AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Modern Family is funny at times, but really from the get go has been hit or miss. Some are VERY funny, some are meh, some just don't make me laugh.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24208277

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/50_50#post_24207366

A couple of Jay's (Neil Pritchett's) lines in last week's show were hilarious, if they didn't go over your head.
You think that "Modern Family" has a character named Jay played by an actor named Neil Pritchett?  Are you thinking of the character Jay Pritchett, portrayed by actor Ed O'Neill?

Sorry. It was late.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I think the show has been consistently really good. Not great yet, but good. And bonus points for not having a laugh track.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I have had more laughs watching Dad's then B99, that says something, just not sure what.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24210865

I have had more laughs watching Dad's then B99, that says something, just not sure what.

com·e·dy [kom-i-dee]

noun, plural com·e·dies.

1. a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.

2. that branch of the drama which concerns itself with this form of composition.

Despite those in this forum who believe the show with the most "laughs per minute" is the best comedy, that is luckily not the case. If I want maximum laughs per minute, I'll go to the local comedy club and catch an act. Subtle TV comedy, like "Modern Family" and "Brooklyn 9-9" is comedy at it's best, IMO.

"I'm fine, he's only one. I watched him pee into his own face and smile. - Jay Pritchett

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Well that was the end if the first season. It's definitely improved so I'll be back next year. The show reined in some of the characters so Chelsea Peretti isn't always acting like she's stoned and Joe Lo Truglio isn't just a slapstick machine and sorry loser, although they almost sent him back there in this episode. Andre Braugher had some funny occasions to break out of his stone faced role too.

Highlight of the season finale was Stephanie Beatriz trying not to laugh at Samberg's exit.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn  /t/1491260/brooklyn-nine-nine-on-fox-hd/60#post_24534242

Highlight of the season finale was Stephanie Beatriz trying not to laugh at Samberg's exit.

I don't think it was accidental, as I interpreted it as an in-character reaction. Rosa was enjoying Jake's antics in the privacy of the office, but as soon as Jake opened the door, she had to go back to being stone faced for the sake of deceiving the rest of the untrustworthy people at the precinct. Ever since the episode where Amy failed to get a picture of Rosa smiling, Beatriz has been grinning at various jokes (the darker the better), whereas she never cracked a smile in the early episodes. I'm guessing Beatriz got told to start doing that when the director enjoyed the effect in the camera episode, so her character has been toned down a bit, too.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't know about the rest of this thread, but I am loving this show. I was an early supporter and I think it was well deserving of the Emmy it got this season. Looking forward to it's return!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Didn't think I'd like the show, but it semi-hooked me early on and by mid-season I was invested. The highlight of the final episode to me was the slo-mo musical costume change that suddenly stops playing the music. It's one of those idiotic moments that good comedies have me hitting the back button on my remote over and over until my wife threatens to kill me. It also doesn't hurt the show that Andre is an amazing actor.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
This returned on it's new night yesterday to okay ratings. The Simpsons/Family Guy crossover night may have helped so we won't really know how it affects the show until next week. It was a much better rating than the finale of season one however.

And it was also pretty funny I thought. Plenty of good lines and the "wet mouth" scene I thought was great. Terry Crews should get an Emmy for playing "unattended backpack".

The show still feels more like a series of sketches and one liners than a cohesive sitcom to me though.

Reactions: acebreathe

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Thought it was pretty much a "meh" show. Hopefully it gets better. The captain was really the only good part of the show.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
The show still feels more like a series of sketches and one liners than a cohesive sitcom to me though.
The Big Bang Theory felt that way to me the first few seasons. Episodes would just suddenly end in what felt like the "middle" of a plot. Surprisingly, those early seasons were what I thought of as the funnier episodes.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The show isn't hilarious, but it's consistently funny enough to hold my attention. First episode wasn't great, but it had Jenny Slate in it, so that was a plus.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
‘Gotham,’ ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ renewed by FOX
By Tony Maglio |Saturday, January 17, 2015 | thewrap.com

Fox has renewed “Gotham” and “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” for a second and third season, respectively.

The orders were announced Saturday at the Television Critics Association press tour by Dana Walden and Gary Newman,Fox Television Group’s chairmen and CEOs.

“Gotham” is averaging a 4.2 rating in the advertiser-sought 18-49 demographic and 10.6 million total viewers thus far in its first season. The Batman prequel comes from executive producer Bruno Heller. Danny Cannon executive produced and directed the pilot; John Stephens also executive produces. “Gotham” is based upon the characters from DC Comics and produced by Warner Bros. Television.

Season-to-date, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is up 17 percent versus last season in the key demo, averaging a 2.7/7.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is produced by Universal Television, 3 Arts Entertainment and Fremulon. The series is created and written by Dan Goor and Michael Schur. The series is executive-produced by Goor, Schur and David Miner.

http://www.thewrap.com/gotham-brooklyn-nine-nine-renewed-by-fox/

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Wow, was this thread was buried. From HOTP:

TV Notes (Broadcast)
Bill Hader to Replace Andre Braugher as ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Captain
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - Aug. 6, 2015

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” has found its new boss in the form of Bill Hader, who will replace Andre Braugher as Andy Samberg’s precinct captain.

Captain Holt (Braugher) took an NYPD Public Relations job on Fox comedy’s Season 2 finale. The character will still be on the show, just in a new gig.

Hader’s captain — described only as “efficient” — will guest-star on “Brooklyn’s” Season 3 premiere, which airs Sep. 27. It is currently unclear if Hader’s character will recur, but a person with knowledge told TheWrap that he will not be a permanent replacement.

The season premiere of “Brooklyn” will also feature a guest appearance from Archie Panjabi, who appeared on CBS’ “The Good Wife” for six years, as Lieutenant Knox, a police officer with a crush on Joe Lo Truglio’s Detective Boyle.
“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” returns to Fox Sundays this fall.

Hader, an alum of “Saturday Night Live,” was most recently seen opposite Amy Schumer in Judd Apatow’s “Trainwreck” and he’s also a prolific voice actor, with roles in Pixar’s “Inside Out,” “The Good Dinosaur” and Sony’s “Sausage Party.”

He is represented by UTA.

http://www.thewrap.com/bill-hader-to-replace-andre-braugher-as-brooklyn-nine-nine-captain/
They had better live up to that promise of it not being permanent. Holt and Jake were the perfect pair.

·
Premium Member
35,826 Posts
Wow, was this thread was buried. From HOTP:

They had better live up to that promise of it not being permanent. Holt and Jake were the perfect pair.
I agree, this really changes the dynamic of the show. Braugher was really the only reason I watched this otherwise silly show, if he's no longer there, I'm gone.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
If we can believe the article, I think the idea is just to provide some extra gags at the start of the season, probably as Jake et al. try to undermine the new chief in order to get Holt restored to his rightful position. If it works that way, I'm all for it (as long as it doesn't take too many episodes to finish the plotline). If this is a prelude to Andre leaving the show, I'll have none of it.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I agree. This is not a cause for concern. It even states that it's just a guest-starring role, not in any way permanent. Braugher is also still a full cast member, which means he'll be in every episode.

My only disappointment with this announcement is it is a massive spoiler for the "Who replaces Holt?" cliffhanger... but hey, that's new media for you.

Bill Hader is hilarious in everything he does, and I look forward to him on this show!

·
Registered
780 Posts
1/2 an episode and ... DONE... for Bill Hader. He was funny for the time he was there.

Dean Winters... I feel will be the total opposite character. I'm hoping he will bring some "Mayhem" to the show.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts