AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really true that the 4K's won't work without being connected to DSL or a cable modem or its equivalent? I understand that emailing last week's Buffy episode accross the country would probably take hours on a dial-up, but I couldn't give a rat's hat about the ethernet capabilities, I just want a 320 hr. PVR with autoskip, period. Talk about reducing your universe of potential customers. And I thought UTV was elitist.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think he meant a home network router/gateway: the thing that will dial-in when something on the network needs the internet....

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
I think he meant a home network router/gateway: the thing that will dial-in when something on the network needs the internet....
yep you'll need something like an smc barricade cabl/dsl router that allows you to connect a COM port (phone line)

tiger direct has 3com's version of the barricade for $50

click here if interested

this thread over at anandtech has much more info on the router & how to upgrade the firmware

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomCat
I understand that emailing last week's Buffy episode accross the country would probably take hours on a dial-up
not even close, upload cable speed is severely limited.

It would take more than a few hours on a cable connection (probably half a day).

It would take MANY days (or should I say weeks) on a dialup.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Officially, that is according to ReplaySteve, there not sure if the dial on demand router idea is going to work (they know that obviously the "send video" and "ichannels" features won't function). Back at the beginning of the month Steve said their engineers were in the process of researching it and would get back to us here in the forum as soon as possible with a more definitive answer.

Steve ducked in here for a visit a couple of days ago to post some links on information about SonicBlue/ReplayTV's new relationship with Matsushita corp. to produce the next generation of DVRs, and I asked him if he had any updates on the router question as well as a number of other pressing issues left open since his last visit. No response yet.

The key piece of information that's needed for the DODR is whether or not the 4Ks will have a sufficiently long timeout duration to allow the DODR to set up the connection to your ISP.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have a couple of questions for you network savvy people :)

It is getting close to when Replay will be shipping me my 4000 and I won't have broadband for at least a month or two. I am planning on hooking up to an SMC router and am trying to figure out how the Replay would connect.

1. Direct wire: The Replay will be in another room and I would probably need 100 feet of Category 5 wire to run to the router. Would plain Cat 5 wire work and just plug one end into Replay and the other into the router, no special ends or connectors?

2. If I decide to go wireless, how would the Replay connect? It seems that all of the wireless solutions require a plug in card that goes into a laptop or desktop. The replay just has an ethernet port. Is there a wireless sender that you can plug into the Replay with the cable that comes with it and it will send to your wireless router near the computer?

Thanks for clarification :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
I have a couple of questions for you network savvy people :)

It is getting close to when Replay will be shipping me my 4000 and I won't have broadband for at least a month or two. I am planning on hooking up to an SMC router and am trying to figure out how the Replay would connect.

1. Direct wire: The Replay will be in another room and I would probably need 100 feet of Category 5 wire to run to the router. Would plain Cat 5 wire work and just plug one end into Replay and the other into the router, no special ends or connectors?

2. If I decide to go wireless, how would the Replay connect? It seems that all of the wireless solutions require a plug in card that goes into a laptop or desktop. The replay just has an ethernet port. Is there a wireless sender that you can plug into the Replay with the cable that comes with it and it will send to your wireless router near the computer?

Thanks for clarification :)
Answer to 1: Plain Cat5 will work and as long as the router has a built in switch or hub (most have a 4 port switch) you can wire directly from the replay to the router with standard RJ-45 (eight conductor) connectors on each end of the wire (wired "straight-through")

Answer to 2: There are "wireless bridges" that will do what you want but I've not tested them and I think they may be a bit pricey. I'll look for a link to the hardware and edit this post when I get a chance. (I actually posted a link a while ago so a search of the archives may work.)

OK, here is the link, keep in mind that the LAN speed using these it maxed at 3Mbits per second as opposed to 10Mb or 100Mb for ethernet and fast ethernet respectively so it might not work fast enough for two replay 4K's to communicate with each other.

Alvarion SA-10: (you will need an SA-10 and and access point)
http://www.alvarion.com/Products_2030.asp?tNodeParam=22

Breezecom AP-10:
http://www.pulsewan.com/wireless/breezecom/ap10.htm

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
So Mike, if I understand you correctly, I would have a wired router for my main computers, and plug one linksys wireless access point into the back of the router.

Then I get a second wireless access point (instead of the wireless cards that plug into laptops) which would communicate wirelessly with the first access point and plug the Replay into the back of that?

It seems like that would work. It is 2.4ghz and 11mbs so it looks like it would be fast enough. Could I get a third access point and plug my second Replay into that and have it communicate with the other one and my computer?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
After further investigation it seems that the only way to do this without a broadband connection is to use the SMC products because they have the ability to connect to a dialup modem. The linksys stuff looks great but I don't believe that they will allow a dial up connection?

·
Registered
194 Posts
A lot of @home upstream connections are limited to 128kB by the cable company. I extracted the final episode of Star Trek Voyager from my Replay (2 hours at high quality) and it produced a 1.8GB MP3 file.

By my calculation it would take about 39 hours to transfer that file from one 4000 to another. I'm not sure this will be the panacea that some think.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
by firefighter:

If you go with the Linksys Wireless Access Points, the current firmware allows one to be a wireless client, letting you setup a bridged network. Much cheeper then any other option other then Cat5.

-Mike
Way to go Mike. I had no idea that Linksys updated the firmware of the WAP's. In case anyone is interested, I saw the WAP-11 on sale at Staples tonight for $149 and some change. Don't know how that compares to other stores but I think it's a pretty fair price. (Of course you would need two of them for a replay unless you already have the router/wireless access point combo unit.) I have no reason to create the wireless bridge but I do have two WAP-11's so I may play around with them to see how well it works.

Quote:
by free:

After further investigation it seems that the only way to do this without a broadband connection is to use the SMC products because they have the ability to connect to a dialup modem. The linksys stuff looks great but I don't believe that they will allow a dial up connection?
DLink also makes a router with a built-in 56K modem that will dial on demand. The discontinued 3Com unit (I think model 3C510) had a serial connector for an external modem. Tiger Direct was selling these units for $49.95 last week but may be out of them now. I purchased one and I'm very impressed with the functions of this unit. If you can still buy one, I'd highly recommend it.

Either way, DLink, SMC, 3Com, or a Windows PC using ICS should work with a replay to at least get the program guide.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
by free:

....Could I get a third access point and plug my second Replay into that and have it communicate with the other one and my computer?....
Yes, I checked the documentation tonight and you can set up three access points in a "point-to-multi-point" bridge mode (as opposed to a "point-to-point" bridge).

Here is a link to more information from Linksys (including a diagram).

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
"Either way, DLink, SMC, 3Com, or a Windows PC using ICS should work with a replay to at least get the program guide."

Sorry, ICS? what is that? Would this allow me to use an internal dial up modem on my computer and any router?

I heard about the 3com unit and I believe it is made by SMC for 3com. I think I may try to snag one if I can at that price, thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Rudy, that is a great link, thanks. Very informative diagrams. :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
ICS is Internet Connection Sharing and it is built into Windows 98SE and most likely Win2000, ME, and XP.

It is essentially uses NAT (Network Address Translation) just like the Linksys and other home routers to share one internet connection.

Windows ICS is designed to share a dial-up connection on one PC using either an external or internal modem. If you have an old machine laying around or want to dedicate one to your network, this might work out for you.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
So with those Linksys wireless access points:

If I had a couple of notebooks that I wanted wireless access for, and I wanted to connect the Replay with a second WAP acting as a bridge, it looks like I then need a third WAP->

Replay ---->WAP WAP Hub WAP Notebook

Did I get that right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
So with those Linksys wireless access points:

If I had a couple of notebooks that I wanted wireless access for, and I wanted to connect the Replay with a second WAP acting as a bridge, it looks like I then need a third WAP->

Replay ---->WAP WAP Hub WAP Notebook

Did I get that right?
Yup, that's how I understand it. Basically a WAP11 acting as a "bridge" can only communicate with other "bridges". I'm in the same boat with a 2nd AudioRequest device and a RPTV4000 (coming) I'm going to breakdown and have a contractor come in and install a couple of Cat5e runs to every room and be done with it. I'll keep my WAP11, WDC11 and D-link USB wireless for laptop & iPAQ roaming.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.