Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chance to pick up the above amp but i have no clue what the

street price is and i don't want to get ripped off by the seller, the amp is about seven years old.

also, i'm considering an anthem mca 20 (a year old) but i can't listen to both amps in the same room.

i've auditioned both but i'm curious what the general opinion is about the above amps.

the bryston is build better than the anthem....IMO

·
Registered
292 Posts
A used Bryston 4B-ST goes for around $1200 USD (check www.audiogon.com ). You probably already know that Bryston offers a 20 year transferrable warranty so picking up a used 4B-ST poses little or no risk. The 4B-ST is a conservatively rated very powerful amplifier that is stable with low impedance loads. It's heavy and generates a fair amount of heat so make sure you have adequate ventilation.

I have owned the 3B, 4B-ST, 3B-SST, and the 9B-SST at various times and have found the amps to be musical with especially good bass control. The Anthem MCA 20 is a good amp but it doesn't have a 20 year warranty. The Anthem is also musical and very quiet. If they both cost the same I'd take the Bryston but you should let your ears decide.

I don't know about Anthem but my experience with Bryston customer service over the last 25 years has been outstanding. Many years ago my 3B failed due to lightning (clearly no fault of Bryston) so I returned it fully expecting to pay for the repair. Bryston upgraded and fixed the amp for free then paid to ship it back to me. The next week they called to see if everything was working OK. That 20 year warranty also helps with the resale appeal. I've never had a problem reselling a Bryston.

MT

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I second everything Mike said, although I have seen 4BST's with 15 years of warranty go for as mush as $1350-$1400 on eBay in "like-new" cosmetic condition with the original box, foam, and check out sheet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You should be looking at about $1600 - $1900 CDN. depending on age and condition. With 13 years left on warrantee and the fact you are in Toronto

(their service depot is in Etobicoke) it's a very low risk transaction. 4B-ST's although rated at 250 w/ch typically come with bench test reports of at least 300 w/ch before reaching rated distortion. I have a 6B-SST , 4B-SST and a a 4B-ST in my rig that were all purchased or traded for used and I'm very happy with at least the power aspect of my system.

Check canuckaudiomart.com frequently to get an idea of current pricing in beaver bucks.

Take Care

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A little off topic but related nonetheless, my current power section consists of a 5BST for L/C/R, and a pair of 3BST's driving the 4 surrounds. I've been considering upgrading to the SST series, at least for the front 3 speakers. Besides the increase in power do you think there is any noticeable difference in SQ between the ST and SST series? I've heard conflicting opinions....

·
Registered
178 Posts
To my ears, in my room, with my system the SST amps are smoother more transparent in the upper frequencies while the ST's have more of an "edge" to them. Both display the same authority in the bottom end with a slight edge to the SST's due to the extra power. Only two people have told me they prefer the ST's and coincidentally? they were both guitar players in rock bands that admittedly may have some hearing damage in the upper frequencies. So that "edge" may sound natural to them.

Take Care

·
Registered
273 Posts
The SST is also dead silent at idle. I like to think it's because of the redesigned grounding scheme it uses compared with the ST. You might perceive--to borrow from video terminology--deeper blacks and improved transparency not only in the upper registers but across the whole range.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm on the lookout for a 6BSST, but as far as the ST series is concerned all 3 of my amps are dead silent at idle. I can put my ear right up to the speakers and not hear a sound. My amps are on 2 dedicated circuits seperate from the video/source power circuit so I don't have any ground loop issues. Additonally all the chassis' share a common ground (rack mounted) so they have always been dead quiet. Regardless I want the additional power of the SST series because my M&K's need it. One great thing about Bryston is they hold their value very well and make upgrades very affordable once you take the initial plunge.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay........picked up the 4b st late last night.......listened at low volume and then today

at higher volume for hours and hours.......here are initial impressions when compared directly to a denon 3805.

bass......excellent control over the woofer when compared to the denon....the bass seems very tight/quick and it hits with authority......denons bass seems more loose but at the same time there is slightly more bass than from the bryston.......don't ask me, i can't explain it.

mids......very clear......very dynamic......zero muddiness.....the vote goes to bryston but less margin than with the bass

highs........airy with a slight edge to them but not tiring at all....just the way i like it.......denon seems a little harsh after loud/long listening sessions

speakers used were paradigm studio 80's v2 and monitor 9's v3........listened in stereo and

pure direct stereo...... cd's and dvd audio used

overall it was a lot closer between the denon and the bryston than i initially expected....but keep in mind that i didn't really crank the volume......the bryston is here to stay

thanks to all for the replies.......one annoying thing is....whenever i turn the bryston off i get a fairly loud, distorted, "scratching" sound as the amp is powering off....sounds horrible.....bryston says i should only be hearing a slight click upon power up but it's much more than that......any recommendations

·
Registered
292 Posts
If Bryston says you should only be hearing a slight click and you are hearing something more concerning I would return the unit to them for a check. Not only will they fix any start-up or power-down issues but they will fully test and recertify your amp to specifications under warranty. First I would check to make sure all connections were appropriate and tight (no frayed wires on the speaker or amp terminals, etc.).

Power down noise is sometimes caused by the incorrect discharge of the amps capacitors. Bryston will be able to quickly fix the problem if that's it. E-mail James Tanner at Bryston and ask if he thinks you should send the unit in for a look.

MT

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You can leave the Bryston amp on all the time to avoid that shut off noise. I believe some STs came with the 12V triggers while others did not. If I remember correctly, non triggered ST's can be made be included with the triggers by shipping the amp to Bryston and for a small fee.

Monty - a small tip - the 6B ST (and 7B ST) were the first to use the new Motorola (think that was it) transistors and SST topology. So there is a very little difference between the 6B ST and 6B SST. The actual differences between the 6B ST and 6B SST are documented by James Tanner (Bryston VP) at www.audiocircle.com So you may want to keep your eyes out for a 6B ST. Another tip, you want to pick up (literally and figuratively) a 6B with the handles on the front. The thing weighs a freakin ton. I would not have been able to "easily" or comfortably move the 6B around without the front handles. There are back handles though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.