AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a stupid/silly question given the quality of this projector. However, I see there is a broken D-ILA on Ebay, anyone care to discuss what the pro's vs. con's of purchasing one sight unseen. Could this be a diamond in the rough, or better to steer clear even at this price being so low.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Depends on whats wrong with it. If the optical block is bad (the main D-ila panel assembly), then you would be looking at about a $4k-$5k repair!! That is a big reason that JVC and other companies do not guarantee a dead pixel free projector! It is by far the most expensive part in the unit, and it is hard to find a perfect one. I'd be very careful, especially at that price (must have a bunch wrong with it).

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Quote:
There is no spot to put a plug in it and there is a rattling inside like something is loose.
Otherwise from the pictures, it has the connection panel, lenses, etc.

Heck maybe somebody just pulled the power supply and EVERYTHING else is there.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
They mention a "rattling" in the projector if you shake it.

It could be that the plug just came loose from its seating and is inside the case. If its just a simple matter of putting the plug back into the seating (aligned with the hold), it would be the steal of the year.

Of course, if it's completely dead beyond repair, it's a quick way to lose a few hundred $$$.

I would think that the gamble would be worth it if there was a way to find out just what might be wrong.

Heck, even if it just has a bulb in there with low hours, the bulb could be resold here on this forum and more than pay for the whole projector!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know much about the projector other than it's an expensive piece of equipment, but I think if it stays under $300.00 to $400.00.... could be worth it. Would anyone like to take that gamble. Wouldn't you have to take it in to a JVC service center?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milori!!! Looks like your willing to gamble on that unit afterall. I guess if you win, you'll have to let us all know the outcome. Can you imagine getting one with a broken plug for only $400.00 or so. Wow!!!!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If you could find out what was wrong with it, then it would no longer be a gamble. it should remain a gamble, just to keep the fun in it. i think that at the very least, the entire power supply is missing.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Durwood,

I've been gambling on this one for a few days. How do you think the price got up to $300?

I kept getting out-bidded, and I really just wanted a box of parts. If I knew that there was a low-hour bulb in there, the box of parts is still a good deal, but climbing...

I fear that we are bidding on different things. I want a cheap box of parts, and I'm bidding against folks who want to get a steal on an "easily fixable" D-ILA projector. I think that I will lose that battle.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori
They mention a "rattling" in the projector if you shake it.

It could be that the plug just came loose from its seating and is inside the case. If its just a simple matter of putting the plug back into the seating (aligned with the hold), it would be the steal of the year.

Of course, if it's completely dead beyond repair, it's a quick way to lose a few hundred $$$.

I would think that the gamble would be worth it if there was a way to find out just what might be wrong.

Heck, even if it just has a bulb in there with low hours, the bulb could be resold here on this forum and more than pay for the whole projector!
Leave it to Mark to look at it with his cool analytical style ("rattling inside" scared hell out of me right off) and find the possible "steal of the year" and "bulb" angles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Milori, I understand. I think it is really a long shot to think the actual projector works. It is a gamble, no doubt about that. The other strange thing, and I use strange cautiously, is that anyone picking something up at a "flea market" either seriously underestimated it's worth, or overestimated..............depends how you look at it. I think if I knew more about it like some here on the forum, the risk would be justified. I am anxious to see who wins...........hang in there Milori, maybe you'll just find that diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
599 Posts
A note about bidding strategy on ebay -

If you want to bid on something, you should decide what you're willing to pay, AND THEN WAIT UNTIL 30 seconds before the auction closes to bid.

There is absolutely no reason to bid until then. You only drive the price up, and add to the number of bids. This attracts more bidders because the number of bids makes it seem like it must be a desirable item.

Stay away until the last few seconds.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi

I emailed the seller. She said she doesn't know if there is a lamp in it. My guess is that the projector has already been someones parts machine, and is now being sold as a case with a lens- just a guess.

The fact that the powetr jack is missing suggests that someone has pulled parts. The lack of cosmetic damage seems to indicate that it wasn't just dropped.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Great point, Jeff! I hadn't thought about that. I would hate to open it up and find some broken PCBs and cobwebs in an otherwise empty case!

Rick - Thanks for the eBay tips. I guess my auction newbieness shows. I did find out how to plant an on-going agent for "D-ILA" a while back, though. I received an e-mail when this item went up, which was really handy.

How do you possibly remember to check back 30 seconds before the auction closes? Can't I bid, and specify a "time" to submit the bid (like 10 seconds before close)? That would seem easier than sitting there at the bell.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori
How do you possibly remember to check back 30 seconds before the auction closes? Can't I bid, and specify a "time" to submit the bid (like 10 seconds before close)? That would seem easier than sitting there at the bell.
You can do that with third-party programs. I just do it by hand, because I don't want *anyone* to have my ebay password.

So, yes, I do remember to be there at auction end. Calendar programs (Outlook) and a Palm Pilot or a wristwatch with alarm can help. C'mon, you're online (like me) all the time anyway, right?

:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$500.00 now and soaring, incredible really. This is beginning to seem like going to Del Mar Racetrack and watching the horses run........... The more I think about it, the funnier it is.............I sincerely hope that if someone from this forum does get it, that they report their findings to us the inquisitive, just for kicks. This is kind of fun in a way. I keep watching the price soar and soar. What if it gets over $1000.00 in the last 10 minutes...................it wouldn't be that unbelievable considering what a working unit runs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm..... did anyone else happen to notice the amount of JVC affiliated items he is auctioning off as well? Granted, they aren't even in the same ballpark as the D-ILA, but JVC does seem to be prevalent here...........interesting anyway.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
And there is a very good chance that what was sold is not even worth $76.00

--Jerome

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
did anyone else happen to notice the amount of JVC affiliated items he is auctioning off as well?
Sure is an amazing coincidence that with all the other JVC items he has, that he found a G11 at a "flea market". Isn't it? ;)

I've been to about a thousand flea markets (conservative figure)

and I ain't never seen no video projector at one yet.

Bob Wood

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.