AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pulled the trigger on a Samsung HP-R5072 (based on in-store comparisons between the smaller 4272 and various Pannys/Sonys). My HP-R5072 is on a truck somewhere between Virginia and California as we speak, but I have a 30-day money-back guarantee and am still willing to consider other options.

My wife and I just went to two different mid-range stores (Magnolia and Anderson) here in the Bay Area to take one more look at various PDPs. I read so many complaints on this forum about Samsung's always-on DNIe feature that I wanted to take a closer look at it again, this time on some SD sources.

The only two panels still in the running for me are the Samsung HP-R5072 and the Panny TH-50PX500U. (Our price range is ~5K +/- 10%, so 50" Pioneers are too expensive to consider.) The fact that the Panny 500U is ~$500 more expensive than the Samsung is not an issue. All we care about are features and PQ.

Both salespeople pushed us towards the Panny 500U, and I must say that on non-HD signals the Panny had more "natural" colors and fewer artifacts than the Samsung, especially with flesh tones. The Panny didn't have blacks as deep as the Samsung, but had better detail in dark areas. All this has been noted by several of you in various threads.

But...

One thing that really surprised me was just how dim the picture on the Panny was compared to the Samsung, and how much less saturated the colors looked. To get the kind of rich, vivid picture I would expect from a $5K TV, I had to set the Panny to vivid (torch) mode, which of course is not acceptable. It's great to have a more natural, balanced picture and everything, but if I can only enjoy it in a completely dark room, what's the point?

I know several of you bought Samsung HP-R4252s and 4272s recently, only to be bothered enough by DNIe to return & exchange them for Panny 50Us or 500Us. My question to you is: How does the Panny compare to the Samsung in bright, sunlit rooms? At default settings (not torch mode) the Panny seemed unacceptably dark and dim compared to the Samsung, almost enough to make any other PQ comparisons beside the point.

It looks like I'll take delivery of the Sammy HP-R5072 anyway and will keep it at least a few weeks before I make a final decision, but I just want to hear what those of you who at one point had both in your homes have to say.

Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
the_bode,

I would just enjoy what you have and not worry about it. If you keep second guessing yourself and looking at models and prices after you buy, you are just going to drive yourself crazy.

Now if the unit arrives damaged or gives you a poor quality picture, then I would then start looking again as you return the current unit.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker
I would just enjoy what you have and not worry about it. If you keep second guessing yourself and looking at models and prices after you buy, you are just going to drive yourself crazy.

Wise answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.