AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only location for a TV in my living room, puts it right alongside a rather large window. Currently I have a 32" Wega sandwiched into the corner, and was looking to get a Samsung DLP or a plasma TV. I am leaning towards the Samsung for a number of reasons, higher resolution, no burn in, makes a better computer display, better with Xbox, it has the trappings of an actual consumer product etc.

My only concern is brightness, the few times I have seen then in the wild, at Best Buy, Magnolia and Fry's, they looked very dim. I cranked up the brightness, and they still looked pretty dim. For those of you with the sets, during the day, what is it like? I am not worried about it at night when most of my viewing gets done, but baseball on a Saturday or Football on a Sunday during the day, I need to be able to see the picture. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Room

http://www.akadel.com/share/livingroom1.jpg 138k

http://www.akadel.com/share/livingroom2.jpg 138k

·
Registered
856 Posts
IMO, the Samsung DLP is one of the brightest RPTV I have seen. It also has a very good non-reflective screen, and wide horizontal viewing angle (160 degree).

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
akadel:

One of the strengths the DLPs are noted for is their brightness and viewability in a room with lots of light. Given the flat screen, it is very llikely that reflections from the window will be less of a problem than you currently have with your Wega.

Do NOT judge a TVs picture by what you see at a vendor (unless it is a high end vendor who has taken the time to properly set up the equipment), especially Best Buy. They take the sets out of the boxes and put a signal on the screen that is split among dozens of other sets. What you see on the screen is often the worst possible representation of the actual picture quality of the set in your house that has been properly calibrated.

I have my 507 in a room with a window three feet away at right angles to the TV. The window looks West so the setting sun pours into the room right on the TV. Occasionally I have to use the window shade when the sunlight falls directly on the screen. You may have to close your drapes if you are watching a game in the daytime when the sun is shining into the room.

Although I do not have direct experience with the plasma and its ability to hold its own in a bright room, the advantages of the DLP that you mention, the disadvantages of plasma, and the cost difference shoud make the decision easy. I am very happy with my DLP. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
518 Posts
akadel,

If you "crank up the brightness" setting on a TV - any TV - all you're doing is lightening the BLACK levels. This will make blacks grayer, but it will hardly affect the whiter/brighter parts of the picture at all.

To brighten WHITE levels you need to raise the Contrast setting. We watch our Sammy DLP with Contrast set between 88 and 98 depending on the source.

Our experience is the same as pspun's and mnilan's. It's hard to think of a better TV for a bright room. Mine has four windows. Good luck!

Doug

P. S. Redwood City. Wow. I went to Sequoia HS in 9th grade, about 100 years ago. Is it still there? Most amazing campus of any HS in the country.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the easy question, now it becomes an issue of wading through the various Samsung models and releases over the next 6 months to figure out what each tv actually has on it, and figuring out how large of a TV I can stuff in there and still have room for speakers.

I might try to pick one up from a local brick and mortar store so that I can try it but it does sound finally like what I am looking for.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Deacon
P. S. Redwood City. Wow. I went to Sequoia HS in 9th grade, about 100 years ago. Is it still there? Most amazing campus of any HS in the country.
Yes it is still there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sequoia is still there, although contrary to my opinion my Juvenile Probation officer friend claims the crime rate there is no higher than any of the other high schools in the county. I am about a mile up the road from the school.

On the other hand, she won't send any of her kids to any of the public high schools in San Mateo County.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Our set is in a room where 2 side walls are 80% glass with no curtains - and we have no problem watching it in broad daylight.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I want the model that comes with that model. Thanks for the pic, it does certainly seem to be plenty bright enough, and looks like you have an almost identical space.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been watching this thread because I have a similar situation - lots of windows and daylight in my family room.

I finally got to see the HLN4365 in person yesterday. They just got them in at my local Sears store. It is very nice - the picture quality is very good and the viewing angle was very wide compared to any other rear-projection set I have seen.

They had it set up next to a Samsung SPL4225 (42" plasma EDTV), and both were playing the same HDTV feed. I have to comment that the SPL4225 was remarkably brighter and sharper than the HLN4365.

I had been waiting for the HLN467W, although the release date seems to keep getting delayed. However, I'm starting to rethink my choice of the DLP over the plasma. The SLP4225 is available for under $3K most places these days, and I've noticed that TVAuthority has a Samsung PPM42S2 (42" plasma, 1024 x 768 XGA Resolution) for under $3K now.

I guess I'm posting this in hopes that someone will respond and say something to convince me that the HLN4365 just hadn't been setup properly at Sears, and that a well-calibrated Samsung DLP can be as bright and sharp as a plasma set.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AntiguaGuy

I've noticed that TVAuthority has a Samsung PPM42S2 (42" plasma, 1024 x 768 XGA Resolution) for under $3K now.

I guess I'm posting this in hopes that someone will respond and say something to convince me that the HLN4365 just hadn't been setup properly at Sears, and that a well-calibrated Samsung DLP can be as bright and sharp as a plasma set.

Thanks.
No, it's pretty dim. I mean, it's good in daylight because (i think) it manages to not reflect too much light, thus preserving the blacks/contrast. It's a pleasing image. LCD panels, IMHO, have by far the best image and a comparison there will really show you what's missing in the sammy DLPs (try the sharp aquos 37")

Also, AntiguaGuy, note that TVAuthority has misquoted the specs of the PPM42S2; it's SD/ED 852x480. The HD 1365x768 samsung 42" doesn't come out till this summer.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wow - I like the blonde in that picture. Nice "rack" you've got t hose components on ;-)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, if she were on the new US Dollar coin, she might be called "Racagawea". ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.