AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a Sharp LC-70LE650 online and absolutely love the tv however I've noticed a grouping of pixels on the left center part of the screen that are brighter than all the other pixels. They're not noticeable when that part of the screen is dark but on bright scenes they stand out pretty well. The colors change to the correct color, it's just that they're brighter than all the other pixels. Here are pictures to show what I'm talking about:

So my question is does anyone know what the problem is? I've heard they might be pressure marks or maybe the LCD screen coating got scraped off but I'm not sure. Also, does anyone know something I could do to try and fix them or at least make them less noticeable? Because I REALLY don't want to have to hassle with shipping back a 70" tv. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousty  /t/1524404/bright-spot-of-pixels-fixable#post_24532718

So I ordered a Sharp LC-70LE650 online and absolutely love the tv however I've noticed a grouping of pixels on the left center part of the screen that are brighter than all the other pixels. They're not noticeable when that part of the screen is dark but on bright scenes they stand out pretty well. The colors change to the correct color, it's just that they're brighter than all the other pixels. Here are pictures to show what I'm talking about:

So my question is does anyone know what the problem is? I've heard they might be pressure marks or maybe the LCD screen coating got scraped off but I'm not sure. Also, does anyone know something I could do to try and fix them or at least make them less noticeable? Because I REALLY don't want to have to hassle with shipping back a 70" tv. Thanks in advance!
If you find a Disney WOW calibration disc it has a built in pixel flipper which helps with burn-in on plasma's and stuck pixels. I had an LG that had a similar issue as yours. My case there was something behind the that pressed against the screen causing the anomaly.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Uh, those are not stuck pixels. You can run the pixel flipper till the cows come home and it won't fix it. That looks EXACTLY like the "white spots" that are common to the 70" panel. Vizio uses these panels in their 2013 E701i-A3 too, and they are plagued by the same white spots, only visible on light colored viewing material, just like yours. If you get up close to them, you will see a clear spot, with the bright LED light showing through. These spots multiply and spread as the set ages. The screen is defective. My guess is a light diffusion coating on the back of the LCD panel is flaking off.

Others with your Sharp model have reported this as well. Look here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1517127/white-speckles-on-sharp-650u-series-tv

For comparison, here are some pictures I shot of a Vizio 70" at Costco yesterday. Pitiful. Not as close up as your picture and a bit dim, but you should recognize the issue as what you have.

·
Registered
13,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousty  /t/1524404/bright-spot-of-pixels-fixable#post_24532718

The warranty should cover in home repair or replacement. Use it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h  /t/1524404/bright-spot-of-pixels-fixable#post_24539248

The warranty should cover in home repair or replacement. Use it.
I agree. Those pictures are clear enough, better than most, especially since they show the defect with standard viewing material. Hopefully Sharp won't make him jump through too many hoops.

Yousty, let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts