AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for an affordable amp to drive my Aerial Acoustics LR5 that I am using for a center channel speaker. Bryston is my first choice, but, it's a bit out of my price range.

I've recently seen advertised on EBay a model 7B mono-block. This is not the 7B-SST. I realize the 7B is an older model and probably out of warranty but is priced MUCH cheaper.

Are the differences between the 7B and 7B-SST substantial?

I have also seen 4B stereo amps advertised. I have considered this as well; planning to use just one of the channels.

Any one here upgraded to the SST and have any comments?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Many believe that the ST (Stuart Taylor) Models are the most desirable. The SST's are a continuation of the ST models. The ST models on fetch quite a premium on the used market. Some of it is they still have many years left on their warranty.

That being said, all Bryston Amplifiers have a 20 Year fully transferable Warranty so that 7B well might still be covered.

As to the differences between the older models and the current SST2 Models, many here believe, when level matched, all SS Amplifiers sound the same.

All I can say is I used to own a 3BNRB (pre ST) that I thought sounded great.

The 7B is a very powerful Amplifier and should work great for your application.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/18313740

all Bryston Amplifiers have a 20 Year fully transferable Warranty

I seem to remember that Bryston started out with lifetime warranties.

Ed

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have both a 3B-SST 3-channel and a 9B-ST 5-channel amps. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the two and believe me I've tried. There are a couple of things about Bryston amps that are worth considering: 1) they are built like tanks with individual amps for each channel. 2) output is typically 20-25% higher than rated. For example, my 9B-ST is rated at 125w per channel. The bench test spec's that were included with the amp consistently showed from 150 - 155 watts per channel, 3) they do have a 20-year transferrable warranty, and 4) IMHO they are totally transparent. Basically, you can't go wrong with a Bryston.

I don't know what your budget is, but have you looked at the Audiogon web site? There are several 4B-ST's in the $1,300 and under price range. Several 7B's too. At the main page, search for Bryston and see what's available. I've bought several pieces of equipment there with no problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch /forum/post/18313403

I have been searching for an affordable amp to drive my Aerial Acoustics LR5 that I am using for a center channel speaker. Bryston is my first choice, but, it's a bit out of my price range.

I've recently seen advertised on EBay a model 7B mono-block. This is not the 7B-SST. I realize the 7B is an older model and probably out of warranty but is priced MUCH cheaper.

Are the differences between the 7B and 7B-SST substantial?

I have also seen 4B stereo amps advertised. I have considered this as well; planning to use just one of the channels.

Any one here upgraded to the SST and have any comments?

Bryston changed their warranty policy I believe in (early) 2006 (it is on their website - bryston.com). If it was manufactured before that date it has the 20 year warranty from the date of manufacture (the way it has been before that). After that date, it has the 20 yr. warranty if you have a receipt from an authorized dealer (regardless of whether you are the original purchaser). There are differences between the ST series and SST series. The SST generally has a bit more power output vs. its equivalent in the ST series and probably has a membrane power switch. I know on the 14B (which is the stereo version of the 7B), there may have been some STs that are actually SSTs before they officially made the change. The SSTs are smoother and not as edgy on music. You can always send an E-Mail to James Tanner of Bryston and get complete details. He is responsive - [email protected] .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts