AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm returning my WDTVLive today because it sucks and has caused me nothing but headaches (streaming wise) I won't go into detail.

I'm now looking at the Asus Oplay or the BriteView 5005HD. Any experiences with either? All I really need is the ability to stream flawlessly off my NAS device (mostly MKV files) but could be AVI's or ISO's even. My budget is under 150 if possible. Any thoughts?

Or should I just go right for the XTreamer? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I picked the BVCT over the Asus because the BVCT has component, which I needed. I'm waiting for them to shake out the networking issues that arose in recent FW updates, but other than that I've been satisfied with it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've my BV unit for awhile and it has no problem of streaming mkv, mp4, mts and iso files from my Netgear NV nas. I don't have any experience with other streaming unit but in general they have the same functionality and warts so the key differentiator is product and community support which BV is very, very good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the BV for a few weeks now and so far it works just fine and plays everything I throw at it (1080 and 720 BD rips, avi, mov, etc).. I replaced an original xbox that had been running builds of XBMC for several years so I was spoiled by the quality and flexibility of XBMC.. nothing in the streamer market can match that yet but the old xbox can't handle hi-def.

The UI of the BV is pretty spartan and almost to plain but it functions fine for the price. I am going to build an HTPC with a Mac Mini and Plex in a couple of weeks since my wife insists that the solution she has to use must be 'elegant'
.. and the Mac/Plex combo certainly fits that bill.. just requires at least $600 to get it going vs $100 for these low end streamers. I'll end up putting the BV on my media system in the basement since I don't mind tweaking with these things.. I would have no problems recommending it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 /forum/post/18233414

I'm returning my WDTVLive today because it sucks and has caused me nothing but headaches (streaming wise) I won't go into detail.

I'm now looking at the Asus Oplay or the BriteView 5005HD. Any experiences with either? All I really need is the ability to stream flawlessly off my NAS device (mostly MKV files) but could be AVI's or ISO's even. My budget is under 150 if possible. Any thoughts?

Or should I just go right for the XTreamer? Thanks in advance!

I have the O!Play Air and it's great. Asus has good support.I had an O!Play previously which is basically the same without the wireless aspect. If you don't need wireless the O!Play is a very good choice.

philip

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd avoid Xtreamer until bugs are worked out, maybe hold out for Boxee? IIRC its price will be about $150 from d-link, and it uses XBMC so it shouldn't look like swampbutt and be as user friendly as a Soviet-era washing machine..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts