AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get some feedback on the impact of brigthness and CR to a panel's PQ. Some panels have really high CR (such as the panny...3000/4000:1) and others have a really high brightness (such as the Hitachi CMP4201u or the Fujitsu P42HHA10WS with 1000 cd/m)

It seems like there are two engineering approaches to getting good PQ using one or the other. Meaning why not have really high numbers for both? If panny can get to 3000 (granted measurements are subjective), why can't Fujitsu, a decidedly more expensive and in most repects, more highly regarded? They did get the brightness alot higher, but I'm wondering why the big difference in CR. And since they charge a premium, cost (I would think) is not the reason. BTW - I realize there are alot more things that contribute to PQ, but just go with it for a second. ;)

Does one impact the other, resulting in some engineering dependencies/limitations?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Trying to "cross compare" published numbers from different manufacturers is pretty much meaningless.

For example, the 3000:1 contrast ratio that Panny has been touting since the PWD3 series, is an absolute, and does not reflect normal usage (call it 'Sears Horsepower if you will'). ISF calibrator Ghibliss has reported that straight out of the box the real world contrast is below 1200:1, and then after ISF calibration it settles in at about 650:1.

In spite of the Ultra high numbers used in Marketing, The Pannies have consistently measured real world numbers that are higher than all the others. (See Pete Putmans Plasma Reviews for the past two-three years).

Some brightness numbers (ratings) are without the front filter, which drops them down.

See this report "Contrast Shmontrast" for more information.

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/shmontrast.html

Also look at the past Plasma reviews with measurements, (click on archives for older reviews).

http://www.projectorexpert.com/

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh....well, if the "real world" CR of the panny is 650:1, then that makes things a little more clear. I'm *guessing* that *maybe* Fujitsu is not bumping their number as much, hence their claim of 1000:1. If that's the case....and if the brightness is really about 30% more than the panny...then the resulting better PQ starts to make sense. (again, I realize there is more to PQ than cd/m and CR, but it obviously contributes)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Well, I don't know about 30% it seems that Pete's measurements were closer to 20%. Also it depends if the measurement is RGB or Video. The Alis panels have typically measured a higher brightness. But in spite of that the higher contrast, Black levels and more linear grayscale have earned it, it's reputation.

Here's the review that helped start the Panny craze.

http://www.projectorexpert.com/Pages/plasma3.html

·
Registered
476 Posts
goombawa

I've read countless reviews and it seems that the brightness is always much lower after ISF calibration. The calibration makes the displays much less blue and and more accurate across the gray scale.

Some sets run at 10,000K as compared with NTCS 6500K standard. The higher color temperature (blue) makes them much brighter.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.