AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So my brother has increased his budget to $100 for new surrounds. I am leaning toward the Sound Appeals as recommended here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ppeal-bookshelf-do-they-have-some-appeal.html but I wanted to see if anyone else wanted to chime in.

His Current setup:
Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver
Polk RT800i towers
Polk CS400i center channel.
Onkyo Front Speakers seen here (being used as surrounds): http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400...ds=onkyo+s3400

So what would be considered the best pair of surrounds for $100?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Hello all,

So my brother has increased his budget to $100 for new surrounds. I am leaning toward the Sound Appeals as recommended here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ppeal-bookshelf-do-they-have-some-appeal.html but I wanted to see if anyone else wanted to chime in.

His Current setup:
Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver
Polk RT800i towers
Polk CS400i center channel.
Onkyo Front Speakers seen here (being used as surrounds): http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3400...ds=onkyo+s3400

So what would be considered the best pair of surrounds for $100?

Thanks for your help!
Since he's already got Polk LCR speakers, they have pretty good sound quality (for the price), and because they give you several different mounting options, I would recommend Polk OWM3's. I believe they would be an upgrade over the Onkyo speakers. While he may eventually want to replace them with something better (more expensive), the small size and versatility of the OWM3's means that he could probably find another use for them if/when he upgrades again. Most other $100/pair speakers won't necessarily work with the decor/furniture arrangement in a bedroom/office, without some compromises, so would end up being donated to someone else or thrown away.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since he's already got Polk LCR speakers, they have pretty good sound quality (for the price), and because they give you several different mounting options, I would recommend Polk OWM3's. I believe they would be an upgrade over the Onkyo speakers. While he may eventually want to replace them with something better (more expensive), the small size and versatility of the OWM3's means that he could probably find another use for them if/when he upgrades again. Most other $100/pair speakers won't necessarily work with the decor/furniture arrangement in a bedroom/office, without some compromises, so would end up being donated to someone else or thrown away.
Thanks for the response. Knowing my brother, he will probably keep these for quite some time, and space isn't a real issue. I would think any pair of bookshelves would work fine. We would prefer them to be able to be hung though.

·
Registered
19,542 Posts
Thanks for the response. Knowing my brother, he will probably keep these for quite some time, and space isn't a real issue. I would think any pair of bookshelves would work fine. We would prefer them to be able to be hung though.
You can hang the Sound Appeal, and have different options to do it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. So it really sounds like that's the best option? Any others worth considering?

·
Registered
19,542 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
He's a Polk fan so why not a pair of Rti4's? They should match pretty well with his current setup. Can get them for $100 used. Have wall mounts built in.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I was the polk fan. Now I'm diy. He got these when I built my new setup. :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have no problem with b stock. Does that change anything?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. For my brother, I think he'll like the sound appeals. Ordered them up. Thanks so much for your help.

Reactions: zieglj01
1 - 14 of 14 Posts