AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I bought a 52" XBR4 last year, and the display broke once, and now again. I have three replacement options from Sony:

(1) Fix the same unit for free, with no extension of the warranty

(2) Get a replacement XBR4 (refurbished), which would have an extra 9 months of warranty

(3) Get a brand new XBR6 by throwing in an extra $300, and there would be a 1 yr warranty on that new tv.

Any suggestions? I'm reluctant to get a refurbished unit (who knows what it has been through), fixing my prior set leaves me without any warranty at all on what has proven to be a pretty flaky unit - but are there any big diffs between the XBR4 and XBR6 - could the XBR6 be worse in any way? Better? $300 for the peace of mind sounds good to me, provided that the XBR6 isn't worse in some way?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the picture is better on the xbr4. I would not accept a refurbished xbr4. I would get the xbr6 check out the forums here for the correct picture settings. If you adjust the picture the xbr6 can look pretty good. It looks horrible out of the box.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I always get refurbished products. Why? They have already had a problem, gone through more through testing to find the problem and now fixed for sure. I'll take that over a new one any day that may have infant mortality. As you can see they even offer a longer warranty on the refurbished as they know it will last longer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'd probably get your XBR4 fixed. My opinion is that the XBR4 is a better set overall than the XBR6. No way would I get a refurbished one because you don't know its history. At least you know the history of your XBR4.

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhas5 /forum/post/15580067

I always get refurbished products. Why? They have already had a problem, gone through more through testing to find the problem and now fixed for sure. I'll take that over a new one any day that may have infant mortality. As you can see they even offer a longer warranty on the refurbished as they know it will last longer.

you'd take a refurbished product over a new one...?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Currently, I have an xbr4 with no problems,that I'm very happy with. If I was told I could have a brand new xbr6, if I gave up my xbr4, I think I'd stick with my xbr4. The xbr6 (in my opinion) isn't worthy of the xbr badge, as it offers nothing that the Z series doesn't have. The exception is size. Sony doesn't make the Z series in 52". Hence the xbr6. The flagship sets for last tear were the xbr 4/5 series. This year, the flagship is obviously the xbr8, so the xbr6 isn't the top shelf set you paid for when you purchased your xbr4.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL /forum/post/15581150

you'd take a refurbished product over a new one...?

How do you know your 'new' tv didn't blow up in smoke on the factory line. They replace the parts and send it on it's way. Never been sold... so it's new. Reburb'd... worked and had and issue. Taken back and tested and verified the bad part, replaced. Probably won't ever break again, unlike a new which 'may' break because it hasn't been run long enough. All my refubed products have never broken. Can't say that for the new one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts - I guess I'm tempted by the potentially better HD picture on the XBR6, with the deeper blacks being reported, etc.....Wish they kept the XBR4 styling, but.....tough call here.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, let me ask this then - the only real reason I'd go for the XBR6 is reports of better blacks and better HD/Blueray picture. How much better is the XBR6 than the XBR4 in terms of blacks and HD quatlity?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts