1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
No, Australia is Region C.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
HD-DVD IS region free, BR is not. It is one of the advantages HD has over BR.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
What incentive would Buena Vista have for setting the region encoding to restrict this title? Seems to me that they would want to set this one to all regions.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
oops, my bad. Doesn't Australia also use PAL?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 /forum/post/0

What incentive would Buena Vista have for setting the region encoding to restrict this title? Seems to me that they would want to set this one to all regions.

What incentive would they have to set region encoding on *any* title? Yet they do.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboisvert /forum/post/0

What incentive would they have to set region encoding on *any* title? Yet they do.

Do you really need anybody to go over the reasons that apply to other titles that don't apply to this title? It is a whole lot different with a title where they don't own the rights in other regions.

--Darin

·
Registered
5,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maingon /forum/post/0

I thought Bluray was like HD-DVD where they were region free? I have a few imported HD-DVDs

having region coding is also one of the reasons bluray got more studio support, unfortunately.

to be honest region coding just encourages ppl to pirate. i have several region 3 coded dvd's i've had to purchase and then make a region free back up to watch it, tacking on an extra $2 for the dvd9 blank plus the time it took to rip and burn the damn things. i do hope this is considered fair use and doesn't make me a pirate.

it is just unfortunate the most consumer friendly copies of media are pirated copies.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I thought only new releases were region coded at this time and catalog titles were not region coded.

I would bet this one is not region coded, given the money that could be made selling it to the US and Japan.

But who knows?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/0

having region coding is also one of the reasons bluray got more studio support, unfortunately.

All the studio's were on board long before RC was even discussed let alone settled IIRC. The studio were part of the decsion making process and decided for optional RC.

People shouldn't be anti-Blu-ray because of RC, they should be anti-fox, anti-Disney etc.

Back on topic, BA is also being released in the UK on the 11th. Might be cheaper for some or you may prefer the cover art.

See here

·
Registered
734 Posts
So does anyone know if Buena Vista has been using region coding for catalogue titles in other regions?

It appears the POTC movies are region free.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Eccckkk.. I hated this movie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.