AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months back I neglected to clear my SATA cable out of the way as I was installing a fan behind the HDDs in my Sonata II case and bent one of the plastic SATA housings off the mobo. Have you had any luck repositioning and reattaching the plastic housing over those tiny connections, or should I just consider this a learning experience? I'd like to get this 4th SATA working and add one more internal HDD without having to buy a PCI-e card... Although before I'd do that I'd spend the $$ to build another system (they're soooo cheap these days) and retire this (with its 3 SATA ports) to other duty.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
if you're good with a soldering iron, this should be relatively easy.

There are 2 ways they mount. Some are surface mounted and others have posts that go through the motherboard. The latter is probably easier to fix. Of course, the lead-free solder most things use now is extremely difficult for a home user to work with.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't examined it closely (as you can tell from how I snapped it off while I was trying to do a 'simple' in-place mod) but thought it was a surface-mounted plastic recepticle that surrounds the electrical pins... I sorta thought aligning the contacts into the housing and using a dab of super glue to reattach it to the mobo might work. Seems I'm either way off base in my 'thinking' this, or this just isn't something many on here have dealt with.

I appreciate your allowing me to bounce this around...

·
Registered
701 Posts
it *might* work that way, but the way a sata connector is built the copper contacts on the connector are not separate pins from the flat plastic piece itself, the copper contacts are laid into the mold and the plastic is poured into the mold making them essentially one piece. If it's broken off then the contacts have come with it. Pushing it in place and holding it there with superglue might work, but so much as a wiggle and it could pop off again or just wiggle loose enough to corrupt your data.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I've had the plastic retainer come off while unplugging a cable, was no problem to put it back on. Most likely nothing is wrong with the pins, just straighten and put it back on. Make sure you put on in the correct position.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
yea, the key is whether the electrical connectors have come of the motherboard. If it's just the plastic...you don't really even need it.

Often, when a surface mounted connector breaks, it won't always break at the point of contact with the board...it will stretch/pull some of the PCB traces along with it. Also, that lead-free solder has a very high melting point...and it's also one of the big reasons modern electronics just don't last as long as they used to.

And if you use solder to repair it and any of the 7 circuit paths touch one another, you will very likely toast your motherboard when you turn it on.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If you have a spare PCI or PCI-E slot available then there are inexpensive SATA controllers you can install to add more SATA ports. I'm only putting this out there as an alternative to performing surgery on your motherboard. Motherboards are generally multi-layer PC boards and soldering devices to them can be an extremely difficult task. If you're not careful you could end up rendering your motherboard useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts