AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new surge protector yesterday (finally ran out of outlets on the one I had :) ), and noticed that it had coaxial surge protection too. So I could take the coax from the antenna, run it in there, and take another short length of RG6 to the set-top box.

But should I?

Will I lose a lot of signal from the extra cable and connections?

Will I gain any significant protection?

Thanks,

Willie

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The best place to add this sort of thing is outside of the house. At a minimum, your antenna cable should be grounded with a grounding block. If you live in a lightening-prone area, a lightening protector should be added, too. I added both, and saw a drop of about 5% in signal strength, which I didn't think was too bad.

However, if you have the surge suppressor, I would add it in -- it can't hurt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had Comcast come yesterday to install a HD 6200 box and the installer recommended not taking the coax though the surge protector. He said the grounding box outside was more than enough and the surge protector is just another place for a loss to occur.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If you have a close lightning strike it can enter thru the outlet, or the phone line, or the antenna or DBS coax, so you have to protect all of these sources so they don't allow the surge to ruin your equipment. Also, I know someone who had a sub plugged into another outlet without surge protection and the current ran backward thru the sub speakers wires into the surround sound processor and fried everything. He thought he had every possible path covered but forgot one and that's all it takes. Lightning covers a huge area and and can enter several areas not just where the ground stake is at. That's why people put it on the main breaker box and then lightning enters on the other side of the house and fries whatever is on the circuit. I definitely would do it, in fact I run it thru my Power Director along with the phone line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.