AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use one? I have cable broadband & it's supposed to transmit up to 40' from the modem, but when I'm outside doing whatever, signal drops around 20-25'! Called the tech support, no clue & just had this modem replaced as it was periodically dropping the connection when it rained!:eek: House is wood frame, shingle roof so not sure if a range extender would help or not? Thx :D

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Does anyone use one? I have cable broadband & it's supposed to transmit up to 40' from the modem, but when I'm outside doing whatever, signal drops around 20-25'! Called the tech support, no clue & just had this modem replaced as it was periodically dropping the connection when it rained!:eek: House is wood frame, shingle roof so not sure if a range extender would help or not? Thx :D
Are you using your own router or the ISP router? I've found that the ISP provided router do not have good reception.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My computer is hardwired to the modem & then I use a wifi hub with wps to connect my tv's internet, avr, bdp & Dish box. It's just my Galaxy S3 that I listen to internet radio when I'm out in the yard that has the issue with signal drop. Hadn't thought of connecting a router, have a couple that I haven't used in years lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WiFi Extender

I've had good luck with the Netgear Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender EX7000 - not to be confused with their similarly named wireless modem.
With Comcast Internet I get about 95 Mbps at my computer - and without the extender would get about 25 Mbps at the Home Theater (90 feet away thru several walls).
With the Extender I get about 50-60 Mbps at the Home Theater + I have five ethernet ports for direct connection to my Blu-Ray, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts