AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Wow!! THat is going to be a heck of a setup! 9 21" subs! Crap!!

I did what you did for speakers and added an extra pair. I worked with JBL and Curt for speaker placement. Curt really helped here.. I really designed the room for the MLP and it is a significant improvement over the other r\/ MLP row. It's a true sonic bubble. Sounds like you'll have that as well. The seondary row does sound excellent but the MLP row is outstanding. I think only you or I would even notice a difference.

I know all about changes and the sleepless nights and added time and cost. By electrician bill was astronomical!

It seemed to never stop (changes, some redos, I sent 4 subwoofers back to Mark when they were 2" too deep to fit behind screen and had to rebuy).

I feel for you but the end product, after all the headaches, is awesome!!

Recall I had system issues when you were in town!!!

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Wow!! THat is going to be a heck of a setup! 9 21" subs! Crap!!

I did what you did for speakers and added an extra pair. I worked with JBL and Curt for speaker placement. Curt really helped here.. I really designed the room for the MLP and it is a significant improvement over the other r\/ MLP row. It's a true sonic bubble. Sounds like you'll have that as well. The seondary row does sound excellent but the MLP row is outstanding. I think only you or I would even notice a difference.

I know all about changes and the sleepless nights and added time and cost. By electrician bill was astronomical!

It seemed to never stop (changes, some redos, I sent 4 subwoofers back to Mark when they were 2" too deep to fit behind screen and had to rebuy).

I feel for you but the end product, after all the headaches, is awesome!!

Recall I had system issues when you were in town!!!
Next time - if - I'm in town absolutely get together. Mark Burnstein's dog Kharma is barking for me to come visit again!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
SUBScribed!

·
Premium Member
10,643 Posts
Looks like we may end up with similar speaker layouts (11.x.10). I have considered a second row of theater chairs for as long as we have lived here but we just don't have enough times when we have more people than can utilize our only row. But I saw another theater that set up bar seating instead of a second row of theater seats so that is what we are doing. I don't have to build a riser, or add riser lighting or buy new expensive chairs. We already have received the bars but my wife is looking around for bar seating that is comfortable enough to use for a 2 hour movie. This seating configuration also makes the room work for a bunch of guys watching college football.

That is ONE of the reasons I decided to put in a second side surround (I already have Wides). The other is that I will then have a speaker every ~30 degrees up until the middle of the rear wall (no speaker there).

I currently have 3 rows of ceiling speakers. It was recommend that I add a VOG speaker (which DTS:X Pro or it up-mixer will use) and, of course, Auro. I will also add three front height speakers.

There is some good news out of all of this: After this non-upgrade upgrade, there won't be any place to put additional speakers (at least that makes any sense). And I sure as heck don't need any more woofage.

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Here's better photos (certainly not taken by me) taken by my installer of the front and rear of the theater as renovated/framed out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Steve, with all those subs going in your room, why not turn your riser into a broadband bass absorber? Insulate it, have large holes drilled in the floor joists so bass readily enters then dies, then vent the exterior members to aid in the bass waves entering it. You might want to run that by your acoustic guy/engineer. Just a thought as I did this with good results. Search “riser broadband bass absorber” on AVS if you want to read about it.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I am going to do that in my room. I didn't know there was a topic on it. I just cam up with the idea in my last room. I don't think I carried it through enough though. I thought just the vents with holes drilled through the studs would work. Are you saying you need holes on the top of the risor also?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Steve, with all those subs going in your room, why not turn your riser into a broadband bass absorber? Insulate it, have large holes drilled in the floor joists so bass readily enters then dies, then vent the exterior members to aid in the bass waves entering it. You might want to run that by your acoustic guy/engineer. Just a thought as I did this with good results. Search “riser broadband bass absorber” on AVS if you want to read about it.
I am going to do that in my room. I didn't know there was a topic on it. I just cam up with the idea in my last room. I don't think I carried it through enough though. I thought just the vents with holes drilled through the studs would work. Are you saying you need holes on the top of the risor also?

We already discussed this with Mark Seaton. Mark recommended we do a large bass trap along the top portion of the back wall, above the cabinets/component racks/subwoofers area, which we are doing. Mark felt that it was not necessary to do what you suggest for the riser because we are doing this already at the top portion of the back wall and Mark explained that having the bass trap above the listening area (11.93' high ceiling) is the very best place for the bass trap.However, we will discuss this with Quest as well, as the riser will remain open and unfinished on top until after we get Quest' recommendations.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
Wow! Coming along... you're photos are bringing back fond memories and a few sleepless nights with so many consequential decisions... Lookin' good!

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Looks like we may end up with similar speaker layouts (11.x.10). I have considered a second row of theater chairs for as long as we have lived here but we just don't have enough times when we have more people than can utilize our only row. But I saw another theater that set up bar seating instead of a second row of theater seats so that is what we are doing. I don't have to build a riser, or add riser lighting or buy new expensive chairs. We already have received the bars but my wife is looking around for bar seating that is comfortable enough to use for a 2 hour movie. This seating configuration also makes the room work for a bunch of guys watching college football.

That is ONE of the reasons I decided to put in a second side surround (I already have Wides). The other is that I will then have a speaker every ~30 degrees up until the middle of the rear wall (no speaker there).

I currently have 3 rows of ceiling speakers. It was recommend that I add a VOG speaker (which DTS:X Pro or it up-mixer will use) and, of course, Auro. I will also add three front height speakers.

There is some good news out of all of this: After this non-upgrade upgrade, there won't be any place to put additional speakers (at least that makes any sense). And I sure as heck don't need any more woofage.
Yes, I am now looking at 11.2.10 speakers, with the .2 being 2 sets of multiple subwoofers (total 9 21" sealed Seaton subwoofers) along the front wall and back walls of the theater, totally out of sight and out of the way. So I will be using 23 of the 24 channels available on my Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP.

Another significant change, for the better! The original idea of taking out the existing back cabinets/shelves and putting in new ones was to have component racks and disc storage back there.
Then I decided to take a lot of the disc storage away and place 3 of the subwoofers back there. Now in deciding to add a pair of Aerial 7CLRs for the 2nd row of seating, I realized that having the rear surround Aerial 7LCRs at the very back of the side walls was not only kinda close to the 2nd row 7LCRs (maybe 4 feet if even that), but of course the best placement for the rear surround 7LCRs would be similar to what Jeff "The Bland" has done as shown in his theater photos. On one side of the back wall, to the side, Jeff also has a door for entry to the theater, and Jeff has placed his rear surrounds equidistant on each side and just inside the entry door. So I have decided to forgo any disc storage, and we will be able to place the rear surround 7LCRs at the back wall. Though one of the rear surrounds will be built into one of the cabinet doors in front of the 2 Mid-Atlantic component racks. But as the component rack space is about 44 inches deep, there will be plenty of room to get in there. My installer is working out the details now.

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Wow! Coming along... you're photos are bringing back fond memories and a few sleepless nights with so many consequential decisions... Lookin' good!
As I discuss above, YOU are to blame for some of the delay and new decisions. Thank you! :):):) And Audioguy of course hasn't helped at all, either. But the good news is between us we got Audioguy back, as he is reneging on his prior statement of "No More Upgrades" and has become THE founding member of our "Audio-Holics" Club (NEVER TO NOT UPGRADE AUDIO VIDEO)!

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
As I discuss above, YOU are to blame for some of the delay and new decisions. Thank you! :):):) And Audioguy of course hasn't helped at all, either. But the good news is between us we got Audioguy back, as he is reneging on his prior statement of "No More Upgrades" and has become THE founding member of our "Audio-Holics" Club (NEVER TO NOT UPGRADE AUDIO VIDEO)!
... but of course the best placement for the rear surround 7LCRs would be similar to what Jeff "The Bland" has done as shown in his theater photos. On one side of the back wall, to the side, Jeff also has a door for entry to the theater, and Jeff has placed his rear surrounds equidistant on each side and just inside the entry door. So I have decided to forgo any disc storage, and we will be able to place the rear surround 7LCRs at the back wall. Though one of the rear surrounds will be built into one of the cabinet doors in front of the 2 Mid-Atlantic component racks. But as the component rack space is about 44 inches deep, there will be plenty of room to get in there. My installer is working out the details now.
Ooops.... Missed that... Sorry... :D

Discs??? Who needs discs anymore!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts

No holes on the top deck of the riser. The bass enters from outer perimeter vents/holes of the riser, then travels trough the holes in the wood skeletal structure.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Ok gotcha. That's what my plan was. So I'm all good then.

·
Premium Member
10,643 Posts
But the good news is between us we got Audioguy back, as he is reneging on his prior statement of "No More Upgrades" and has become THE founding member of our "Audio-Holics" Club (NEVER TO NOT UPGRADE AUDIO VIDEO)!
It is actually OK if you don't keep reminding me of this. FWIW, I actually have not broken the "letter of the law" in the specific words used in the note I sent my wife, but I most certainly have broken the "spirt if the law" - and will confess such when all is done.

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
My Seaton subwoofer order is almost ready! My theater upgrade/renovation still is in process, a few more months. My installer is finally over his walking pneumonia - this helps - and I think I am making my very last specification change, and its a whopper.

At almost age 67 I can't keep upgrading forever and forever [although I will keep my membership as the 2nd member of the "Audio-Holics" Club (promising never NOT to upgrade audio video), started by Chuck/Audioguy]. I want to get my theater done once and for all, with minimal upgrades to keep my charter Audio-Holics Club membership intact.

In the past six weeks, I revised my upgrade to add a second pair of side surround Aerial Acoustics 7LCRs for the back/2nd row, after "attending" a Trinnov webinar discussing this. Then it really hit me that the plan to put the rear surround pair of Aerial 7LCRs at the very back of the side walls just was not only too close to the back/2nd row side surrounds, but also that lets forgo disc storage at the back cabinetry/wall and instead just use that area for subwoofers and the pair of rear surround Aerial 7LCRs and some acoustic treatments. And as a natural consequence of this, and in discussion with Mark Seaton and my installer, it became evident that with the 3 subwoofers planned for the back cabinetry/wall to lay side-by-side, better to stack them in a stack of 3. Next comes I have room for a second stack of 3 subwoofers (all Mark Seaton's new 21" sealed subwoofers) NEXT to the first stack. This gives me a balance of 6 subwoofers in BOTH the front (below the screen) and back (2 stacks of 3) of the theater.

Is anyone wondering if I have lost my marbles? Or if this is an early April Fool's joke?

·
Premium Member
10,643 Posts
My Seaton subwoofer order is almost ready! My theater upgrade/renovation still is in process, a few more months. My installer is finally over his walking pneumonia - this helps - and I think I am making my very last specification change, and its a whopper.

At almost age 67 I can't keep upgrading forever and forever [although I will keep my membership as the 2nd member of the "Audio-Holics" Club (promising never NOT to upgrade audio video), started by Chuck/Audioguy]. I want to get my theater done once and for all, with minimal upgrades to keep my charter Audio-Holics Club membership intact.

In the past six weeks, I revised my upgrade to add a second pair of side surround Aerial Acoustics 7LCRs for the back/2nd row, after "attending" a Trinnov webinar discussing this. Then it really hit me that the plan to put the rear surround pair of Aerial 7LCRs at the very back of the side walls just was not only too close to the back/2nd row side surrounds, but also that lets forgo disc storage at the back cabinetry/wall and instead just use that area for subwoofers and the pair of rear surround Aerial 7LCRs and some acoustic treatments. And as a natural consequence of this, and in discussion with Mark Seaton and my installer, it became evident that with the 3 subwoofers planned for the back cabinetry/wall to lay side-by-side, better to stack them in a stack of 3. Next comes I have room for a second stack of 3 subwoofers (all Mark Seaton's new 21" sealed subwoofers) NEXT to the first stack. This gives me a balance of 6 subwoofers in BOTH the front (below the screen) and back (2 stacks of 3) of the theater.

Is anyone wondering if I have lost my marbles? Or if this is an early April Fool's joke?

Given your propensity for April Fool's jokes, this could well be. But, if it is not, then having 12 21" subs in your room clearly puts you at the front of the class - and will have no issue with any kind of "lift off".

One can never have too much woofage !!!

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Given your propensity for April Fool's jokes, this could well be. But, if it is not, then having 12 21" subs in your room clearly puts you at the front of the class - and will have no issue with any kind of "lift off".

I quit doing April Fool's jokes cause no one responded or care, some years ago!

But if anyone says I'm totally off my rocker or crazy for now I can just say its an April Fool's joke - of course until its all installed and running with pictures!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

I quit doing April Fool's jokes cause no one responded or care, some years ago!

But if anyone says I'm totally off my rocker or crazy for now I can just say its an April Fool's joke - of course until its all installed and running with pictures!
Steve

Since you are going through all this trouble , why not just do the Sony double stack and call it a day ...😀

101 - 120 of 152 Posts