Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi list,

Went down to local Sears and purchased the PT-50LC13 today. It should arrive this Sunday. I'm super excited about this as it will be my first larger-than-27" tv.

1.) I was hoping someone could recommend a dvd player that will show off the true potential of this dvd in terms of pq. If I can get it for under $300 all the better. I've read about the Panasonic XP30 and the Denon 1600, but both seem somewhat difficult to get. I'm hoping that there's another model out there that will do the LCD justice.

2.) Also, can someone also recommend which component cables to purchase? I've read a few posts about people purchasing from bluejeanscables.com, but I'm not sure which set of cables to get. I'm still new to all of this and just feeling my way around.

3.) Finally, how about a DVD to show it off? I'm about to visit the dvd forums right now, but figured I'd ask that here as well.

Thanks much, I can't wait :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Samsung 931, you can always return it.

What you really needed is a HD receiver.

Target (GE) and Wal-mart (RCA) have good component cable for under $20.

DVDs:

Lord of the Rings TT

Spirted Away

any of the CGI movies

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Is the HD receiver dependent on the type of service you subscribe to? Meaning, do some hd receivers work better with some cable companies than others? I'm deciding between Aldelphia and Direct TV right now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
1) Make sure it has progressive scan

(Onkyo and Denon make some good receivers and dvd players)

2) The best cables for anything are Monster Cables

3) Depends on the audience. Kids? Monster Inc. Toy Story Adults? Matrix. Spiderman. The Patriot :)

·
Registered
13,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wynn
Thanks for the info. Is the HD receiver dependent on the type of service you subscribe to? Meaning, do some hd receivers work better with some cable companies than others? I'm deciding between Aldelphia and Direct TV right now.
If you're using Cable, the only HDTV receiver will work with your cable is the one from your Cable co.

·
Registered
985 Posts
1. Bravo D1 available at www.vinc.com . Check out the DVD Player forum and the latest Widescreen Review magazine on why this is one of the best DVD players for LCD RPTV. The D1 has some issues but should be easily fixed by installing a new loader. Mine should be delivered today. Will let you know how well it performs.

2. The D1 or HD931 are DVI DVD player. A DVI cable is provided with the 50LC13.

3. Starship Troopers Superbit or Terminator 2 Extreme Edition, among many.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would agree that you are best off with either the Bravo D1 or the Samsung HD931 since either can provide an all-digital path for the video signal via DVI. If you are not going to use the DVI out from DVD, you might want to lean more toward the HD931 (I have heard awful things about the non-DVI outputs from the D1). You can read goods and bads on both in the DVD Forums. Also, if you don't want to pay $70-$100 for a Monster Component cable, you can sometimes find good deals on Acoustic Research or other cables at eBay (I just bought a 6' AR Pro component cable for $6.50 + Shipping and they work very well). Depending on your location, it might also be a good idea to pick up an OTA Tuner and a UHF antenna (I use the indoor "Silver Sensor" and it works fine).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A DVI output DVD player is probably not going to help

much over a plain component one. And you probably don't need

a progressive player either ... the set contains a truly

first rate one. Of course, this seems to be a religious area,

so you might want to use the 30-day return policy

and compare at home.

Doug

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congrats on taking the plunge!

I bought my 50" Sony GWII (LCD RPTV) in July and got a Sony progressive scan player for $100 (no DVI output). For the first 15min. the DVD picture was not as great as I expected. Then I saw that the installers did not enable progressive scan mode. I did see a PQ improvement once progressive mode was enabled. I do recommend getting a progressive scan player.

Movie-wise, check out Superbit DVDs. They claim to maximize the video data rate to your monitor, resulting in a better picture (at the expense of the content extras like previews & commentary). I have the Fifth Element and Laurence of Arabia, both in Superbit, and their PQ is noticeably better than other DVDs. Also, as stated above, CGI makes for impressive DVD demos (Star Wars II, Monsters Inc.).

I think the best accessory that I bought was probably the Samsung SIR-T151 OTA HD tuner (paid $250). I took a small gamble that I would get good enough reception in my part of San Jose, CA, with an existing outdoor antenna. An automated evaluation I took at TitanTV convinced me that my reception was probably good enough. It was. SD shows look so much better than they did on our original, analog 27" inch CRT set since the channels have digital clarity (absolutely no ghosts or interference in the picture). Analog reception on this big a screen would probably be painful. With the digital tuner, prime time network shows look very good (not shot in HD but upconverted before broadcast) and the true HD content (MNF, Leno, PBS HD shows & demos) are fantastic. Here is one review of the two Samsung OTA tuners: SIR-T151 & SIR-T165 review .

I went the Monster cable route cuz I don't know any better. I also bought "last year's" Monster power regulator ($350) partially to protect my set and partially on advice on the web.

Have fun!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmcdonald
A DVI output DVD player is probably not going to help

much over a plain component one. And you probably don't need

a progressive player either ... the set contains a truly

first rate one.
I just received my Bravo D1 and immediately hooked it up to the PT-50LC13. The difference is night and day between the D1 and my old Panasonic F85 over Monster component cables. DVI connection allows the D1 to send video signal digitally to the TV, something that cannot be done through component cables.

The image from the D1 is a lot more detailed, black and dark details is significantly better, and the resulting image is film like. I only tested playing Black Hawk Down - the only DVD I have duplicate of.

Now I need to find a way to get rid of the F85.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. This forum is so addicting...

1. I'm going to go pick up the Samsung 931 since my set comes this weekend. I'll place an order for the D1 and decide on which to keep once it arrives.

2. I think I'm going for the component cables from bluejeanscables.com.

3. Movies, so many to choose from. I'll start with T2 Extreme, Monsters, SB Storm Ship Troopers (because a lot of people mention it) - I thought it was ok, the swarm scenes are insane, LOTR TT, and something for the gf.. not sure what yet though :)

Thanks for all the info on the tuners as well. I'm going to check with Adelphia and see what they offer in my area. I'll aslk check out the Samsung 151 and 165 - thanks for posting the links to the review, whaat!

It's going to be a fun weekend...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wynn
I'm going to check with Adelphia and see what they offer in my area.
What area are you in? So far, Adelphia on offers HD in a couple of SoCal cities. More should be rolling out, but it has been going slow!!

I'm also looking at the Panny, but am waiting for Adelphia to offer HD service in my area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.