40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the Z1 projects a picture with the following:

- a sky background

* bright sunlight or not

* outdoor or through a window

- light bulbs

- white clothing

those picture areas will be completely washed out. That is, it will be all white and no details. Whereas, when I watch this same picture simultaneously on my old TV I can clearly see the details. On the TV, I can see the clouds (in sky backgrounds) or wrinkles (on white clothing).

Is this normal? ...on the Z1? low-end projectors? all projectors?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Is your room light-controlled (ie. totally dark)?

Are you using the same source, that is, the same DVD player on both the TV and the Sanyo PLV-Z1?

Does the picture improve when using an HTPC instead of the DVD player?

Are you using component video? Progressive scan?

Are your cables of good quality?

What kind of screen are you using?

Are you using the default contrast and brightness settings? Try those if not, see if that improves anything.

Have you tried the gamma tweak for the Z1? (I don't have a Z1 yet, so I haven't had the need to search the forum for the tweak, yet).

I have an NEC LT240...sort of low-end (around $3500 US). It has no trouble at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
Is your room light-controlled (ie. totally dark)?

Are you using the same source, that is, the same DVD player on both the TV and the Sanyo PLV-Z1?

Does the picture improve when using an HTPC instead of the DVD player?

Are you using component video? Progressive scan?

Are your cables of good quality?

What kind of screen are you using?

Are you using the default contrast and brightness settings? Try those if not, see if that improves anything.

Have you tried the gamma tweak for the Z1? (I don't have a Z1 yet, so I haven't had the need to search the forum for the tweak, yet).

I have an NEC LT240...sort of low-end (around $3500 US). It has no trouble at all.
The problem is not my environment, but the parts of the picture projected with bright white source like sunlight or lights. But to answer your questions:

I have good control of lights in the room (it is totally dark). I am projecting onto my sheetrock white wall. My primary video source is from my satellite using good cable (Monster 6m S-Video Cable) versus some generic 25ft/8m composite video cable to the Sony TV. In addition, I get the same problems with my Panny XP30 in progressive scan output to component. For example: in the beginning scenes of Something About Mary, outside of school, the sky part is all white whereas everything else is very colorful and detailed. In other words, the Z1 projects excellent pictures (very colorful, sharp, detailed pictures) except just the parts of the the picture with bright light sources like sunlight or light bulbs.

I have tried tweaking the Z1 with no success. I have gone from minimum to maximum values for brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. And mixing various combinations.

I have called John at projectorpeople (where I bought it from) and he claims this is common to all low-end projectors. Is it? Upgrading to the Panny L300U is the same? I plan on borrowing a Sharp projector, couple of years old cost about $5K, to compare to the Z1. If I get the same problems with both projectors then I'll know the problem is not only the Z1. Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If someone has an HTPC they should be able to back off the contrast in the DVD player or video capture App to prevent the Z1 from crushing the highlights? I wonder if this can be corrected in the service menu? Do the HS10 & L300U do this? Do SMARTed projectors do this? :confused:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have Z1 and I don't see this problem. Have you calibrated your projector with AVIA or Video Essential or one of the newer THX Optimode? If you haven't calibrated your projector that isthe problem.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I do not see this problem. Also notice you say your room is totally dark?

Make sure you have some kind of backlight. Watching movies in an total dark room may cause injury to your eyes ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Z1 and when I have a bright image in a movie my wool living room lights up and the reflection of the walls and ceiling causes some reduction of contrast on the screen.

A directional screen would help or making the room darker like painting the wall's and ceiling darker.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yeti
I have a Z1 and when I have a bright image in a movie my wool living room lights up and the reflection of the walls and ceiling causes some reduction of contrast on the screen.

A directional screen would help or making the room darker like painting the wall's and ceiling darker.
Yeti I see the same thing you are seeing on my own set up, but if I understand correctly what the original poster was saying is something completely different. He is saying that the white details are crushed not that the image is washout or is lossing contrast.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
my guess would be that the high IRE levels in the greyscale are off (not same colour temp) they are pretty much equal to one another which is causing details to blend into each other. So basically, your 80-100 IRE levels could be the "same" and that is causing any details to be wiped out.

Don't know how well I explained what I am trying to say though:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for correcting me. You are right, the white details are crushed. What is interesting is watching the same picture side by side (projector vs old TV), my 13yo Sony TV shows the highlights with no problems.

I don't have any calibration video, but I'm doubting it would help. As I've said, I have tried adjusting all settings to all possible values (ie, brightness, contrast, gamma, etc) with no luck. For example, I've only made the whole picture darker, but the white details don't show up. Where as my old TV is fine.

I have poked into the Factory and Service menu too. Again with no luck. I have noticed my settings in service menu are different than the defaults posted on the yahoo! groups. I am hoping something here can correct my problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If reducing the contrast control on the projector doesn't correct the problem ( assuming your back level / brightness is ok ), then your video source must be over driving something prior to the brightness/contrast control in the projector. if your video source is OK, then something in the projector might be at fault, like no termination resistor in the video input or some gain is set too high prior to the AtoD converter, etc..

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
todd, you really do need a calibration disk like Avia. Going to the grayscale step pattern screen should tell you how well your projector is handling the different gray steps, and will make it much easier to tweak without using arbitrary material like cloudy skies and bright sunny scenes. With a grayscale pattern, you can tell if adjusting the brightness fixes your highlights but crushes your shadow detail, or vice versa. Avia will help you minimize the damage. :)

Of course, you could exchange the projector...probably easier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's $119 for a DALITE Model B 80x45. You aren't going to get a quality image on a sheetrocked white wall.

You also need to purchase or borrow an AVIA calibration disc.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
xallax reminded me...try holding up a plain white sheet of paper (or matte white cardstock) over the projected problem area of the image. If the highlight detail comes back, then it is definitely a problem with the sheetrock.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It sounds like the contrast setting is too high to me. Investing in Avia or Video Essentials would be a good idea.

You want to take a gray-scale pattern and make sure that whites are not being crushed by too high a setting. I was making this mistake early on until I found the correct test pattern in Video Essentials. Let me know if you want me to dig up which chapter/scene I was using.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yup...sounds like a contrast issue to me as well..

I use Avia and still have to turn the contrast down when watching hockey games.. I don't blame this on the Z1 but rather the crappy satellite feed.. If satellite tv is your primary source of viewing is NTSC signals, then you may also want to consider another peice of hardware to scale down the image..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.