Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short: (sorta)

lightning strike. victims were a linksys router, craftsman garage door opener, and my 490. lol smoke came from the craftsman, and the linksys is fried. but the 490....

with power applied, the hdd and fans spin. no green light, tho, and no joy. no video at all, no flicker as power is applied, nothing.

none of the remote commands (411, 12357 etc.) have any response. i've tried jumping j1103, no change. i've powered up w/o the hdd, i don't know if it's wanting to dial out and load an os or not, because still no video or green lights.

checked f001 (on the power board right behind the power cord input), it's good and well seated. (i've seen posts alluding to the fuses but for the life of me i can't find another).

i've left it unplugged for a week at a time now, and dismantled it including all ribbons and ide cables, re-assembled, checked for clean contacts on all cables, nada.

the one thing i can find amiss on the board is part d2311, (between the two tuners) which seem to have a corner broken off. this is odd, as i found the missing piece nearby on the board. i've been into this unit before, when i upgraded the drive to a 120G, but that was over a year ago. there was no physical disturbance coinciding with the failure, so unless lightning cleanly broke off a corner of this piece, i'd guess i broke it clumsily a year ago somehow and it's just been laying there. it doesn't seem to be broken so deeply that it interferes with the circuit, it's just a corner of insulation/plastic packaging that's chipped off. i only mention this because it's the ONLY thing i can see amiss.

here's where i show my ignorance, as i'm a dss buff, but not an electrician. what is this part, and could it be the source of my problem?

any other suggestion is welcome. i've looked at truett as a last resort, but this seems like it should be something stupid i just don't see.

a bud's tivo was wacked by the same storm, i looked at his mobo and the fried parts were VERY obvious, looked like a small fire had been started on one of the chips. no such damage anywhere that i can see on my unit, but maybe i'm just naive about my ability to see the problem.

iD

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, lightning can certainly blast one or more without there being any visable trace.

D2311 is a zener diode at the output of the voltage regulator chip (lnbp13sp) that controls the voltage sent to the lnb. I doubt seriously if this diode being bad would kill the whole unit.

I would look at the power supply first. This will take someone with some knowledge of electronics and the schematic which is available.

good luck

kazak

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.