AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my last move a friend (I'm actually evaluating his status right now) dropped my precious Outlaw 1050. :mad: Now the tuner doesn't work, the volume dial on the unit only functions sporadically, the video switching is shot and worst of all, the audio goes in and out when I play most DVDs in Dolby Digital. However, everything else is just fine, including the amp. When it works, the audio sounds as good as ever.

I'm on a limited budget for the time-being because I just bought an HDTV, so I need a low-cost replacement. In the meantime, I've always wanted to go the separates route and I thought this might be a sort of "opportunity"-- if you'll call it that-- to start. So I did a little hunting on the net and I found a used Lexicon DC-1 surround processor on Audiogon for $500. Those puppies used to go for around $3000, if memory serves. Should I buy one of those Lexi's and use the 6 channel input on the Outlaw to make it an amp (a weird configuration, but it works, right?) until I can pony up the dough for a good 5 channel amp? Would it sound better than my current setup?? (that's the most important question) Or is there better way of transitioning to separates? All I'm really looking for is good, clean-sounding 5.1 Dolby Digital for DVDs and HDTV. $500 is the max I can spend.

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and if there's a different preamp or surround processor out there that's got component video switching, that would be even better.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Contact Outlaw. They may have some nice options.

And for about $500, you can get a 950. If the amp stage of the 1050 is still good, you could use it while saving for a nice multi-channel amp.

Consider this disaster to be an upgrade in disguise. :p

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just picked up an Acurus Act-3 for $250 on the 'Bay. No real video switching but hey, at that price it is almost disposable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.