioneer

6. Onkyo

7. Marantz

8. Harman Kardon

9. Rotel

10. NAD
Very interesting... :confused:

Could you detail what the reference system setup was like speaker, listening room details and source material which was used.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
238 Posts
What is bright to others is detailed to some, conversely what is warm to some is fuzzy and low res to others. It is all a matter of your own personal perceptions and the speakers used.

IMHO the list should be reversed and then you get from the dullest and less detailed to the natural and most detailed.:D

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
infosponge - good list

I think we all agree that any opinion having to do with hearing should be kept at home. But then, this the Ol Forum!

I've known some dogs that don't hear well.

This will go the way of speaker discussions - All Over The Place.

Happy Listening To All...........And To All A Warm Night

E

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quote:
This will go the way of speaker discussions - All Over The Place.
I prefer DrSpike69´s good sense of humor :)

Anyway, Infosponge´s list may well start a flame war over here. I hope not.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
OK , Everything except HK and B&K and under 3K in price.

;^) [/b]

There are a pretty wide range of Cos. to look at .

What speakers wil you be using?

Do you want a receiver or Seperates?

Do you want to buy New or will you consider Used also?

You can get more value than on the used market. There are some great used amps for $3000 out there.Plinius is one of them.Look on Audiogin.

·
Banned
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Monstermile
I'm familiar with what "bright" speakers are, but that term used to refer to receivers is new to me. What are some examples of bright and non-bright receivers.
My many years of experience reveals that Analog Devices (AD) op-amps are generally clean and bright. But not musical or sweet sounding. I had thought that digital audio in it self was the brightness culprit. But switching back to the "inferior" bi-polar op-amps corrected that mis-perception.

Now CDs sound wonderful on my two high end systems. That is as long as I stay away from the "high-tech" expensive Analog Devices op-amps. IMHO these are one of the biggest setbacks ever introduced into the audio field. MOSFET power devices never delivered on their claims of improved sound quality either.

They are a few rabid AD supporters here and they tend to dominate the postings. Read-on I'm sure!

Excellent sounding bi-polar audio op-amps are inexpensive to manufacture. They are a commodity product.

What can improve the sound quality, is the removal or replacement of the electrolytic coupling/DC blocking capacitors. These passive devices generate considerable distortion. Of course this unglamorous subject is virtually ignored (as most people are easily led astray).

I can recommend my Sony 4ES receiver. It is neither bright or dull. It is transparent and musical. The input stage is direct coupled - no coupling capacitors. If you want bright and clean then buy Denon.

These are my findings. I listen to music most every day because of the immense satisfaction I receive. Enjoy the music!

·
Registered
193 Posts
infosponge,

even being subjective, I kind of agree with your list.

Quote:
It is all a matter of your own personal perceptions and the speakers used.
Yamahaluver,

I echo your voice...

All,

Which speakers better matches with:

A) Yamaha

B) Denon

PS: I know, I know!!! It depends on room conditions, personal preferences, music or DVD, bla, bla, bla... :D

Luck

·
Registered
918 Posts
If the Yamaha is the brightest, does this also mean it does the best job of reproducing every single detail in cases of extremely layered polyphonic electronic music? I wish someone could drag me into some high end listening booth and say, ok this is what bright sounds like, and this is what warm sounds like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.