AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did something stupid last night. I opened up my RCA reciever with the card still in. It broke the card reader halfway off the board. I've tried everything to get it back in place, but there are pins on the board that are very diffecult to line up with reader. All I get is an "Insert access card" when I turn on my unit. Does anyone know if this is worth getting fixed or if it's something that I can repair myself?:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
While I haven't looked at it recently, It may be possible to desolder the right side card reader, and solder it into the place of the left side as the right side isn't used. You will have to look at it carefully to make sure it is the same type of socket though............

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Those dang Access Cards... With that door hiding it it is so easy to forget it.

Assuming that all your card reader wire contacts are still connected (not broken) and the card reader "Switch" (tells the UTV if the card is IN or OUT) is working... You'll just need to realign the contacts. This can be hard since there is very little room to work...

As a DIY project it takes time, but can be done. Bend the contacts upward and align them so that the reader will reseat itself... The contacts should look like the ones in the smart card reader just farther back...

Need more help let me know.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

lgodavid

The contacts are badly bent. I don't think I'm going to have a lot of luck aligning the contacts. How about replacing it?

Does the hole motherboard have to be removed?

Or can you solder from the top?

Any other precautions?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Lgodavid (Lgodave) here.

I didn't need to remove the card reader. I've been able to avoid tinkering with my 5 UTVs with a hot metal iron as of yet. (no tuner failures)

I used a couple small Jeweler's screwdrivers to bend the contacts up. To get a little extra room I had to bend the card reader up on it's rear contacts. The contacts may be badly bent but if you can align them and make them resemble the contacts in the Smart Card Reader you should be good to go.

Replacing the Card Reader might be needed but if it fails you may not be able to go back...

Give it a try. You might save yourself a bigger headache.

Later,

David T.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it working! The cover of my card reader had loosed up from the damage. I got it off with ease and saw exactly what the contacts where spoused to look like by looking at the intact front contacts. I aligned all the contacts properly and super glued the top cover.

Works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.