AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/30#post_23858452

When CBS has the Super Bowl, for example, they don't put NCIS on after it... NCIS is their big draw, it doesn't need a Super-boost... I tend to think networks with the Super Bowl put shows they want to give a ratings boost to in the after-Super-Bowl spot.

Last time Fox has the Super Bowl, they put Glee up after it. At the time, Glee was probably the biggest profile show that Fox had.

26 million viewers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/07/glee-super-bowl-ratings-are-in/

I'd say that's actually pretty impressive, considering the cross-section of Glee viewers doesn't intersect with football fans by very much, I'd imagine. I know that it was watched at my house that year, but only by the wives/girlfriends who attended my Super Bowl party, while all the guys went outside to keep drinking beer.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
They tried promoting it during last Sunday's Fox NFL Sunday when Riggle did his picks segment.

By the way, Riggle took the golden sombrero, again (0-4).

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Riggle's been a disappointment over Caliendo. But then again, I'm not a fan of Fox's pre-game show, preferring CBS (or not watching pre-game at all).

·
Registered
6,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/50_50#post_23860001

Last time Fox has the Super Bowl, they put Glee up after it. At the time, Glee was probably the biggest profile show that Fox had.

26 million viewers.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/07/glee-super-bowl-ratings-are-in/

I'd say that's actually pretty impressive, considering the cross-section of Glee viewers doesn't intersect with football fans by very much, I'd imagine. I know that it was watched at my house that year, but only by the wives/girlfriends who attended my Super Bowl party, while all the guys went outside to keep drinking beer.

Watching Paint Dry after the Super Bowl would do good ratings, though... that's the point. They put a show that isn't doing great after the Super Bowl for a boost. I watch Glee too... so I'm not knocking Glee as a show... but I'm sure it does nothing close to 26 million viewers in its normal timeslot.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
It normally gets 5 million viewers in its recent seasons. Back then it was getting 11 million, so 26 was still more than double its usual viewership. There wasn't any boost afterwards, either.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm enjoying Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it is well received by critics, and it's just unfortunately not getting the ratings that it should be getting. It's a pleasant surprise, and I'll keep watching it until it's cancelled.

I am not watching Dads, New Girl, or Mindy. None appeal to me whatsoever.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I'm still watching this but I can't see any reason why it won two Golden Globes. It's still just the same as when it started - passably entertaining - and hasn't done anything particularly funny since. I don't even think Samberg is the best performer on the show.

·
Registered
28,057 Posts
Because Golden Globes voters - the foreign press - have heard of Andy Samberg. They know he used to be on that sketch comedy show originating in New York. Plus, they've heard of New York.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I don't find this show funny in any way what so ever.

·
Registered
11,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24204268

I'm still watching this but I can't see any reason why it won two Golden Globes. It's still just the same as when it started - passably entertaining - and hasn't done anything particularly funny since. I don't even think Samberg is the best performer on the show.
+1

I was shocked it won, I watched it for several episodes but gave up, it's "ok" but LOTS of better shows out there.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24204600

Because Golden Globes voters - the foreign press - have heard of Andy Samberg. They know he used to be on that sketch comedy show originating in New York. Plus, they've heard of New York.

Exactly. The show is ok, nothing great. But the same reason they have 2 wins is the same same reason Michael J. Fox was even nominated for MJF show: the Hollywood Foreign Press is a big joke. Note that the best movie-comedy category didn't even have any true comedies (okay, you can argue Wolf of Wall Street was a black comedy, but that's it)!

On Entertainment Weekly Radio on Sirius XM, before the GG's, they said Brooklyn 99 might win (for both of its noms) because the Foreign Press "likes to reward new shows." And the Nominees were The Big Bang Theory; Brooklyn Nine-Nine; Girls; Modern Family; Parks and Recreation. Seems like Foreign Press is all about "Buzz" because the last season of Girls is widely accepted as not being good (and not funny), and, frankly, in terms of HBO comedies, the final season of Eastbound & Down that aired in the fall was hilarious, but since that show stars Danny McBride and not Michael J. Fox or Ted Danson, no GG love.

The worst part of this is B99 is the post-SB show, and there will be so much hype for the "Gloden Globe Winning" series that follows the SB.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I thought the last couple of episodes showed a marked improvement in laughs per minute. They seem to be rounded out what each character brings to the table. I normally do not put much stock in award shows Modern Family keeps winning awards hands over fist and I have yet to find the funny in that show.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24205240

I was shocked it won, I watched it for several episodes but gave up, it's "ok" but LOTS of better shows out there.

If you haven't seen all the episodes, how can you judge the show?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/0_100#post_24206289

While this is a fair question, many people like me gave up, we have it already pegged as it sucks. Once people do that, its very hard to go back and give it another chance.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24205574

I thought the last couple of episodes showed a marked improvement in laughs per minute. They seem to be rounded out what each character brings to the table. I normally do not put much stock in award shows Modern Family keeps winning awards hands over fist and I have yet to find the funny in that show.

Yeah. No laugh track to tell you when to laugh. Poor thing. A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24207366

Yeah. No laugh track to tell you when to laugh. Poor thing. A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.

These are television shows if some one does not like them it is OK. I did not insult your family I just stated my preference.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/50_50#post_24207366

A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.
You think that "Modern Family" has a character named Jay played by an actor named Neil Pritchett?  Are you thinking of the character Jay Pritchett, portrayed by actor Ed O'Neill?

·
Registered
11,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24206302

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/0_100#post_24206289

While this is a fair question, many people like me gave up, we have it already pegged as it sucks. Once people do that, its very hard to go back and give it another chance.
Yes thats the boat I was in. I watched it for several shows(maybe 6??) which is more than a one and done or  the few that I watch a couple and decide no, but to me it just didn't seem like it was going anywhere. Now I know a show like P&R(which I've watched since day one) started out slow and many people bailed before it got real good but I personally didn't think B99 was going to turn around. Now I guess if the general consensus is it's really turned around I might revisit it but I only have so much time to watch TV and if after 6 episodes it just doesn't jell I'll probably not return.

To those of you who like it, good for you, winning any award(even the GG) has to be good for the show and how long it might stick around

·
Registered
5,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60_60#post_24205240

+1

I pretty much had the same thought. I like it a bit more than "ok" but can't believe that this was the GG winner and especially Andy Samberg winning the individual award. His character is funny but jeez.

I don't know about some other of the shows but Trophy Wife is better than B99 and I wouldn't give any GG to that show other than individual to the cast which is great. I don't watch P&R nor Modern Family so I don't know how they relate.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts