AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there's an all-in-one place listing of what all the networks tech specs... such as:

Name H-Res V-Res FrameRate Captions Video Audio

ESPN 1280 720p 29.97 608or708 MPEG2 AC3 .... etc?

Thanks!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfilmer /forum/post/18213390

Anyone know if there's an all-in-one place listing of what all the networks tech specs...

No, but most of what you want is readily available.

To be sure we're on the same page, let's define HD networks as 24/7 linear HD channels, including local HD, national HD, premium HD.

This topic has (almost) all the HD formats used by the various HD networks: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671

All HD networks use Dolby Digital AC3, many with 5.1, others with 2.0. Even those with 5.1 capability still have many 2.0 programs.

All HD networks distribute their HD format of choice in the native resolution, which is either 1280x720p or 1980x1080i, except for a few premium movie channels which reduce horizontal resolution to 1440x1080i. This is generally not much of an issue because of the film based programming.

HD networks are distributed in both MPEG2 and MPEG4. Neither is technically better for image quality, but MPEG4 is a more efficient video codec and when used is less expensive to distribute HD via satellite.

All over-the-air broadcasts are MPEG2, even though some OTA networks like ABC & NBC distribute to local affiliates in MPEG4.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
My website (RabbitEars.Info) has much of that information for over the air stations, but not cable stations.

- Trip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts