AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and gents, I have now completed what may be one of the most expensive satellite installations in the history of the world. It should be noted, however, that the very concept of installing the dish was patently against the rules of my apartment complex which states that dishes may only be mounted on balconies. Unfortunately, the building gets in the way of me being able to mount my beloved dish on the balcony, so I went to the next logical location: the roof. I got everything mounted and managed to conceal the dish almost completely from 3 different directions. Additionally, I ran two 150' strands of RG-6 that is almost perfectly invisible. The expensiveness of the install comes from the fact that as I was routing the final 8 feet of wire under a run of vinyl siding before it entered the target window, the ladder I was on slipped out from under me (feet of ladder away from wall at high rate of speed, sending top of the ladder along the wall downward) inducing a 15-20' fall with me essentially prone on the ladder. I ended up VERY lucky with only a 4" gash on my forehead (all the way to the bone) that took 13 stitches to close up. The trip to the hospital to get the stitches, a CAT scan, and 4 x-rays pix per knee will likely add up to a pretty health chunk of change...

Hence, I would love to further cover my tracks by camouflaging the dish on the roof so that the directions that I was not able to conceal can become less visible to ensure that all my hard work, literal blood, and hard-earned cash aren't wasted when the apartment people notice the addition to the roof and force me to take it down/evict me. Are there ready-made kits equipped to hide an 18x20 triple LNB dish? Also, I'd love to hear any similar experiences that you guys might have regarding installations that have completely violated apartment community rules, etc. Did you get caught? If not, how did you avoid it? If so, what happened? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I can only shake my head in disbelief. If I ever chance a 20' fall and a 4" gash, there'd better be a "10" redhead and an irate husband in the picture.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I know they make simulated "rock" covers for dishes. Maybe a plastic/fiberglass simulated "air conditioner" or "electrical box" ?

BTW....

Now you understand my need to design a "universal" OTA and satellite distribution system for condos and apartments. AND, the need to make them mandatory in all new construction. (My apt complex could really use it. They haven't gotten bitchy yet, but there are dishes mounted, literally, everywhere)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Just a thought...are you super committed to E*?

At least with D* you only need one dish. I'm guessing the hard one to hide is maybe 61.5? So if you're only using it for locals, and not specialty programming, perhaps that is a better way to go. At least until E* comes out with a one dish solution next year.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The notion of universal feeds for apt complexes would be smart..up here there are a row of new small apartments next to the local BB..and every one has a satellite dish..something like 4 dishes within a few feet of one another, and this repeats on the next complex and the next and the next....looks like a military installation.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I'm looking into all of those.

I even found a German company (Ankaro) that makes a 16 Satellite/1 OTA input distribution system. It could take 16 stacked satellites or 8 slots with 2 polarizations each, plus OTA or Cable.

Our apartment complex has many nationalities (what's the PC way of saying it?), so I'm sensitive to the needs for International Programming from Telstar-5 and Galaxy-10R (and others), in addition to the usual DirecTV and DISH Network birds.

Now, if we could get all new construction of, say, 4 or more units to have a SMATV system built in, everyone could have access to all the services.

(I'm still looking for a way to have AM/SW and FM radio in there as well.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by restart88
Just a thought...are you super committed to E*?

At least with D* you only need one dish. I'm guessing the hard one to hide is maybe 61.5? So if you're only using it for locals, and not specialty programming, perhaps that is a better way to go. At least until E* comes out with a one dish solution next year.
Actually, I DO have DirecTV. 18x20 3xLNB dish made by Trek with 2 strands of RG-6 connected to a Hughes HDVR2 (DirecTiVo). Man, I love it! I haven't used the guide in days now that TiVo is [creepily] figuring out the kinds of shows/movies I like to watch... :-D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Artemido
Actually, I DO have DirecTV. 18x20 3xLNB dish made by Trek with 2 strands of RG-6 connected to a Hughes HDVR2 (DirecTiVo). Man, I love it! I haven't used the guide in days now that TiVo is [creepily] figuring out the kinds of shows/movies I like to watch... :-D
Glad to hear it. At least one thing went right. :)

Sorry that I misunderstood and that hiding a 61.5 wasn't the issue. :(

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh... just moved into THIS place... :-D Besides, all the "being hurt" is over and done with... I just need to cover things up to avoid having all my effort be for naught...

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Artemido

That is a great product and easily worth the 20' fall to be able to use. You should make sure you haven't broken any laws by your act. Normally violation of lease terms is only a civil matter but you might want to research that. The fact you went to all the trouble to do this despite your orders to the contrary is proof you are hard headed. Since you fell on your head without serious injury is confirmation of that fact. I hope whatever your head hit on the fall wasn't damaged too greatly.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.