AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my X1 for a few days now and have it roof mounted and throwing onto a 92inch (white) screen in a 3m x 4.2 m screen viewed from about 3.9m's. (i may mask this back to 82 inch not due to PJ's lacking but much of crapy source out there in TV land)

I am heaps impressed with the unit however (and i guess this is more a general Q than just the X1) at night when completely dark i have found that most scenes are very good but bright out door scenes seem too bright in that it lights the entire room up which i think in turn is causing any smaller black areas of the scene (ie back of black jacket) to be not as black as other darker scenes. I think the X1 is projecting the same black, its proably more that the room is brighter just for the scene.

What can I do to help this? I can turn the brightness down on the PJ but at the expense of darker scenes (same for contrast). The walls etc are off ****** colour which is proably most of the problem. If i cover them or paint them will this help a fair bit?

D

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can take the solution to this as far as you want. You need to reduce the amount of light being reflected off walls, ceiling and floor.

1. Many people use black felt around the screen to increase the percieved contrast levels.

2. Paint the room a dark colour with flat finish paint.

3. Change the colour of your carpet to a darker colour, or use rugs if you have polished floorboards.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carpet is dark green so thats OK (Screen is mounted fairly hight but anyway).

I was going to mask the screen with black felt but the felt i've found is far from black compared to some black velvet i've seen (which is heaps dear but). Is black felt black enough to soak up X1's 4:3 light spill (i 16:9 screen) or would the substantially blacker velvet be better? Or would the velvet be "too" black making the X1's black not look as black?

I may look at the paint option, a deep flat blue might be OK, not sure if the missus will allow it but :) hehe

·
Registered
490 Posts
Another option would be to use a lower gain(gray) screen. This will lower

your blacks and whites and even help with room reflections.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Black velvet will soak up light like nothing else. Wait for a coupon or special sale, and get yourself the velvet if cost is holding you back. I haven't seen that it's that much difference in price, though.

C

·
Registered
226 Posts
What about a neutral density filter? Search for a thread here about this. I am waiting for mine to arrive and give it a try. I'll post results here. I have heard here on this board that this may cut the brightness while not negatively effecting the black and white levels

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas, im thining coving all walls with deap blue or green curtains then maybe felt on the roof

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used to put black electrical tape over the lens to mask the excess light. You could get crafty and make a piece of cardboard painted black with the right size rectangle to mask the excess light also. I used velvet myself and I can still see one some dark seens the light spill of my Lt150z

Mac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.