AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's official. Pierce is out, and he's jiggy wit it. Next candidate? I hear Sean Connery is available. ;)

Associated Press

NEW YORK - A single, surprising phone call and it was over. That's how Pierce Brosnan says he learned that his services as James Bond would no longer be required.

"One phone call, that's all it took!" the 52-year-old actor tells Entertainment Weekly magazine in its Aug. 19 issue.

Brosnan starred in four Bond films. He says that before they stopped negotiations, the producers had invited him back for a fifth time.

"You know, the movie career for me really started with Bond," says Brosnan, acknowledging that by the time "GoldenEye" premiered in 1995, he was already 42.

He then starred as 007 in "Tomorrow Never Dies" (1997), "The World Is Not Enough" (1999) and "Die Another Day" (2002).

His departure from the role was a "titanic jolt to the system," says Brosnan, followed by "a great sense of calm."

"I thought. ... I can do anything I want to do now. I'm not beholden to them or anyone. I'm not shackled by some contracted image. So there was a sense of liberation."

Brosnan says he's grateful to have had the role, but adds: "It never felt real to me. I never felt I had complete ownership over Bond. Because you'd have these stupid one-liners - which I loathed - and I always felt phony doing them."

He plays a foulmouthed, skirt-chasing hit man in the upcoming film "The Matador."

"(For this) to come on the heels of my departure from the world of Bond is sweet grace, to play this one as a farewell to that chapter in time - it certainly wasn't planned."

·
Registered
111 Posts
As much as I've enjoyed many Bond films over the course of my life, I have to wonder if maybe they should simply let the franchise rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
Well, it's official. Pierce is out, and he's jiggy wit it. Next candidate? I hear Sean Connery is available. ;)

Associated Press

NEW YORK - A single, surprising phone call and it was over. That's how Pierce Brosnan says he learned that his services as James Bond would no longer be required.

"One phone call, that's all it took!" the 52-year-old actor tells Entertainment Weekly magazine in its Aug. 19 issue.

Brosnan starred in four Bond films. He says that before they stopped negotiations, the producers had invited him back for a fifth time.

"You know, the movie career for me really started with Bond," says Brosnan, acknowledging that by the time "GoldenEye" premiered in 1995, he was already 42.

He then starred as 007 in "Tomorrow Never Dies" (1997), "The World Is Not Enough" (1999) and "Die Another Day" (2002).

His departure from the role was a "titanic jolt to the system," says Brosnan, followed by "a great sense of calm."

"I thought. ... I can do anything I want to do now. I'm not beholden to them or anyone. I'm not shackled by some contracted image. So there was a sense of liberation."

Brosnan says he's grateful to have had the role, but adds: "It never felt real to me. I never felt I had complete ownership over Bond. Because you'd have these stupid one-liners - which I loathed - and I always felt phony doing them."

He plays a foulmouthed, skirt-chasing hit man in the upcoming film "The Matador."

"(For this) to come on the heels of my departure from the world of Bond is sweet grace, to play this one as a farewell to that chapter in time - it certainly wasn't planned."

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:

"One phone call, that's all it took!" the 52-year-old actor tells Entertainment Weekly magazine in its Aug. 19 issue."

Well 52 years old, he could always try to get Q's job :D

IMHO James bond needs to be a guy in his late 20s or early thirties not some 52 year old man.

Quote:

Well perhaps he should write the script or book for a Brosnan like Bond.

To me a good actor needs to accurately play the role that is asked of him not dwell into his own vision. On liners are part of Bond whether Brosnan likes it or not.

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
I just find it very sad that Brosnan, who as an actor was the best Bond after Connery, had to have the atrocious Die Another Day as his departure from the franchise. I would have liked to see him go out with something decent.

As I think of it, though, Connery had Diamonds are Forever and Moore had A View to a Kill as swan songs, so maybe it's just a hallmark of the franchise that each actor goes out with a dud.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
Quote:

"One phone call, that's all it took!" the 52-year-old actor tells Entertainment Weekly magazine in its Aug. 19 issue."

Well 52 years old, he could always try to get Q's job :D

IMHO James bond needs to be a guy in his late 20s or thirties not some 52 year old man.

Quote:

Well perhaps he should write the script or book for a Brosnan like Bond.

To me a good actor needs to accurately play the role that is asked of him not dwell into his own vision.
I don't get this- you're upset that Brosnan is upset that they ruined the Bond series with cheesy one liners? He, as an actor, hated the cheese, voiced his frustration and you're mad?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I just find it very sad that Brosnan, who as an actor was the best Bond after Connery, had to have the atrocious Die Another Day as his departure from the franchise. I would have liked to see him go out with something decent.

As I think of it, though, Connery had Diamonds are Forever and Moore had A View to a Kill as swan songs, so maybe it's just a hallmark of the franchise that each actor goes out with a dud.
Maybe that's not a coincidence. They produce a dud, and find a scapegoat.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Red
I don't get this- you're upset that Brosnan is upset that they ruined the Bond series with cheesy one liners? He, as an actor, hated the cheese, voiced his frustration and you're mad?
I am upset or mad? :confused:

What on earth gives you that idea? :confused:

I simply provided my opinion stating that Brosnan is too old to play Bond and second that his idea of shaping the character is counter to how I believe a movie should be directed.

