AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bah...I got some new 4ohm speakers last night and I was in sonic bliss, but I accidently had my cable wires from the two outputs touch each other and there went my 15-year old 2-channel Creak Audio integrated amplifier. It won't power up anymore.

I've also got an old Rotel 2-channel integrated that has bad output from one of the speaker output.

Any one have a suggestions on places that will fix amps for a decent price? Where do you guys go when you have broken gear?

I know of one place locally in Los Angeles, but they were a bit pricey when repairing on my other amp, but they did do a good job. The repair did cost over $300, but it was for an expensive amp ($1400+), so at the time I felt it was worth it. I'd like to find a cheaper place if possible.

I'd be willing to also try an online place and ship it to them if it's worth doing so. I'm sure both the Rotel and Creek are out of warranty by now.

As far as locally, anywhere in the LA area is fine, from the Valley to OC (I'm in the Southbay/beaches area).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Check the fuse(s). Both buss and pico-fuse.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingturtle /forum/post/20943803

I know of one place locally in Los Angeles, but they were a bit pricey when repairing on my other amp, but they did do a good job. The repair did cost over $300, but it was for an expensive amp ($1400+), so at the time I felt it was worth it. I'd like to find a cheaper place if possible.

Pricey is dependent on what they had to fix
! Just getting out a repair depot for something minor is going to be $100...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
For Rotel:

Henry Radio in West L.A. - Alan is tech

310-820-1234 x265

For Creek:

Call Leland at Music Hall Audio and he will give you Mitch Silverman's phone number.

B.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/20944953

We explained why we charged 50.00 to replace a fuse.

.50 for the part and 49.50 for knowing where to put it.

Spot on. I have customers that go: It couldn't have taken that much to write that electronic contract signature system... My question right back at them: So what languages do you program in?

It's about the know how...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out!

Good points about cost, too. I should be able to relate as I do programming and have to explain costs to clients as well.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I do not repair amps as a commercial venture anymore, but as a hobby. I am in Palmdale, CA if you can't find someone closer. I could take them one at a time.

I don't charge 50.00 an hour anymore as I am semi retired. Usually about 25.00 / hr plus parts and shipping.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist /forum/post/20947166

I do not repair amps as a commercial venture anymore, but as a hobby. I am in Palmdale, CA if you can't find someone closer. I could take them one at a time.

I don't charge 50.00 an hour anymore as I am semi retired. Usually about 25.00 / hr plus parts and shipping.

PM me if interested.

Thanks Gizmologist for the offer. I really appreciate it. Really nice rates, too! If the other options don't work out, I'll definitely consider PMing you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts