Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I present these results from an unscientific experiment:

Until about a week ago, my home theater had Klipsch RF-5's connected to a Yamaha 5280. Some would say that that combination would result in "bright" or "highly detailed" sound. When my wife and I would listen to music or movies, there would be the "it sounds too harsh"..."does it have to be that loud?" comments.

I replaced the Yamaha with a Denon 2805 (considered "warmer" than the Yamaha by some). The other night we watched Dragonheart. Not one comment on "harsh" or "loud".

Only though observation, I have found that many women seem to be very sensitive to the upper registers. "Bright" to them often means "harsh" or "loud". So, at least in her case, a Denon is a better match for a Klipsch!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petergaryr

Only though observation, I have found that many women seem to be very sensitive to the upper registers. "Bright" to them often means "harsh" or "loud". So, at least in her case, a Denon is a better match for a Klipsch!
Not only are they more sensitive, but it's a fact that they hear higher

in the frequency range... most men by the age of 30 can not hear

above 16000Hz, women can.

I used to listen to the system with the treble knob cranked...

a combination of bad speakers and no knowledge of "balanced sound"

on my part. Ever since I put it center she has allowed me to listen

to the system quite a bit louder.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Dreamaster

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree.

Men's progressive hearing loss can also be a possible "x" factor in the "bright" vs "warm" discussions that pop up here occasionally. Just for fun, it would be interesting to compare the ages of men who think, say a Yamaha + Klipsch combination is very bright. It could be that younger men with no hearing loss would find that combination excessive, yet older men would find it "smooth" only because it is compensating for a reduction in their sensitivity to the higher register.

The old advice of "buy what sounds best to you" may be the safest after all!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I find the combo too bright (harsh is more like it), and I'm over 50 with some SPL-induced loss.

·
Registered
307 Posts
there is no WAF in my house. If there is any complaints she can go live with her mother

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm gonna tell her you said that. :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Petergaryr, there's nothing surprising there at all. Most would agree that the Yammies from 1 to 2 generations ago can get really piercing in the upper frequencies if mated w/ bright speakers such as Klipsch.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
as time goes on, it does seem that the name brand receivers are getting better and better.....

flatter frequency responses..... better ability to handle lower impedances..... and the built-in digital eq systems can definitely help to fine tune your speakers/room to a much better overall sound.....

and you are definitely right about women hearing better than men.....

cheers!

:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like the sound of my Pio-47TX and Klipsch combo. I auditioned the Klipsch speakers using the 47TX, Denon 3805, and a Yamaha 2400. I thought the Pio sounded the best with the Klipsch. So did my GF. I am 27 and she is 43. So I guess you could use that in your age-male/female hearing comparison. Raichu

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Have u ever notice that women have selective hearing. You can talk about football/baseball/hockey or what ever sport and they never seem to hear a thing u are saying. But wisper from the other side of a large room about their birthday present and they hear ever little detail....:)

I rem way back, I went to a dealer Advent spker demo. The tech's were saying that at the factory they have a young woman that test hi-freq for them. She actually can hear to 20K. Most men could hear only to about 16K at most at the demo using a freq generator.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I remember when I was young enough to hear the very high pitched whine that indicated a light was on its last legs and just about to burn out. The whine lasted anywhere from a few minutes to many hours. These days, however I couldn't tell you if lights still whine like they used to before they go out. Age has its benefits.

·
Registered
33,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmountainbiker
there is no WAF in my house. If there is any complaints she can go live with her mother
You got my vote for one of the funniest quotes of the year. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.