AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently updated the software on my HTPC to Win 7 Pro for the OS and KODI 14.1 for the user interface. I run that system with a Logitech Harmony IR remote via a ASRock CIR receiver on the HTPC. The system is working good. However I would like to occasionally use a web browser from the KODI interface. I have found a way to open a browsing session, however the IR remote command do not work inside the web browser.

Does anyone have a solution for controlling a web browser with an IR remote?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
There used to be a program called "RemoteKC" that would allow you to use your remote as a mouse pointer. You could switch from "mouse mode" to regular remote mode, back and forth by either the * or # key (can't remember which now). Not sure if that will help you or not though. Browsing the web with a remote is ghetto in any event--a real PITA and takes forever to do anything.

·
Registered
15,201 Posts
Orteck protocol MCE remotes have a mouse pad and buttons. Those commands (8 directions, IIRC) could be added to any universal remote, provided you use an Ortek dongle. I've implemented it on my universal remotes by using the num pad for all the directions and buttons. Then use a pop-up onscreen keyboard for alpha entry. Then when you get frustrated with all of that in about 15 minutes, pull out a real keyboard/mouse like the Logitech k400 or smartphone app like Hippo Remote.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this, works great with my harmony ultimate

http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-...id=1426297278&sr=8-1&keywords=rosewill+remote

you can set commands in the harmony page/program to open your browser, you can also control the page for page up or down and foward and back

I remember their used to be a free app on the android/apple market that had a keyboard with mouse function over wifi, sadly I cannot remember the name, im sure some one can chime in if they know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Does anyone have a solution for controlling a web browser with an IR remote?
Both of my HTPC's use the logitech diNovo mini. It's a Bluetooth device, so it's non-ideal for powering on a system. It works pretty good for web surfing, but I admittedly don't do that very often. The range is very good.

The only other solution I've used is Unified Remote. The keyboard/mouse functions work well enough. It works over your wireless network. You can use unified remote to power on a system (using wake-on-LAN), but it's still a little awkward to use.

Neither of these solutions make use of IR, and neither of them would be what I'd consider "ideal" solutions, but they'll both get the job done. Most IR solutions, in my opinion, would be decidedly less comfortable to use.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Then when you get frustrated with all of that in about 15 minutes, pull out a real keyboard/mouse like the Logitech k400 or smartphone app like Hippo Remote.
Just pull out the smartphone/tablet and use the web app there. No need for a remote app so you can strain your eyes reading a web page on your TV from across the room.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just pull out the smartphone/tablet and use the web app there. No need for a remote app so you can strain your eyes reading a web page on your TV from across the room.
Strain your eyes? Never been a problem for me. 135% desktop fonts and zoom in IE is enough to make it perfectly usable from ~12ft away on a 55" set @ 1080p. I mainly use my laptop for web browsing but almost anytime I have the HTPC on I use IE on it at some point...including reading/posting to AVS ;)

Browsing with a remote would definitely be a PITA, as mentioned--I don't try to do that nonsense, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts