AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
For HD, only HDMI output. No component video, coax or optical digital audio.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Can you navigate through the EPG and schedule a recording while in the EPG?

You know like navigate in the EPG screen to say CSI, then hit the record button?

Can you copy/move recordings on the internal HDD to and connected USB external HDD (archiving)?

Can you pull out the 2.5 inch HDD and install a larger capacity drive?

The users manual on amazon is pretty crappy and just goes through some of the menus.

Not a good sign but keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
Those are all great questions which I've not seen any answers. We'll probably have to wait for someone to purchase one and review it to get more info.

I find it interesting that they say one can use the composite input to record DVDs(and they even say BR) to the HDD
most DVDs and probably almost all BR discs have CP so I don't know how that would work
of course I'd have to wonder why one would want to record a BR to it's HDD(in the lowest quality composite) but I guess they must figure someone would want to.....

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
The only way to get HD from analog would be by using component inputs, this box only seems to have composite which is only 480i SD.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
This thing is a lot cheaper than my Channel Master 7000PAL and has a bigger hard drive, I'm very interested to see some reviews start coming in.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
Looks nice. From manual on BV web site: no NTSC/analog, conficting statements on power.

Like most imports it could use a proof reader and spell check. Favorate button?

But why a sleep timer? I really wish we had a review.

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
I would think a key feature to look for is the ability to manually set the clock. I would have serious reservations about buying a unit that must depend on PSIP timestamps.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/20555909

Can you navigate through the EPG and schedule a recording while in the EPG?

You know like navigate in the EPG screen to say CSI, then hit the record button?

Can you copy/move recordings on the internal HDD to and connected USB external HDD (archiving)?

Can you pull out the 2.5 inch HDD and install a larger capacity drive?

The users manual on amazon is pretty crappy and just goes through some of the menus.

Not a good sign but keeping my fingers crossed.

I have used the ZAT980H (same as Bright View) and I can say for a fact that it allows you to record from the EPG Guide.

It is a single tuner DVR, and allows one to watch a recorded program while recording a live program. It also features the ability to record to a USB hard drive.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20567297

I would think a key feature to look for is the ability to manually set the clock. I would have serious reservations about buying a unit that must depend on PSIP timestamps.

Since it lists times zones in the clock set section, I think manual clock SETTING is the only way to set the clock. I didn't read where it could use PSIP data to set the clock. It will display the PSIP time and program data (for them that got it). That should be accurate to the second if it is used.

To buy or not to buy? BV or ZAT? So many choices. Hell, I have virtually every other DVR without a fee now. One more shouldn't hurt. I wonder if I can run it off the 12V marine battery I use for my inverter?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20567297

Yes it does feature a Timed Schedule recording, where you can manually set start and stop times.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20567841

wonder if I can run it off the 12V marine battery I use for my inverter?

Wondering the same thing. I saw that the power supply was 12V DC, so it looks hopeful.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDefNinja /forum/post/20567936

Yes it does feature a Timed Schedule recording, where you can manually set start and stop times.

That sort of states my problem with time. It can't use PSIP time for a scheduled recording unless something inside knows the time and updates it frequently. That implies a very accurate internal clock or a way to get external clock when in standby mode (like XDS).

To record a show "regularly" you need to know its next showing. That, for a weekly show, needs a knowledge of the future. The PSIP doesn't (I think) hold that knowledge. I'd bet you can schedule channel xx.x on day xx with an xx frequency. Nothing indicates it can track a show title, EPG or not. Use the CBS show CHAOS as an example. It's a Tivo-like function, and don't f* with them or you get sued.

I guess I will have to get one to stop all my speculation.

Ok, color me stupid. Might get it by Friday.

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
I can't wait for your impressions. I'm really intrigued by the composite input, I suppose it's meant for someone with a cable STB so they could record scrambled channels but very little about it in the manual

It will also be interesting to see how the swappable HDDs work. The DTVPal DVR was supposed to have that feature but the final product lacked that feature

Also in this day and age you'd think the Zinwell would have had at least dual tuners but maybe they're leaving that for a future model.

1 - 20 of 293 Posts