AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that is looking to spend less than $3K on a projector. They want to fill an 8-10 ft. screen with some snap but the room is quite bright and not at all light controlled.

I am looking to find a compromise PJ for them and am now looking to you all for suggestions. So far I have found the Optoma HD71, which is 2400 lumens with a 4000:1 contrast ratio. It seems a decent choice...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
935 Posts
He'll also want to spend a significant chunk of his budget on a good screen. In a non-light controlled room, he's going to need a good one. Visit the screen forums on this site for recommendations.

Jim

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd look into a da lite High Power screen and of of the suggested pjs, or the epson 6500ub which is still in his budget.

How much light are you talking about, because sunlight will really destroy the picture and make it usless.

My optoma HD70 was rated at 1000 lumens and when light was added, it became washed out. With my 6500 the colors don't get washed out and maintain good brightnes and colors. I only bring this up because you should ask in the hd71 thread to see how it really handles light. Advertised numbers are not always the same as true numbers. I believe the 806 handles light very well, and would take that over the 71.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
You have obviously heard the old saying that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Well that very much applies to projectors, ambient light and image quality. It does not matter how bright a projector you buy, if you can't darken the room some what then the image will not be acceptable.

Since you are in the under $3,000 forum, for screen I agree with the suggestion of the DaLite High Power screen as long as you can set it up correctly. If you were in the over $3,000 forum then I would look at the following screens: Planar Xscreen or Black Diamond. These are screens that will work (provide contrast) in room with a lot of ambient light.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Another option is to look at the possibility of setting up the front PJ as a rear projector onto a screen designed for that purpose.

I know that this is usually not possible with a typical home's room design, but he may be able to pull it off with some creativity.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
720p - BenQ SP831, 4000 lumens, HQV processing - $1500

1080p - Optoma TX1080, 3600 lumens, 3 year warranty - $3400

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You MUST keep ALL direct light off the screen or this venture is hopeless.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So sorry, but it ain't about cake.

Ambient light is the enemy of a projected image and the more light to more visible is the degradation of the image.

Sunlight is a "nuke" or "weapon of mass destruction" to projection. To get a "at the movies" experience there is a reason why theaters go dark with darker non-reflective walls and ceilings and flooring for then the big screen lights up.

I use a Panasonic 720p HT projector and with a couple of table lights on that do not shine directly on the screen I get a viewable image but I don't get a really true HT image with even that relatively dim room light.

Lot of room light - lots of daytime viewing with lots of sunlight - IMO - buy a nice little television - 63 to 73 inch diagonal.

Best of Luck

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I second D James' recommendation of a High Power screen and the 6100 UB. Direct sunlight hitting the screen will obliterate any projected picture, but sufficient shade can be accomplished with blinds or curtains during the day, at least sufficient for bright scenes like sports. Film Noir at night only, regardless of your projector or screen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think a better option might be a projector/flat panel combo. If I had 3500 to spend, I would spend 300-400 on a Da-lite high power pull down screen, $2000 on a projector, and $1000 on a 50" plasma, but that is just me.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hust /forum/post/15607863

I think a better option might be a projector/flat panel combo. If I had 3500 to spend, I would spend 300-400 on a Da-lite high power pull down screen, $2000 on a projector, and $1000 on a 50" plasma, but that is just me.

I did almost exactly this, except for under 3K.

42" 1080p Plasma (11/07) - $1099 (w/free Blu-ray player)

Epson 6100 (12/08) - $1599 (still may price correct/match lower)

Da-Lite 106" screen (1/09) - $274

-comix

·
Registered
201 Posts
There are Other Options

Has your friend indicated eagerness to black out his living room? No? Has he mentioned eagerness to convert his basement or garage? No? Plenty of people enjoy stories and they do not seek theatrical experience.

Those who don't seek theatrical experience might enjoy good LCD panels at reasonable price available these days. An excellent LED rear projector is Samsung's latest 67".

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
hust's recommendation is probably the best for your friend, as it's the easiest solution to provide both daytime smallscreen and nighttime bigscreen enjoyment.

We have a livingroom projector that we use as our only tv display. We have 40 feet of floor to ceiling windows and no blinds. The combination of a retro reflective screen, a bright projector that is table mounted near eye level, a dark screen wall, and reasonable expectations of what type of content can be watched during the day make this setup work for us.

This setup depends on no ambient light coming from behind.

Here are some un-retouched snaps shot mid-day. Hope this helps.

Jonathan

·
Registered
903 Posts
What screen / projector combo do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Bright living room projector set ups can be done for way less than 3,000. My set up of an Optoma EP1690 and a Gray Wolf II screen can be had for about 1,200 and it's great for watching sports and HDTV with the lights on.

bguzman

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
justinluck,

Epson HC400 / 92" Dalite HiPower. I've also used an Optoma Greywolf I and have recently tried an EluneVision Luna HD Vivid Pro 2.4 gain white with good results.

Jonathan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts