AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many imaginitive folk here, I thought I'd pick your brains for a solution. I see lots of folks with similar setups and was just wondering how YOU did it.

The problem:

I am building my equipment rack outside the theater. I will have my main amplifier inside the theater in the front running LCR and 2 subs. I need to get 5 balanced cables with XLR connectors into the room from the outside while -

Making it look nice

Not creating huge acoustical holes in the room

Not using additional connections (wall plates w/jacks)

Additional FYI - the cables are already terminated.

Looking forward to to your innovative ideas.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I actually thought of just extending my conduit and using the 90 degree box at the end and mount it into the wall. Still not sure how I am going to do the front so it looks decent.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Hi. My $0.02 worth.

Question; why would you mount your amp inside the HT and the pre/pro outside? Space constraints? Seems to me that locating the pre/pro aand amp together might make more sense. The line-level cables are going to be more likely to pick up noise than speaker cables would. If I were doing it, I would put all my electronics in one place and run speaker cables into the HT. You could use an IR repeater to make the remote work (if that's part of your reason.)

I used the back of an HVAC closet to build a flush-mounted equip rack. The front of my rack is open to the HT, and the back is openthrough the closet. I dropped flex conduits from each speaker location into a j-box mounted inside the closet, so I can pull new/more cables if I need to later on. Just plug in patch cords from the electronics to the j-box panel and you're cookin' with gas. I have an IR repeater mounted in the front of the room so I can control the gear with a Pronto, and I use a repeater mounted beside it (pointing back into the room) to control my projector. Sounds kind of dumb to receive and re-transmit the IR signal at basically the same location, but it works.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rtart
Hi. My $0.02 worth.

Question; why would you mount your amp inside the HT and the pre/pro outside? Space constraints? Seems to me that locating the pre/pro aand amp together might make more sense.
In a higher end system, it is always more desirabel to mount the amps near the speakers and keep the speaker cbale run to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally posted by rtart

The line-level cables are going to be more likely to pick up noise than speaker cables would.
his cables are balanced XLR connectoers which are normally reserved for the "pro" market or high end home market. They are much better at reejecting noise when compared with standard RCA line level cables.

bpape,

We use something called a wire port. It looks like a wall plate, but the hole is larger...almost like a plate for a large (AC? dryer?) plug. What if you put one of those on each side of the wall. Then, make the XLR cables into a snale of some sort so that you can dress it to look neat. In other words, I'm sure your balanced cabels are all the same lenght...leave the excess outside the theatre, that way you can "snake" the cables to the amp neatly, and then run your speaker wire as needed.

If you're worried about acoustics, fill in the space with expandable foam. That should at least help curb some of the sound leakage.

HTH!

Jay

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. As Jay said, I do have balanced cables and want to keep the speaker leads as short as possible and will be keeping my pre-cables as far as possible from all electrical wiring. The other reason I am doing it this way is to keep all of the equipment, especially the sources, out of the room and away from the majority of the vibrations.

Jay, can you point me to somewhere online for the 'wire ports'? Sounds like what I was going to try to make by hand. Just didn't want 5 of them! As far as the foam, is it OK to use without eating the cable sheathing? I'd really hate to trash these new cables.

Thanks again. Keep the ideas coming.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Try the hardware store....I would run all 5 cables through one hole. On the wireports we use, the hole is about 2.5" in diameter. They have a raised lip at the opening. I think you could use an outlet cover designed for large appliances...like clothes dryers, stoves, etc. the hole should be the same size...get plastic and not metal so it doesn't cut into the cable.

The foam is now available in a water based (easy cleanup!) variety and I would think that it would be fine with the cables. Read the label to make sure (like I've ever done that :D) but I use it all the time. There are a couple of companies making it...there are about 4 different varieties down here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! Where did you steal those pics? I really like the top one though not sure the BNCs would fit through. At least it is a place to start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.