By the way cheesy one liners are the trademark of James Bond and he wants to get rid of it. :rolleyes:

If anything was ruined in the series it is the redefinition of James Bond as the sexist womanizer to simply a womanizer. ;)

·
Registered
28,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I thought they roped Connery into doing that bizarre remake of Thunderball, Never Say Never Again (I don't even consider it part of the Bond Canon), after Diamonds Are Forever (which did have the delicious Jill St. John, after all). Talk about a crummy way to bow out... :(

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
For what it's worth, Moore was 50 when one of the best was made - The Spy Who Loved Me. He was 52 or older in the 4 he made after that.

If we took a poll, I think Connery in Goldfinger would be the ideal bond. He was 34 at the time.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
I am upset or mad? :confused:

What on earth gives you that idea? :confused:

I simply provided my opinion stating that Brosnan is too old to play Bond and second that his idea of shaping the character is counter to how I believe a movie should be directed.

By the wat cheesy one liners are the trademark of James Bond and he wants to get rid of it.

If anything was ruined in the series it is the redefinition of James Bond as the sexist womanizer to simply a womanizer. ;)

Well, you said 'he shouldn't dwell on his own vision' which came across to me as slight resentment. If not, forgive me.

I do however, completely agree with the womanizer, brute, etc but the one liners should be COOL, not CHEESY :) Also, you don't need one after every action sequence or bad guy death.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Well, you said 'he shouldn't dwell on his own vision' which came across to me as slight resentment. If not, forgive me.
No problem.

Quote:
I do however, completely agree with the womanizer, brute, etc but the one liners should be COOL, not CHEESY :) Also, you don't need one after every action sequence or bad guy death.
Well it looks like the cheesy one liners finally pierced Brosnan :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll bet you that Pierce will be back, this posturing has been going on for a year, If you were the head of Sony (the buyers of MGM), would you trust pouring over the $100 million in production and advertising costs over the likes of Daniel Craig (he has a name in the UK but not in the US), the hunky doctor of ER (the Croatian guy) or some other unknown. Hugh Jackman has evidently turned down the role. They need the picture to make money and Pierce has the track record (the billion dollar bond total grosses).

I don't think he's old, however casting a hot looking babe near the range of 40 will be impossible (total mismatch of Sophie Marceau and Denise Richards in the World Is Not Enough.) I think the problem lies there. The longer this charade goes, the better the chances for Brosnan although he's not getting the $20 million he was looking for. They want to get this movie in theathers by Nov 06.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
You can’t take away what Brosnan has: very good looks, and a sexuality that served him well, starting with Remington Steele. You have too think Clive Owen will get a chance, and there isn’t anything wrong with that choice. But I still like Jason Statham or Russell Crowe. If only George Clooney had the accent, he would be the ‘mans man’ and my choice, with great looks and the suave needed for the part.

·
Registered
30,352 Posts
Instead of trying to rope actors into multi-picture deals, I wish they would change Bonds with each film. I think many actors that are reluctant to become "the new Bond" might be more willing if they knew it was a one-time deal, allowing the franchise to attract talent that normally wouldn't consider a recurring Bond role.

There have been many names suggested: Hugh Jackman, Clive Owen, Russell Crowe, Jason Statham, Jude Law, Ewan McGregor, etc. I'd enjoy seeing each one of them play Bond once (though not in the same film of course).

Sanjay

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Well it looks like the cheesy one liners finally pierced Brosnan :p
:D Wow, that was cheesy.

I don't think Russell Crowe or Hugh Jackman would make good Bonds.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
I thought they roped Connery into doing that bizarre remake of Thunderball, Never Say Never Again (I don't even consider it part of the Bond Canon), after Diamonds Are Forever (which did have the delicious Jill St. John, after all). Talk about a crummy way to bow out... :(
Arch, Connery actually was involved in the production end of that movie, because he owns rights of some sort to Thunderball (I forget the details). That was essentially an "unauthorized Bond", which did not involve the usual producers etc. of the Bond series. As a consequence, none of the usual actors (Q, Moneypenny) were involved, and they couldn't even use the signature Bond theme from Monte Norman (IIRC his name).

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens
If only George Clooney had the accent, he would be the ‘mans man’ and my choice, with great looks and the suave needed for the part.
Gotta disagree. He's too light in the loafers to carry Bond's weight ala Connery. I would fear he would do for Bond what he did for Batman. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994
If you were the head of Sony (the buyers of MGM), would you trust pouring over the $100 million in production and advertising costs
So what they need to do is *not* make a $100 million picture. Cut out all the fat (including most of the special effects and stunts), ditch the $20 million actors, and make some lean pictures staring somebody who makes a great Bond, even if nobody in the US has heard of him.

Not that that would ever happen.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph
Gotta disagree. He's too light in the loafers to carry Bond's weight ala Connery. I would fear he would do for Bond what he did for Batman. FWIW.
It’s something that won’t happen simply because of the accent. Having someone without the accent or adding an accent when there isn't one just wouldn’t fly in the public’s eye, at least it wouldn’t in mine. As far as being light in the slippers: If spaghetti thin Brosnan did 5 Bonds, then I don’t think Clooney would have a problem. His list of rough and tumble movies proves that to me. I seem to recall having this discussion a few months back. Guess we'll be discussing it again in a few more.:D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.