AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Bryston 4BSST Amp. I have the amp connected to my Beklin PF60 power conditioner. I have it set up so that when I shut off my receiver, the receiver shuts off the power coniditioner and thus cuts all power to those components that are not set to "always on" When I shut off the power conditioner it simply cuts off power to amp. My question is this: Is this the proper way to be shutting off my amp within my system. I am worried that this might be harming my amp but then again I do not want to have to get up to turn off my amp manually, nor do I want to switch my power conditioner to "always on" for the plug that the amp is connected to because even at stand still the amp will consume 160 watts. Is there anyone who can put my mind at ease or tell me that I am harming my amp, or offer an alternative. Sorry for the length of this "question" Any help woudl be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Registered
200 Posts
jon,

although this does not answer your question directly, the brystons in my observation prefers plugged straight into the outlet. I used a number of power conditioner with my brystons much to their detriment in sound quality.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does not answer it but very helpful first hand knowledge nonetheless, so thank you. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W
I recently purchased a Bryston 4BSST Amp. I have the amp connected to my Beklin PF60 power conditioner. I have it set up so that when I shut off my receiver, the receiver shuts off the power coniditioner and thus cuts all power to those components that are not set to "always on" When I shut off the power conditioner it simply cuts off power to amp. My question is this: Is this the proper way to be shutting off my amp within my system. I am worried that this might be harming my amp but then again I do not want to have to get up to turn off my amp manually, nor do I want to switch my power conditioner to "always on" for the plug that the amp is connected to because even at stand still the amp will consume 160 watts. Is there anyone who can put my mind at ease or tell me that I am harming my amp, or offer an alternative. Sorry for the length of this "question" Any help woudl be appreciated. Thank You.
...don't worry about it...i do essentially the same thing with my 9B-SST & a PF-60.....i don't trigger my 9B directly because my sub amp doesn't have a trigger-in so i have the pre-pro trigger the PF-60 and hence the 9B and sub together off the PF-60 outlets. As you noticed the Bryston has slider switches on the back just for this scenario...so it can't be harmful. The only caveat is will your conditoner provide enough current......i suspect, if you wish to retain your hearing, it will. :)

Andy.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yep, Bryston suggest plugging directly in the outlet but if you want to rig something up you can do this:

trigger your Belkin Power conditioner on and then trigger the Bryston Amp with its built in trigger.

APS is also correct about the switches on the back. If you D/L the 3B/4B manual from the Bryston website it explains what these two slider switches do as they work together and the markings on them don't make a whole lot of sense by themselves.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I went through the manuel and with your help I think I figured it out. I just just kinda worried at first. I have the belkin set to delay the turning on of the amp then when it turns on the amp's red light comes on and then that switches to green and at the same time my subwoofer comes on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.