AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 1080p projector that will be in the basement. Will be primarly for watching sports. The basement will not be completely dark. The screen size will be a maximum of 90 diagonal. I will have 2 50inch plasmas on each side of the screen

Looking for a projector for less than 3500 street price that will be the brightest for this situation but still be good for movies also.

Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think you can get an Infocus IN82 for about $3500.

For your size screen and purpose however, I would get an Epson 1080UB. The epson is capable of producing 1600 lumens in its brightest modes. Keep in mind that in these modes the color may not be "accurate" however with some tweaking you can get it to look pretty good especially for hidef sports. Keep in mind it will never look like the 2 50" plasmas you are going to flank this with and the projector will seem a little dull and muted when watching them at the same time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I new the plasmas will be brighter. I wanted 3 projectors just cant figure out how to do it. I want the middle screen 16:9.

ANy suggestions?

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc /forum/post/14186662

I think you can get an Infocus IN82 for about $3500.

For your size screen and purpose however, I would get an Epson 1080UB. The epson is capable of producing 1600 lumens in its brightest modes. Keep in mind that in these modes the color may not be "accurate" however with some tweaking you can get it to look pretty good especially for hidef sports. Keep in mind it will never look like the 2 50" plasmas you are going to flank this with and the projector will seem a little dull and muted when watching them at the same time.

And certainly get a Da-Lite High Power screen to increase the brightness and to attenuate the light that is coming off axis from your viewing direction. The two combines will give you a bright picture that looks very good.

I have a VIZIO LCD and a IN82. The IN82 with the HP screen gives me a better picture than the LCD with great colors and a perception of brightness that is as good as the LCD.

I have the projector hanging from the ceiling where the picture just barely clears my head to be within the 30 degree max brightness cone. Actually I have to recline the theater chair some to get my hair out of the picture.

With the IN82 I use the vertical keystone correction to correct for the placement of the projector for maximum brightness.

Using the built in one pixel wide line grid, you can see what happens to resolution as you experiments. You might even want to use some sharpness added to see how it effects the grid lines after using the keystone correction.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rardijoh /forum/post/14186988

Well I new the plasmas will be brighter. I wanted 3 projectors just cant figure out how to do it. I want the middle screen 16:9.

ANy suggestions?

3 PJ's can be tough to accomplish without adversely affecting each other.

I would not worry about brightness too much. The plasmas will be brighter regardless of what you get. I'd go with what you like the best for features, price, etc...

Some considerations:

Epson 1080UB

Panasonic AE2000

Sony VPL-VW40

Infocus IN82

BenQ W5000

Just to name some of them...

·
Registered
83 Posts
^ Would you say that W5000 is suitable for a room that has windows? I will be trying my best to control the light in the room with black out...etc and I anticipate mostly watching in the evening...thoughts? I really like everything I've read on the BenQ

·
Registered
102 Posts
It looks like the new LG af115 is going to be VERY bright:

The biggest issue is too "light" was. AF115 was quite excessive brightness. 100% Peak White를 기준으로 할 때 Vivid Mode 의 디폴트 값이 48 fL , Cinema Mode 의 밝기가 28 fL 였다. Based on 100% Peak White Vivid Mode when the default value of 48 fL, Cinema Mode is the brightness of 28 fL. Vivid Mode는 별 문제 안 된다.

http://translate.google.com/translat...N%26as_qdr%3Dm

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoote69 /forum/post/14199839

It looks like the new LG af115 is going to be VERY bright:

The biggest issue is too "light" was. AF115 was quite excessive brightness. 100% Peak White를 기준으로 할 때 Vivid Mode 의 디폴트 값이 48 fL , Cinema Mode 의 밝기가 28 fL 였다. Based on 100% Peak White Vivid Mode when the default value of 48 fL, Cinema Mode is the brightness of 28 fL. Vivid Mode는 별 문제 안 된다.

http://translate.google.com/translat...N%26as_qdr%3Dm

I didn't see...what about screen size? Footlamberts is meaningless without knowing that.

Also gain is needed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It looks like it was 100" but the translation is so poor Im not sure. No mention of a high power screen.

What I glean from the article (and its guesswork) is that calbrated in cinema mode you get 26fl and out of the box in brightest mode you get over 40 fl.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I can make a Sony VW40 put out 110flbt if I set it up right. At 100" diag. 16:9, assuming a 1.3 average gain screen, and 26ftlbt...that works out to 592 lumens. Not bad by any means, but only slightly above average. Still, I'd like to see what LG can do...they really haven't had a presence in this market.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts