AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Must be a bad sign that there is no interest in this movie or these guys...

I like Cheadle lots, so I'll see this for sure (at home).

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm actually pretty interested in this one. The cast is intriguing... plus it's good to see Snipes in a major release again... I just hope he doesn't end up in a Tyler Perry movie any time soon. Or EVER.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My rental copy stopped after an hour and wouldn't progress any further. Too bad, as I was enjoying this. Tough, gritty crime dramas are rarely made these days (much less made well). Guess I'll have to settle for OnDemand.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
I got Brooklyn's Finest at my neighborhood BB yesterday evening but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I just hope it's better than the BD I exchanged for it, A Single Man, which had a premise so dreary even sensational performances by Colin Firth and Julianne Moore couldn't save it. Yuk!

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP /forum/post/18875108

Previous brief thread on it...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227736

I have yet to see it, but I'll be renting it at least, as Don is one of my fav actors...

Thanks. I did a search but stopped looking down the list that came up when this thread showed up. Since the earlier thread contains only 5 posts, the most recent of which was made nearly 5 months ago, I think I'll stay here.

·
Registered
22,560 Posts
Watched a Netflix copy tonight. Nothing special, it's a pretty standard formula cop show. Really irritating mood music playing almost constantly through the whole film. Definitely a renter. BD disc defaults to lossy DD. LPCM 5.1 track is very good quality.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/18877038

threads merged

Thanks, it occurred to me last night that it would be a good idea for a moderator to merge the threads.

I watched the movie last night and ended up rather liking it. At first I was put off by all the dysfunctional characters and dreary situations but gradually got pulled in by the story. I can't remember the last time I saw a film with such a talented ensemble cast. As usual, Will Patton blew me away and Ethan Hawke was wonderful too but somebody please tell me those tattoos weren't real. Ellen Barkin was great, too, as a senior cop with the personality of a piranha.

On the technical front the default soundtrack on the BD was standard DD 5.1. To get to the uncompressed version you have to opt for Linear PCM 5.1. It was fine, the functional equivalent of DTS-HD MA or TrueHD, but I thought it odd at this late date for the default to be the lossy version of the audiotrack. The PQ was just fine, too, but, given the film's dreary locales, I am not sure that it was particularly important.

At the end of the day, there is not much there there in Brooklyn's Finest but it is an expertly made, exciting film filled with outstanding performances. I give it 7 out of 10 stars.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I thought the soundtrack was good in some places, iffy in others (yes, I was sure to switch to pcm on the bluray). Seems like everything and the dialogue was pushed down in volume quite a bit just so the gunshots could give you a real kick in the ears (at full-scale digital output?...if not that, there is a generous dynamic range between the gunshots and pretty much everything else that makes sound in the movie). I'm not saying it sounded bad, though. They pop with impressive impact, but the dialogue is deep down in there on the volume dial.

I thought the movie was kind of slow paced and plodding, but still interesting from the perspective of studying the mental dramas in each of the main characters (which I assume that is why we are really brought into the film). The movie has high-energy action scenes in it, but it isn't really what makes the movie stand, imo. What struck me the most is how the destructive effects on the psyche in police work are comparable to war combat (just less accelerated). It changes you as a person, perhaps into something you don't like or other people (family) don't like. Yet, it is absolutely necessary to grow that shell to survive in that environment. It's an entirely different structure and organization to it, unlike ordinary (civilized) civilian life.

The movie also exposes an entirely new layer of bad guy in addition to the obvious parties of evil drug dealers and amoral/dirty cops. It is the nebulous bureaucracy of police administration that sits above all of that (and where the drug money "really" goes...a tangible element for people to readily grasp these days, where unprecedented waste is increasingly apparent in political houses at city/state/federal levels- "we" toil in this erratic rat race system that has been set up for us to "exist" in, while "they" watch on from ivory towers and further architect how to build a better world with the resources that are a product of our toil). I'm not trying to make specific judgments of relative evil when I describe it in those terms, either. I'm just paying note that it is all one big ugly system from top-down, for better or worse. There is no front line or demarcation where good and bad exists. If you are "lucky" (or there is some method to the madness), you just get through 22 years of it with your life intact, so you can retire.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
This movie is so boring, it put me to sleep before I even intended to watch it. And I have not watched it yet.

Big box office dud. No surprise. Gere is poison for years now.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/18890288

This movie is so boring, it put me to sleep before I even intended to watch it. And I have not watched it yet.

Big box office dud. No surprise. Gere is poison for years now.

I still like Richard Gere and thought that he was fine in Brooklyn's Finest. I agree, though, that about the the best thing he has been in since Pretty Woman, 20 years ago, is Chicago, a musical for heaven's sake!

As for the film, I was a little put off at first by how horrible most of the characters were but gradually got pulled in by the Byzantine bureaucratic infighting and the personal peccadilloes of most of the cops. Brooklyn's Finest is a long way from being a great film but I thought, despite its longish 132 minute runtime, it was worth my trouble to watch.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Be sure to check the alternative endings in the extras! The Richard Gere one seems pretty fitting, but I can also respect the way they chose to end the movie, from a standpoint of keeping it ambiguous or maybe as a sense of hope that now something in his life is different.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
This one is an HBO or Showtime viewing for me. I do like Ethan Hawk, by the way. Great actor. But I don't like him THAT much.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.