AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My old Nintendo GameCube has seen a resurgence in popularity in my household recently and, tired of fuzzy composite video, I bought a YPbPr component cable so we could play in 480p. I've tried the cable on two 1080p plasma televisions where it was connected straight to the TV and looked fantastic. On the 720p monitor in my living room, however, the image comes out very dark in the lower range. Colors and brighter areas look fine, but details are completely gone from medium grey to black. I pulled up a brightness/contrast calibration screen provided in one of the games and found the lower 1/3 of the black/white gradation to be indistinguishable, no matter how much I tinkered with the picture settings (brightness, picture, black extension, gamma, etc)

I haven't had this problem with other sources. Here is how it's set up:

GameCube digital out > Nintendo component cable > Onkyo TX-SR608 Component Input > Onkyo TX-SR608 HDMI out > HDMI to DVI cable > Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY DVI input

The GameCube is a bit odd in that you can't plug in a regular component cable into it, you need Nintendo's proprietary cable that has a built in chip which converts the GameCube's digital output into an analog component signal. This made the cable hard to find but as mentioned it works fine with the two TVs I tried it on, the signal just seems to be getting messed up somewhere between the GameCube and the display. Does anybody know what might be going on and if there is a way I can fix it?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
553 Posts
You say it looks fine connected straight to the TV for the 1080p TVs, but you have it going through a receiver to get to the 720p TV. Maybe that's where the problem lies? I didn't think you could take a component signal into a receiver and have it send out over HDMI. Try component out from the receiver to the TV. That cuts out the HDMI to DVI conversion also. BTW, HDMI doesn't give a better picture than component - it's just more convenient, carrying video and audio on one cable instead of the 3 video and two audio for Component.

·
Registered
164 Posts
sounds like the HDMI RGB range is set incorrectly

go to menu, advanced picture, hdmi RGB range and set it to nonstandard

also maker sure that under PRO settings AGC and Black extension are both set to zero

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Wasn't able to find the HDMI RGB setting, though I do have black extension set to zero and AGC off. Would there even be an HDMI RGB setting when the input on the monitor is DVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees  /t/1492132/brightness-issue-with-panasonic-monitor#post_23771022

I didn't think you could take a component signal into a receiver and have it send out over HDMI.

I wondered the same thing and plugged an XBox 360 component cable into the receiver but it didn't have any problems.

Originally I didn't use the component input on the monitor because it has BNC connectors and I couldn't find where I put the adapters. Today I succumbed and got a few from the electronics store ($10 I didn't want to spend). Thankfully the GameCube sends audio through a separate cable from the video so it was easy to send the video straight to the monitor and audio through the receiver. It looks good, as you would expect.

However I still wish to know if there is anything else I might be able to do, as having the GameCube on a different input than everything else is just one more thing to confuse the other users in the house in the event of something going wrong while I'm away, which happens a lot. Also makes changing activities take longer and my cable management less pretty.

I do plan to try using component output on the receiver this afternoon, but the question of why the XBox 360 works fine when the GameCube doesn't puzzles me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts