AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new PS3 owner (current 80gig model) and I love it so far. After the new firmware update I have started using the PS3's web browser to watch shows on hulu.com. For the most part it works OK, but when I try and watch the shows at the hi-res/480p setting I get a memory error and the page closes. I am able to watch the lower resoloution just fine but on a 50" TV it looks pretty bad. Anyone know any way around this? Is there a way to increase the memory cache size for the PS3 browser?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethhol /forum/post/15498302

I am a new PS3 owner (current 80gig model) and I love it so far. After the new firmware update I have started using the PS3's web browser to watch shows on hulu.com. For the most part it works OK, but when I try and watch the shows at the hi-res/480p setting I get a memory error and the page closes. I am able to watch the lower resoloution just fine but on a 50" TV it looks pretty bad. Anyone know any way around this? Is there a way to increase the memory cache size for the PS3 browser?

Nope, Sony would have to free up more memory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/15499463

Nope, Sony would have to free up more memory.

Thanks, that was my guess. Maybe a future firmware update will solve this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle /forum/post/15505053

I haven't tried it yet, but the PlayOn media server might help.

http://www.themediamall.com/playon

I am too cheap to pay the 30 bucks after the trial is up. I will just have to live with the lo-res for now which is honestly is not that horrible.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallout2600 /forum/post/15506535

I've tried it and it is worth the 30 bucks in my book. I bought it and use it everyday...It also has Netflix support.....great software....it does convert any movie it streams to mpeg2 on the fly...

I too use it (mostly on XBOX, but it works great on PS3 too). Probably the best $30 I've ever spent on a third party application.

Plus, for you PS3-only owners, it streams Netflix too. That alone is worth $30 if you don't have an XBOX (even if it won't do HD stuff). Hulu in 480p is just icing on the cake.

At the very least, it's worth checking out the trial.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/15506983

I too use it (mostly on XBOX, but it works great on PS3 too). Probably the best $30 I've ever spent on a third party application.

Plus, for you PS3-only owners, it streams Netflix too. That alone is worth $30 if you don't have an XBOX (even if it won't do HD stuff). Hulu in 480p is just icing on the cake.

At the very least, it's worth checking out the trial.

PlayOn sounds great, but (and this could be a whole other thread) I have a linksys wrt54gs router that works much better with the media server function turned off on the PS3. I have seen some fairly complicated solutions online for getting the PS3 to function properly with this router so maybe I will give it a try. Any of you using PlayOn have a linksys wrt54gs router? And if so does it work ok with the PS3 when you are using the media server function?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts